Old Subject - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2008, 09:39 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Well fuel prices on the rise once more. $1.10/liter here. The news said it could go to $1.50 by summer. Maybe we will be back to back to backpacking . Oh well i got a big back yard to camp in.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:47 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
For our USA friends this is $4.17 Canadian/US gallon. Keep in mind the difference from Canadian dollar and USA dollar is a penny or so at present time.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:25 PM   #3

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
As Reace @ Escape Trailers told me a long time ago, the prices of HIS and similar products are very definitely tied into the crude oil prices, so its a Good Thing you bought NOW instead of procrastenating and getting The SHAFT L8TER!!!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:26 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Exclamation

It's only money.

Maybe you can rent out your yard...
Old 02-21-2008, 12:12 PM   #5

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Chester,
That's about right. I've always found gas in Canada to be about a dollar higher than here in California. We are currently at $3.25 per gallon.

2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 03:48 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Good site for comparative pricing between major cities/areas in the USofA and Canada. Can do this week or last ten years or whatever, in Greenbacks or EhBucks:

http://www.alaskagasprices.com/retail_price_chart.aspx

If you want to feel good about local prices, enter BC, NS and Los Angeles on a six-month view.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 04:06 PM   #7

Trailer: Quantum-5 5th Wheel 1980
My theory is that I didn't work my whole life and save for retirement just so I can sit home. If gas goes to $10.00 a gal. I will just plan shorter trips and stay longer at one spot. . AS long as the price of beer doesn't go to high, I'll be OK.
Ron Wrighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 04:41 PM   #8

Registry
.........update (today) on prices just as of this A.M in lower mainland of B.C. Canada....

<span style="color:#008000"><span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS">$1.16.9/ L</span></span>

<_< ....did I leave any out?? <grrrrrr!!!>
Old 02-21-2008, 06:37 PM   #9

Trailer: 85 13 ft Scamp
Man, try Montreal QC to anywhere, I thought our gas prices jumped, but compaired to anywhere else, it really does hop, $1.21 yesterday, $1.18 today.

Shawn Englehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:52 PM   #10

Registry
OWCHIE!! I better take back 3/4ths of those emoticons!!!

BUT WAIT!!
There's M O R E!!!

Starting in July '08 B.C. ia instituting a GREEN tax of at least 1.5 pennys per L. and thats just to S T A R T .....almost makes me wanna move back to Winterpeg with Benny, LOL!!!!
Old 02-21-2008, 10:57 PM   #11

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
In a twisted way, I like to think of rising gas prices as a good thing, i.e. as the only way to really promote renewable/cleaner energy sources, smarter transportation, and, of course... eggs to replace all those big RVs!
Old 02-21-2008, 11:05 PM   #12

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

The big news here was that the price at the pump increased an average of $0.08 in ONE DAY. The news commentators were saying that before today, a price increase of $0.10 in a WEEK was newsworthy.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:59 PM   #13

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
In my recent trip to Krakow Poland gas price was equivalent to 7 US$ / USGal. No surprise why small cars and diesels are popular in EU.

George.
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:56 AM   #14

Trailer: 85 13 ft Scamp
Ugh, $1.18 yesterday, $1.23 this morning as I look at the half tank in my Dakota Have to step up our search for a car, just wish we could find something that will also tow the Scamp.
Shawn Englehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 01:24 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
In a twisted way, I like to think of rising gas prices as a good thing, i.e. as the only way to really promote renewable/cleaner energy sources, smarter transportation, and, of course... eggs to replace all those big RVs!
Actually, that is one of the prime motivators -- The railroad companies didn't stop clearcutting the landscape for railroad ties until trees became scarce enough to drive the price up and they had to start using treated lumber so the ties would last longer (Unintended Consequence -- Creosote plant sites are on SuperFund Cleanup Site lists...). The Industrial Revolution in Europe was reportedly started by the rising cost of labor due to some many dying from Black Plague (Hmm, plenty of pollution there). Electric cars are going to save fuel but maybe create piles of old batteries. We live in interesting times.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 02:27 PM   #16

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Gas at the Co-op here is 1.064 at pump, plus you get about another 7 cents or so back per litre in a yearly rebate........but the temps here for the last couple weeks were brrrrrrrrrr until today.....My fuel mileage in my pick-up truck is about 15 mpg ,(cdn imp), general driving.....we probably have the lowest gas prices in Canada......Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 07:17 PM   #17

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
today the gas went up 7 cents.. got gas this morning for the Toyota and pickup @ $3.18 a gallon... tonite it was $3.28..... sooooo i guess i will have to sock $$ into savings when I go camping.... I stay close to home anyways.. but the gas takes alot of out my pocket.. I think pulling the trailer i get around 15 mph.... I know when I get to grayland.. i use about 1/2 tank.. put more in before i head home ( its alot higher at the coast) so I am looking at least or close to $50 just to go.
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:00 PM   #18

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
I was planning a trip to Alaska as soon as school is out but I think that it is now on hold. I figured that fuel was going to cost about $2500.00 for the trip at present prices. I don't know if I can afford anymore and have a good time.
The enviromentalists and libs have been saying that we need to be paying $5.00 a gallon for gas for years. I guess their wish is coming true.
John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 10:04 AM   #19

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Yeah, the ultra Lib's I know always refer to Europe and England when they start saying we should pay more since those folks pay so much. I tell them there is a big difference. Europeans can drive through 5 or 6 countries on a tank of gas. And, according to my neighbor who is English, half their high priced gas is tax, where as our high prices are going straight to the Oil Companies. Then I ask them if they have stock in the Oil Companies or what!!!!

John, go ahead and bite the bullet...go to Alaska. Gas isn't going to come down measurably anytime soon. What goes up never seems to really come down, in this Country. 2 years ago my Alaska trip cost me about $2,500 from Sonora and back, 9635 miles. Gas was $3.45 when I left home and was any where from $2.99 to $3.25 in Alaska. The highest I paid was near $5 US per US gallon in Northern BC, twice.

What's the highest and lowest you are willing to pay. If the difference is .50 it'll either cost or save you about $350. If it's $1 difference then it'll either cost or save you about $700. There's is roughly 99 days until June 1st. That means if you saved $7 each of those days you'd have your $700 extra for the trip.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 11:42 AM   #20

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
I just received a March issue of Trailer Life. There is an interesting comparison of the recent RV shows from Louisville KY and Düsseldorf Germany. There is also good editorial intro by Kristopher Bunker – “Two sides to every story.” High cost of fuel is becoming a common denominator to drive RV technologies on both sides of the pond.

George.
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote