Older Scamp Trailers..what do you think... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-13-2009, 08:06 AM   #1

Trailer: 76 13 ft Scamp (fits in my Garage...Yeah)
Looking at an older scamp trailer....

it needs some work...but im looking for a small project...and and egg that fits in my garage...

this does both....im wondering what u think...im concerned about the 3 way fridge never being tested ..per the owner

any others who have a 70's vintage scamp....with any input pros and cons......

pros...6'7" high...fits in garage..... has an awning...new floor......screen door....all windows work..rock shield...

neg...3 way fridge not tested on propane....lots of silicon around the windows.. read the thread on what to do to get it off...im ready...

might need new tires...no bathroom.....or ac.....yet.....i have a mini unit that down the road i could install...have somebody else put it in that is.....

i will post a your tube link later and let you walk around it and see for your self....

but in the meantime....any scampers out there....
jimtesla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:14 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Hey Jim--Stargazer (on the EOC) got a Scamp last year and he put in an airconditioner. He lives a couple blocks from me, so we went over and it looks really good. I'd give you links to click on, but am tech-challenged.
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:32 AM   #3

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Here I go answering without even having a Scamp, but I will mention two things I like about my Boler, and which it has in common with the earlier Scamps. These are just a couple of features, and don't have anything to do with the actual condition of "your" Scamp.

1) I like the Ensolite wall covering better than the later "rat fur." Of course, some people are neutral on this or like the rat fur better, but my point is that the earlier Scamps (up to '85 or so I think) have Ensolite, like the Boler 13's do. I like that it's smooth and wipeable, and even paintable should one decide to do so.

2) The earlier Scamps usually had the full-width, two-paned jalousie windows (also known as "crank outs"). I like them because you can leave them open rain or shine, for great ventilation. Again, some people prefer sliders; I'm just giving my opinion.

On the 3-way fridge, I guess that if it can't be tested prior to your buying, I'd bargain on the assumption that it doesn't work; then if it does you're happily surprised. I don't think you can get a new 2-way or 3-way fridge that is that shallow, so it is nice if it works or if you can get it to work (if you value being able to cool with propane; if not, then an electric dorm fridge or a cooler will work).

Silicone.... ('nuff said) (well no, I will rant on it in future posts, I'm sure )

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:32 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Lots of members have older trailers here. You're speaking to one! I wouldn't consider a non-functional 3-way refer to be a deal breaker, and it just may be fixable. but you won't know tell you find out. If you've come from a tenting background... you know how to deal with coolers.

I know you're looking for a trailer to fit in your garage. But unless a 30 year old trailer has had an axle replacement... it's probably shot. Once replaced, it MAY not fit in the garage.

That would be the deal breaker.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:41 AM   #5

Good point, Donna.

OTOH, I think Roy in TO was able to "tinker" with his Boler's height even with getting a new axle. So one might be able to do that with a combination of the angle of the new axle's arms, and tire/rim size.

And/or removing or changing location or type of skylight.

Raya
Old 08-13-2009, 08:53 AM   #6

regarding the axle..how does one know its shot?......

Quote:
Good point, Donna.

OTOH, I think Roy in TO was able to "tinker" with his Boler's height even with getting a new axle. So one might be able to do that with a combination of the angle of the new axle's arms, and tire/rim size.

And/or removing or changing location or type of skylight.

Raya
Old 08-13-2009, 11:36 AM   #7

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: jimtesla... A quick flashlit check of the wheel wells for rub/scrub marks and if you can stand your fist up on top of the tire to check for clearance is a good quick test. Also a bounce test while standing in the center of the trailer is good. Just remember they aren't infallible but will help.
There aren't many parts to these trailers that can't be fixed or replaced. I think a new 3way fridge controler is about $75. Canadian.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:45 AM   #8

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Wow nice video!

I would count on the axle being shot if it is the original. The rubber hardens.

The fridge....I would count on it not working. It was installed where there was an ice box and the venting was not done according to standard. You would be able to fix the venting but I don't know if you are up to that type work and there is some cost involved to get the right outside hatch/vent.

It doesn't have an on board battery system. So the heater must run without one.?

Overall it looks to be in ok shape but will need some work as you said.

Edited to add......It has an old style vent on the top. If that need to be replaced the newer style will add an inch or two to the height.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:18 PM   #9

Trailer: 77 Scamp
I own a 77 scamp....was a wee bit of a project when I got it.....after a year of tinkering to get it my way I LOVE IT.....I too encountered much silicone (now I realize the owner wasn't patient to locate a leak so he/she caulked the heck out of it......Sooooooooooo much caulk.....ahhh well that was last year. The fridge did not work on propane, but after a member and I sat there with beers and a lighter we managed to get it running.....sometimes it works on this method, sometimes not its a gamble. It does work on electricity but not on DC ...who knows why...I'm not interested in tinkering any more with it. I say go for it....mine does not fit in the garage due to the door opener/height thing so thats a bummer. *buy it*
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:39 PM   #10

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
This is a good lil project trailer for the right price which I didn't see mentioned above.

The axle is at the end of it's useful life, so that would be a definite and you're looking at tires for sure, so there would be some running gear expense in order to operate it safely. You'll want a good set of new bearings and a bearing repack as well. As long as you don't get carried away on ordering an axle with a lot of down angle to raise it a bunch, it will stay stock and fit in the garage with no problem.

Lizbeth is dead on with the fridge assessment and that venting work, while not expensive, would require a good bit of cutting openings and labor if you were serious about running fridge on propane assuming it works.

12 V system and battery needs to be added somewhere down the road, and all the windows/vents pulled and reset with butyl tape.

Little paint on the hide and your interior would be fresh and good to go. I'd pull everything out to the shell and floor so you could paint the hide properly and then reinstall, replacing what's needed as you go. The upholstery looks OK, but you can't tell till washed and I'd definitely wash by hand.

I'm with Raya, that I definitely prefer the "hide" and the louvered windows on the older trailers.

Again, good lil project for the right price.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:43 PM   #11

i spoke with the owner...there is no tire rubbing..the bearings were re packed and good clearance from tire to trailer...

the fridge runs on the power of the truck while hooked up...cant find the bars for the bunk beds

asking 2700.00
Old 08-13-2009, 09:22 PM   #12

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
We got a bare bones '83 13' scamp for $1500 that was not in as good of shape as that one appears to be. You can always buy a new 3 way fridge that will fit that space, we have been looking at them on line recently so we have pretty much decided on the 1.7 cu ft. by norcold. They are expensive though (around $500) almost seems like an extravagant expense, but when we are out on the road with no hook up, we will be happy to have it. Just google 3 way refrigerator and see what you can find, but you may get lucky and find the one in there already works. Maybe the lines need to be cleaned, or have the air pushed out by lighting the stove for a little while. I would definitley inspect all propane lines thouroughly. Ours had a kink under the front bench and leaked. My 2 cents on this one, if you don't mind the older, fix it up model, it's a fair deal. Follow your gut feelings.
April Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:42 PM   #13

April,

Can you post the model number of the Norcold fridge you found that fits the Scamp space? I was under the impression that the currently manufactured ones were all too deep for the kitchen counter unit in our trailers. I don't need one (now) but quite a few people have come up dry in looking for one, so it would be great to have the info on the forum.

Raya
Old 08-13-2009, 09:57 PM   #14

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
This is the model we are looking at, it is slightly larger than the dorm fridge that we currently have in the trailer, I am pretty sure it can fit if we make a few of adjustments to the opening in the cabinet.

http://www.rvparts4u.com/ProductDetails.as...Code=SRVP140116

not too bad of a price either, compared to most other listings I found for this model... turns out to be more like $489.00 delivered, shipping is a bit high. I am not 100% sure this one will work for everybody, but we think we can make it fit in our trailer.
April Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:22 PM   #15

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry

Adjustable, removable door bins
Amps: 1.5 [at] 120V AC
Ship Wt: 59 lb.
Cutout dimensions: 20 5/8"H x 17 1/2"W x 21 1/4"D
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp