Old vs New - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2014, 10:27 AM   #1

Name: Neck
Trailer: Scamp
New York
Old vs New

I'd like to buy a new Scamp. However we haven't ruled out a used one. At first my wife didn't like the idea of a used one. I told if we bought a used one she can personalize it to make it our own. So she was looking at pics and came up with an idea. We are both Italian. She said she wanted me to add on the letter I to the end of Scamp, so it would say Scampi ! LOL. Don't think so.
Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 11:02 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Neck, buying used does save some money IF you can do all the work yourself, such as electrical, propane, water lines & water heater, furnace, wood work, rivet replacements, and maybe even some fiberglass work. We owned two different 13' Scamps, and loved making them "our own" through modification projects. Now that we are retired, we bought new and immediately starting making it our own through modifications.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 11:05 AM   #3

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
hi neck--i LOVE your wife's idea!! these trailers are thought of as "shrimp-y" by so many of the unconverted, that scampi is a great name.

i just hope you find one to call your own.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 12:54 PM   #4

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
There is a lot to be said for both new and used. As used prices climb higher buying new seems to make more sense, particularly if you would prefer a newer model anyway. Buying used means hoping to find what you want and reasonably geographically close. I bought used because it was the only option for me given my current financial situation, and my ability to do everything my Scamp needed/needs. And it needed a lot starting with a new axle. I will have more than doubled my “investment” in the Scamp when I am done, and that is not figuring anything for my labor. Triple would be more like it if I figured my time. But, that would still only put me into it for a little over half the cost of a new, similarly optioned Scamp. I should say that what I will have when done is not a configuration offered by Scamp so depending on your needs/wants buying used and modding may be the way to go. It would be pure lunacy to do the amount of work and sink the kind of money we do into an old “stickie” trailer, it is just a little wacky to do it with a FGRV. And "Scampi" sounds great!
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 03:27 PM   #5

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
If you enjoy projects and have time, find a good used one. If you want to just go camping and not fiddle around for weeks or months before then, buy new.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 03:39 PM   #6

New York
If I bought used, it would have to be turn key. I do have the know how , but do not have the time to do repairs.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:32 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neck View Post
If I bought used, it would have to be turn key. I do have the know how , but do not have the time to do repairs.
There's nothing wrong with buying new and modifying to your own. I think everybody that has bought new or used has done that. There's many you can do.
I built a clock mounting to put above the closet, a day clock (Saturday, Sunday, etc) on the corner of the overhead by the door. Most the cabinet doors have been changed from press board to sold maple and decorated by me. The wife made new curtains within a year. We acquired a mascot that often sits in the front window. I purchased a new spare tire cover and put my and the wife's ham call sign on it. I build a sink cover that doubles as a cutting board, and am about to finish version #3.

Lots of little things to make it your own. Decorate as you wish, and it will be admired.

P.S. We bought ours new at the end of 2005.

P.S. 2.. If you buy new you have a blank slate, used you might have to and probably will have to undo stuff that was done before you bought it.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:07 PM   #8

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
Wouldn't be the first "SCAMPI"....

This little shrimp Scampi was at the Algonac rally earlier this month.
Attached Thumbnails
scampi post.jpg  
john madill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 06:57 PM   #9

New York
Scampi

LOL Just showed my wife. She's pissed ! Thought she was going to be the first.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:08 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
Getting a super deal on a used Scamp was the prime factor in getting it past the War Department. Needs lots of work, but nothing I can't do entirely myself, the way I want it done. Plus, all the money I saved on purchase goes toward making it perfect for us, the way we use it. Things like improving on the OSB floor, upgrading wiring, and adding storage that's useful to US.

Neck, I almost cut you some "i" decals! I'm going to strip my decals off in the spring, and since I own a vinyl cutter, I can pretty much put anything I want back on it. Definitely going to be more subtle, can't stand having RV brands and models plastered across in huge letters. Still haven't decided what I want, but I've got all winter to ponder it.

Now that we bought the used unit, my wife is much more open to buying a new egg when the time comes for us to make longer trips in it. And I'm fairly certain I can recoup a fair amount if I wanted to sell this one (although my son is trying to figure out a way to live in it when he goes to college).
KevinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:10 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinPete View Post
Neck, I almost cut you some "i" decals! I'm going to strip my decals off in the spring, and since I own a vinyl cutter, I can pretty much put anything I want back on it. Definitely going to be more subtle, can't stand having RV brands and models plastered across in huge letters. Still haven't decided what I want, but I've got all winter to ponder it. .
Yo Kevin, make it uniquty your own. You can name your trailer whatever you wish... and we will SUPPORT your decison. I'm calling my 5.0TA "Ten Forward" with a purpose. You'll find the same thing that makes your heart "sing."
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:32 PM   #12

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Byron, Could you post photos of your decor, please?
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:39 PM   #13

Name: Sarah
Trailer: 1984 13' Scamp named "Ramblin Rose"
Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
P.S. 2.. If you buy new you have a blank slate, used you might have to and probably will have to undo stuff that was done before you bought it.
Not necessarily. I am the 4th owner of my 30 year old Scamp and aside from the removal of the icebox (it was replaced with a dorm fridge, which I ultimately replaced in favor of a 12V solar-friendly fridge), recovering of the cushions (nicely done, and I'm not re-doing them), new flooring (which I have since removed because leaks were never fully repaired and the OSB underneath had many "soft" spots if not actual holes), and a seriously cool paint job on the outside, essentially "nothing" had really been done to it by the time it was "mine"... the only work I've had to "undo" was some seriously sketchy looking wiring repairs (I basically removed everything and started fresh, including installing new LED trailer lights) and that notably sketchy looking pegboard "patch" of the rear floor.

That said, it has needed more work than I initially suspected it might, but most of the surprises have been minor things and the vast majority of the other work I have done has been things I'd be wanting to do even on a brand new trailer (such as adding Solar, and the fridge I chose to work with that, and replacing all interior lights with LEDs).

However, whoever may be future owner of my scamp (if I ever let it go!) will certainly have an extensive list of improvements/repairs/modifications to deal with if they ever chose to change anything - but one of the things I am doing is DOCUMENTING the changes I have made, and writing up what is essentially a guide book for anyone not so familiar with the trailer (such as my husband, and kids - my oldest will be driving in a couple of years and I could see him taking the it out with friends). This will be kept with the trailer and also serve as a maintenance log to keep a record of when things are done such as sanitizing the water tank, upkeep on the axle like lubricating bearings, etc).
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:08 PM   #14

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I look at it like this if your thinking of buying a 13 footer to find out if you really want this change in your lifestyle buy a good used one. Buying smartly used if you don't end up liking it they are easy to unload and get most of your money out of it. After a year you will know much more of what you really want and if you really want larger or not. Then if changes are needed buy new with a more informed base knowledge. Buying new full bore out the gate and a year later wanting out you will get hammered. These days loosing big chunks of cash is not a wise move.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:09 PM   #15

Name: Bill
Trailer: In the market
Nevada
Kevin,

Made me laugh out loud with "getting it past the War Department". thanks for the laugh! Bill
Chillywilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:08 AM   #16

New York
That's exactly why I am considering used.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:18 AM   #17

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I personally bought "New" and would never even think about buying "used" for my personal use. To fix up and sell....maybe. I dont like the smell of used RV's and LOVE the smell of a new one. It's all about preference. I also dont like the thought of buying "trouble". (And there's a considerable amount can be found AFTER you delve into a used RV!!) If there's never been water leaks and/or mildew, then you may come out ahead. But I've found that seemingly most RV'ers (FG OR S&T) just let their campers sit without any thought of ventilation, cleaning, covering (protecting from UV rays) etc.

I've done a CONSIDERABLE amount of "mods" to mine. Some Scamp SHOULD do and some I just wanted to do on my own for my personal touch. My mods were fun. I think taking a "gutted" Scamp and building back the interior ("Deluxe" style) would be fun...but very time consuming.

Someone mentioned something VERY important.... how much time you want to invest in it vs how bad to you want to go camping. That will help determine the condition of the trailer you want to get if buying used.

The bottom line is, what ever makes YOU happy, do it. Then you wont regret your decision OR your money and time spent!

Darral
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:38 AM   #18

New York
New vs Used

Your right and that's why I want new, for all the reasons you mentioned . However The little time I have I want to be out on the road, not doing repairs ! On the other hand I think it would be foolish to spend around $15000.00 for something that's going to sit around. I might consider a used one for the first year or two, to see how we like it and how much we use it. I also have a feeling if I buy a 13 used and love it and find the time. I could sell it and bump up to a new 16. Both my wife and I will have a lot more time on our hand in 2016, God willing.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:46 AM   #19

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neck View Post
... On the other hand I think it would be foolish to spend around $15000.00 for something that's going to sit around. .
Wow...I gave $12,500 for mine new 13' in 2010. BUT, it's FULLY loaded...well except for a furnace. It's got a bath/shower/sink; 6 gal water heater; screen door, awning, A/C with heat strip (wouldnt get Heatstrip again); vinyl rug; 2 extra rear cabinets; e-brakes; 3-way fridge; Fantastic fan; and I added an extra dome light and 12v outlet and made sure they gave me "Jalousy" (louver type) side windows.

SO, not sure what "style" you're looking for. BUT, if you're looking for a "stripped" down model, it should be CONSIDERABLY less than 15K!

Darral
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 12:36 PM   #20

New York
I spoke to Scamp and was told a base starts at $11500.00 . Add to that the bath/shower, awning, screen door, fridg, a/c, heat and tax your almost $15000.00 ! Not to mention, I 'm sure there are other goodies.