Oliver is Back!? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-20-2013, 06:26 AM   #15

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Sometimes your better off putting together a well done website then sticking something up and fixing it later. No weights listed, it looks narrower, I think its only 6'6" outside width hence why the bed goes front to back to make a queen(king?)

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:40 PM   #16

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Sometimes your better off putting together a well done website then sticking something up and fixing it later.
I agree... especially when all that's needed is an hour to edit the wording.

There's nothing wrong with proposed specs. They could just post the axle capacities and weights of the 22-foot trailer that they built years ago, and flag them with a "subject to change as design is finalized" qualifier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
...it looks narrower, I think its only 6'6" outside width hence why the bed goes front to back to make a queen(king?)
That makes sense, but the 6'6" width is bizarre. The classic width is at the 80" (6'8") limit for trailers without wide vehicle lighting, but this is even narrower! Maybe it's a typo, like the "Extra Sotrage Capacity".

Maybe I'm a bit harsh on these people, but this is not a new start-up; it is a company that was building this same trailer years ago, and has been in continuous operation since. They have had all the time anyone could want to proofread a simple web page. I can only hope that thay are so engaged in building the product that they fail to notice obvious flaws in the other aspects of the business.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:53 PM   #17

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Maybe I'm a bit harsh on these people, but this is not a new start-up; it is a company that was building this same trailer years ago, and has been in continuous operation since. They have had all the time anyone could want to proofread a simple web page. I can only hope that thay are so engaged in building the product that they fail to notice obvious flaws in the other aspects of the business.
I purposely left off this information when I scooped the bit off the OliverForum. I was trying to be nice...

Quote:
Our previous website took a dump and we lost everything or so I am told. (I am not tech savvy about these things and depend on others …lol…)
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:03 PM   #18

Alberta
Thanks Donna - that explains the "start from scratch" approach to the site. The information, though, they should know without referring to their old web site.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:26 PM   #19

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
Good for them! I wish them the best! I support every effort to bring fiberglass campers into production!

CindyL
Old 04-20-2013, 04:33 PM   #20

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
If you want to see the old site, use the Wayback machine - here is what it looked like on July 27, 2011: olivertraveltrailers.com - Home of the Oliver Legacy.

Maybe they could use it to recover some of their old data?
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:36 PM   #21

Oregon
I love the Wayback Machine. I still use it when folks here as questions and Google search doesn't help me as much as I wish it would. Have you checked out the Wayback Machine for FiberglassRV. What a hoot! Unfortunately we still can't grab pictures that were lost in the hack...sigh.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:52 PM   #22

Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
Ah, maybe, he has heard about the 21' Escape coming out and wanted to get something up on the net? That is what I would do. Well, business is business. I realize the price will be steep but the unit is so elegant looking or can be with the right touches so would appeal to many that could probably afford it and maybe were wanting a bigger unit and looking toward the Escape 21'. Competition between the fiberglass units seems to be on the horizon with so many looking to downsize or just get out there with something not so overwhelmingly big. I am also waiting to see the American Boler introduced. Choices are good because seriously when I look at all the photos of all the shapes and sizes of the older units and look at what is available from the manufacturers now, it is depressing.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:29 PM   #23

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Spent most of today with Jim Oliver and Robert Partee as they came and inspected my Escape 21 and picked my brain over various improvements that can be made to both the Escape and Oliver. Robert knew I had owned previous trailers and was interested in why I chose the Escape. We then went over to both the 17 and 22 foot Olivers to see where they can make improvements. Mr. Oliver seems interested in making a scaled down version. It seemed that in prior years while trying to meet customer's demands on customizing that caused production over runs. Now, like Escape all choices will be done prior to production or during as long as it does not change the completion date.
They seemed interested in putting the Oliver on a diet and shed some weight.They liked the idea of tankless w/h and electric built in heat, perhaps via in the floor. The 22' has ducts for heat and the furnace is beyond hearing. The walls are double with the tanks inside and heated. The current 17' is at least 4,000 and the 22 is in the 5,000 weight class
All Olivers have springs and dual shocks and hydraulic levelers as well as solar, satellite, power cord reels. All are LED's and the 22's do not have a rear window. The Oliver is only 6'6 wide and more rounded and aerodynamic than Escape which has windows in front and rear necessitating a flatter front area.
More info and pictures to follow, going over to have some ribs with the Olivers.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:32 PM   #24

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Hoot hoot.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:34 PM   #25

Oregon
Jim and Evon Oliver are nice people. I met them when they came to the Oregon Gathering (pulling an Oliver) a number of years ago. I wish them well.

Competition between the all molded manufacturers is good for ALL buyers.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:30 PM   #26

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
All Olivers have springs and dual shocks and hydraulic levelers
All trailers have springs - I believe that this is intended to mean leaf springs (in a common leaf spring / beam axle configuration).

In the original 17' Oliver, the clever leveling jacks behind each axle (visible in the underside photo of the "first 22' Oliver" photos linked earlier) is a mechanical screw jack, run by an electric motor, not a hydraulic jack. It is a power tongue jack. Nothing wrong with not being hydraulic (personally, I think avoiding hydraulics is good) - just different. They could have gone hydraulic now, but the smallest hydraulic levelling systems are probably too big to make sense on even the 22'. A better system would be single-leg screw jacks (with motors), which would stabilize laterally as well as lifting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The Oliver is only 6'6 wide and more rounded and aerodynamic than Escape which has windows in front and rear necessitating a flatter front area.
The rounder front corners will be better, but the rounder rear corners will be worse. It's anyone's guess which has less drag, and it appears that no one actually tests, so we'll probably never know.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:50 PM   #27
GPJ

Name: GP
Trailer: Looking
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
It's anyone's guess which has less drag, and it appears that no one actually tests, so we'll probably never know.
The Oliver and the new Escape are approximately the same height, but with about a foot (10") less width and a more rounded cross-section, the Oliver will present about 10-15% less frontal area so should be an easier tow (from a wind resistance perspective) than the Escape. But...that's only a guesstimate. It will be interesting to hear real world reports when this new Oliver and the new Escape come to fruition. It's nice to see Oliver coming back!
Old 04-21-2013, 12:36 AM   #28

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPJ View Post
The Oliver and the new Escape are approximately the same height, but with about a foot (10") less width...
... the Oliver will present about 10-15% less frontal area so should be an easier tow (from a wind resistance perspective) than the Escape.
Good point - just based on frontal area, the Oliver is likely to have less drag. The shape, and therefore coefficient of drag, on the other hand... anyone's guess.

Tags
oliver