OK, Were in! New 16' Scamp owners - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2007, 05:31 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath (full of kids!)

Click image for larger version

Name:	ScampParts.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	10069
Hello Listers,
We just jumped in with both feet and purchased a 16' Scamp at Govliquidation.com . It was a great deal until One other person wanted it almost as much as we did.

Still, I think it will make for a great adventure. Next week we will head to French Camp CA and pick it up.
Once we get the basics done, we will hit the road and head North to Bend Oregon for a wedding. That should be a pretty good shake down cruise.

I will need to replace the front window and add tail lights.

Questions:
Is the window replacement straight forward? Do I need a new gasket if the other one is intact?
Any other words of advice?

Is the exterior window cover that comes with the newer Scamps a helpful thing or just more gadgets?

I assume the rear tail lights are very basic. I plan on ordering Everything from Scamp tomorrow unless someone can tell me there is a local source for parts around Stockton CA. The timing is tight to get the trailer and then head to the wedding. I don't think the bride and groom will wait for us.

take care,
Nolan
Nolan Scheid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 06:20 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
Congratulations and welcome!

You have a great resource close by - maybe you're already aware of it. NW RV Supply, which is on the east side of I-5 just south of Eugene. If you have the time, you might want to see what they have as you rebuild your Scamp. We've gotten some great buys there (a new propane tank for $16 and a new bag-style awning for $40).

I think a rock guard is a good idea. It was talked about recently - here is the link to it.

Good luck, and remember, we love photos!

Jeanne
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 06:33 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
I will need to replace the front window and add tail lights.

Questions:
Is the window replacement straight forward? Do I need a new gasket if the other one is intact?
Any other words of advice?

Is the exterior window cover that comes with the newer Scamps a helpful thing or just more gadgets?

I assume the rear tail lights are very basic. I plan on ordering Everything from Scamp tomorrow unless someone can tell me there is a local source for parts around Stockton CA. The timing is tight to get the trailer and then head to the wedding. I don't think the bride and groom will wait for us.

take care,
Nolan
Welcome to FiberglassRV Nolan... from another Oregonian!

Yes, if you're going through the effort of changing the front window...replace the gasket...get it and the lockstrip from Scamp. You'll also need a special tool that you can get cheap on eBay, etc. Get the front gravel guard and hardware too from Scamp. It will save the window that you just replaced. We'll give you ideas on how to turn it into an awning for the window... after you get it mounted.

Don't bother with the Scamp taillights... if you're going to replace, replace with 7" Bus LED lights. Here's a link of what you want to look for: Peterson Manufacturing

and lastly (from me ) check out the Northern Oregon Gathering topic HERE
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 07:28 PM   #4

You have a great resource close by - maybe you're already aware of it. NW RV Supply, which is on the east side of I-5 just south of Eugene. If you have the time, you might want to see what they have as you rebuild your Scamp. We've gotten some great buys there (a new propane tank for $16 and a new bag-style awning for $40).

Jeanne
[/quote]

Thank you Jeanne.
NW RV is right here and I had not heard of them. I will go see what they have soon.

Nolan
Old 09-13-2007, 07:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Welcome to FiberglassRV Nolan... from another Oregonian!

Yes, if you're going through the effort of changing the front window...replace the gasket...get it and the lockstrip from Scamp. You'll also need a special tool that you can get cheap on eBay, etc. Get the front gravel guard and hardware too from Scamp. It will save the window that you just replaced. We'll give you ideas on how to turn it into an awning for the window... after you get it mounted.

Don't bother with the Scamp taillights... if you're going to replace, replace with 7" Bus LED lights. Here's a link of what you want to look for: Peterson Manufacturing

and lastly (from me ) check out the Northern Oregon Gathering topic HERE

Hello Donna,
I was planning on ordering all of the stuff tomorrow and then would need to send it second day to make sure it was down there in time. If the tail lights are nothing special, perhaps I will just cover the broken window and head to the wedding. Then when we get back I can take my time.
If I am not pressed for time would I be better off cutting my own plexiglass? I bet someone in the archives has done that.

We will probably see you at the gathering. I will try to get my brother committed to bringing his Boller also.

Take care,
Nolan
Old 09-13-2007, 08:04 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
If I am not pressed for time would I be better off cutting my own plexiglass? I bet someone in the archives has done that.

Take care,
Nolan
The problem is not cutting the plexi, it's shaping the compound curve. The window is NOT flat.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:34 AM   #7

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Nolan, Scamp sells all of the parts to build a new trailer from a shell, so obtaining new factory replacements for any parts you may need should be pretty straight-forward. The Scamp parts and price lists can be found here on their site. Many of the parts you'll be able to find at any RV dealership, and some of them may even be available at your local home supply store. Good luck!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 06:53 AM   #8

Quote:
The problem is not cutting the plexi, it's shaping the compound curve. The window is NOT flat.
But it gets it shape when it's put in. The plexiglass is flat. I've got a new front window laying on my couch as I speak.

The window is around $50 from Scamp. I thought it was worth it to purchase from them. The shipping (ground) was pretty cheap when added to the gasket material and other stuff I purchased. I can't be certain, but someone has mentioned the plexiglass that Scamp uses is an unusual thickness not normally carried by retailers. I haven't verified that statement however. Is the back window plexi or glass? If plexiglass and in good shape, you might want to consider getting gasket material for it at the same time.

Is your window broken out, or merely cracked? Rather than rush anything, if it's cracked... get out the ole solution to everything (duct tape) tape that sucker up and go to the wedding.

Since you haven't seen the trailer, I bet when you finally do... it's gonna need a thorough cleaning We've heard dirty horror stories of govt trailers. Hope yours is a different case.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:58 AM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
But it gets it shape when it's put in. The plexiglass is flat. I've got a new front window laying on my couch as I speak.
I didn't know that, but it sure explains why it seems to be difficult to install.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:02 PM   #10

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Is the window really acrylic (such as Plexiglas®), or is it polycarbonate (such as Lexan®)? I'm not trying to be picky, but polycarbonate is quite a bit tougher, and if I were going to make one of these for use as a front window without a rock guard, I'd pick the polycarbonate. Home Depot (at least here) stocks both acrylic and polycarbonate, in various thicknesses (but maybe not the right one for the moulding...), both in some brand which is not specifically Plexiglas or Lexan.

Of course, the obvious and easy approach is to just use whatever Scamp sells...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:34 PM   #11

Trailer: 88 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
From looking at your pic it would appear that your scamp at one time had a rock guard. Unfortunately you will need to order the new one, or fabricate something else to work. The Hardware that Scamp is using to hold the guard in place is manufactured by Stanley. I got the new bag of hardware in for mine from Scamp a few weeks ago. Had I known, I would have gone down to the local True-Value, or Menards and just picked up the parts and avoided the extra in shipping.
DanPatWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 05:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Is the window really acrylic (such as Plexiglas®), or is it polycarbonate (such as Lexan®)? I'm not trying to be picky, but polycarbonate is quite a bit tougher, and if I were going to make one of these for use as a front window without a rock guard, I'd pick the polycarbonate. Home Depot (at least here) stocks both acrylic and polycarbonate, in various thicknesses (but maybe not the right one for the moulding...), both in some brand which is not specifically Plexiglas or Lexan.

Of course, the obvious and easy approach is to just use whatever Scamp sells...
It's Plexiglass (from Scamp), Lexan is heavier and yellows with age. Plus Lexan (I don't think) comes in the same thickness, now you've got a "fit-in-the-gasket" problem.

I finally put a gravel guard on my Scamp a year or so ago. For the first, nearly 20 years of it's life it didn't have one. There are two "stars" in the plexi after all that time. BUT, I don't think it ever saw a gravel road either. I've got a new front window to put it... when time allows!
Old 09-15-2007, 11:57 AM   #13

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
From wikipedia pages, acrylic has a density of 1150 to 1190 kg/m3, while polycarbonate ranges from 1200 to 1200 kg/m3. That's 3% to 4% more dense, or 3% to 4% heavier for the same thickness - not enough to be a concern, and too small to to even measure on a bathroom scale in a window size. Donna, were you just comparing different thicknesses, perhaps?

I had not noticed polycarbonate items - such as motorcycle helmet shields and automotive headlight lenses - yellowing with age... but maybe there is a difference. That might matter in an unshielded window.

The thickness availability will depend on local suppliers. With many manufacturers of each type, and many variations of each material, it will be a matter of what retailers stock in the area. It does seem more important to fit the gasket than to get the optimal material, especially since the genuine item from Scamp is the cheaper and less tough option... although they apparently tend to use it with a shield.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 03:19 PM   #14

Trailer: 87 Scamp 13 ft
Replace the gasket if you are going to the trouble of replacing the plexi. Get the gasket from Scamp. Remove the window and take it to a local glass shop,they will trace and cut a new piece. Thickness is 3/16" cost should be $35-40. You will want to buy or borrow a beadlock tool.
JOE DRISSEL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp