Oliver Handling - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #15

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
I pulled a 17' Egg through Tennessee when that hurricane was heading up the east coast (Irene?). We hit some extremely nasty thunderstorm cells. The only concern I had was the hydro planing as the water poured off the interstate. Never a problem with cross winds and hardly noticed the trucks passing. BTW my TV is a VW Golf.

Only thing I would suggest IF/when you ever get a new TV is ESC (stability control). It sure takes the pucker factor out of most situations.

I would add that the money lost on trade in would buy fuel for years. Any thing you save on gas (being cheaper right now) would be lost on the trade in.

Jason

Old 03-10-2012, 02:58 PM   #16

Name: Bill
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Maryland
Jason,

The tow package on the Tacoma now has ESC. Toyota's package used to be just a receiver hitch, wiring and receptacle, and a transmission cooler.

Thanks,

Bill

Old 03-12-2012, 01:18 PM   #17

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft RQ
Missouri
WELCOME TO THE FORUM JenH. I have farmed, ranched and hauled livestock for 45 years. I have never seen an equalizer hitch on a bumper pull horse or livestock trailer. And those animals are in there shifting their weight around.

I believe the Oliver has an extendable tongue which completely negates the need for a weight distributing and/or anti-sway hitch. The lengthened tongue is the anti-sway device. It also has another feature, the water and waste tanks centered over the axle so the balance does not change as their water levels change.

Equalizer and anti-sway devices on bumper pull trailers are to compensate for poor trailer design engineering or inadiquate tow vehicle size or setup.

Bill I would think twice before I traded the Duramax off. It will get much better fuel mileage towing than any gasoline engine vehicle will get towing the same trailer. You will have less fuel expense per mile with the Duramax. A gallon of gasoline and a gallon of diesel fuel are two different things. There is more energy in a gallon of diesel fuel. That is one reason it costs more per gallon.

You never see a heavy truck anymore that has a gasoline engine. Late model tractor trailer rigs weighing 80,000 LBs will get 7 MPG going down the road 70 MPH. That is the equivelent of a fiberglass trailer and tow vehicle rig weighing 10,000 LBs getting 56 MPG.

Running boards or side steps will help getting into or out of a tall truck. I carry one of the folding step stools from Camper World behind the passenger seat of my truck for when I transport my 85 year old mother who has difficulty getting in and out of vehicles.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #18

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
Some large RVs I have seen have folding steps that work when the door is opened. I guess a little electric motor (or air if built on truck chassis)

Jason
Old 03-12-2012, 04:53 PM   #19

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite 2009
Bruce,
I didn't even know enough to ask about a antisway or stabilizer bar when I bought my trailer. I did buy my truck with way more towing capacity than I figured I would ever need and with the intention of buying a travel trailer. I agree totally that it is much better to have way more hauling capacity than not enough. My truck handles pulling a cattle trailer full of wiggly cows just fine but I can tell the difference when I have driven my husband's F250 pulling the cattle trailer.

I did extend the tongue on my Oliver because I want to add extra storage in the wire basket. I can't tell any difference when it was shorter and now that it is longer.

I also bought the Camping World stool for using as the second step getting into my travel trailer and for my 86 year old mother to be able to get in to my truck even though I have the running boards also. It just makes it easier for her.

The travel trailer owners and wannabees are the best in the world. So friendly and helpful. Happy traveling to everybody. J
Old 03-12-2012, 05:14 PM   #20

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
I am not familiar with any way in which a longer tongue would help reduce trailer sway. The main factor with sway is whether the trailer is loaded properly to give adequate tongue weight; too much weight in the trailer's rear (causing a very light or negative tongue weight) will enable dangerous sway.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:33 PM   #21

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Mississippi
Registry
Making the tongue longer will effectively increase the tongue weight of the trailer. It would be just like you moved the axle back closer to the rear of the trailer. Either way, I don't know a single Oliver owner that use any anti sway equipment. There's not really any easy way to attach it to our frame because it's not open. I've towed ours from sea to shining sea several times and never had a problem with the way it handled. These trailers are heavier than an equivalent Casita or such. They have double hulls (twice the weight) and mine has a 200 pound generator sitting on the tongue. For that reason, they all have been retrofitted with 5200 pound axles. I don't have to worry about a light or negative tongue. Bill, I found the trailer you're looking at. I'd snap it up in an instant if you're really interested. You're not likely to find another for sale in the near future. There were only about 45 built. The company still handles any needs of the owners usually at little to no cost.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:37 PM   #22

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Florida
Registry
You'll look long and hard to find an Oliver owner who doesn't love his/her trailer. Very few ever come up for sale. If you're giving this one a pass, would you please pm me? I know others who are looking for a pre-loved Oliver.
Thanks
Sherry
Old 03-12-2012, 08:43 PM   #23

Name: Bill
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Maryland
Thanks Steve. I know the clock's ticking on that one and we'd need to jump on it soon, if we're going with a small trailer instead of the small fiver or truck camper we've considered to date. The truck will handle any of them.

Bruce, your point is well taken. I get pretty good mileage empty.

Bill
Old 03-14-2012, 08:23 PM   #24

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
Making the tongue longer will effectively increase the tongue weight of the trailer. It would be just like you moved the axle back closer to the rear of the trailer. ...
I'm not convinced of that. Let's say the tongue weighs 250 lbs. Then you extend it and weigh it again. It should still be 250 lbs.

Moving the axle back in relation to the trailer body would change the proportions. Keeping the axle in the same place in relation to the body means the proportions stay the same, unless one changes the loading (add weight in front of or behind the trailer). Moving the tongue out does not move the axle back in relation to the trailer body. So as near as I can visualize, extending the tongue should have little or no effect on the percentage of weight located in front of the axle, therefore the tongue weight should show little or no effect.

Now that I ponder, though, I can see that perhaps there could potentially be a leverage issue. However, I think that a longer lever is not able to accomplish anything unless a fulcrum is added, is it?
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:40 PM   #25

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Mississippi
Registry
Mike, you are completely correct and I was completely off base. Increasing the tongue length will decrease the tongue weight. I apparently had my head stuck somewhere dark and smelly.

Thanks for the correction.

Steve
Old 03-14-2012, 11:08 PM   #26

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I can see that perhaps there could potentially be a leverage issue. However, I think that a longer lever is not able to accomplish anything unless a fulcrum is added, is it?
The fulcrum is the trailer's tires. The reference point is the hitch ball, not the trailer's body. The longer the tongue, the less downward force (weight) on the tow vehicle's hitch ball.