Oliver or Escape - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2015, 07:45 AM   #1

Trailer: 2004 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Oliver or Escape

Does anyone in Northern California or Nevada have an Oliver or Escape they would be willing show?
My search for a Bigfoot is proving to be very difficult and am considering alternatives.
Mike Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:54 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Mike, I know if you contact Escape, they will set you up with a local owner for viewing. I would imagine Oliver will do the same.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:02 AM   #3

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
Yes, Oliver has a network of Owners that have agreed to show their units when asked.
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Mike, I know if you contact Escape, they will set you up with a local owner for viewing. I would imagine Oliver will do the same.
Thanks Jim, I knew that, but figured I'd ask here first. That's how we first viewed a Casita.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:47 AM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelley View Post
Does anyone in Northern California or Nevada have an Oliver or Escape they would be willing show?
My search for a Bigfoot is proving to be very difficult and am considering alternatives.
Its unfortunate you where not able to take a trip up to the Oregon Gathering last week-end there were about 10 Escapes present. Would have given you a chance to see the different owners preferences as to interior layouts they choose.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Its unfortunate you where not able to take a trip up to the Oregon Gathering last week-end there were about 10 Escapes present. Would have given you a chance to see the different owners preferences as to interior layouts they choose.
Was that the 25th and 26th or the previous weekend. I was in Oregon at the Bigfoot dealer the previous weekend 18th and 19th.
MK
Old 04-28-2015, 02:08 PM   #7

Name: Bob
Trailer: Oliver
California
Have an Oliver

Mike, I have an Oliver. Live in St. Helena, Ca. Napa Valley north of San Francisco.
Bob Leighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 03:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Leighton View Post
Mike, I have an Oliver. Live in St. Helena, Ca. Napa Valley north of San Francisco.
That is what I wanted. I think you are on the map of owners willing to show from Oliver website. I was hoping you would respond instead of calling Oliver.
I'd love to view it.
I'll send a private message with my contact info
Old 05-13-2015, 09:33 PM   #9

Name: Gaius
Trailer: shopping
Nevada
The Oliver is truly the Lamborghini of fiberglass trailers. I hope their claim about 4 seasons is correct - especially with regard to condensation.
We had a 19 ft Escape and were caught in a blizzard in Utah. We paid extra for dual pane windows and the insulation package, plus extra for the under-coach foam spray and tank heating pads.
In spite of these extras (about $2,000 or so added expense), the coach struggled to keep warm. Even with a dehumidifier blasting, there were BUCKETS of water pouring down the interior walls in condensation. We got through it ok, but it was not pleasant.
The Oliver would be our first choice if we wanted another replacement. We are looking seriously at getting one soon.
gaiusg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:03 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You'll have the same condensation issue in any trailer, including Oliver, unless you stop breathing.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:14 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Condensation happens. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it's not happening. Mattresses and other fabrics LOVE moisture. Check out threads about mold. Those folks didn't see moisture running down their walls either... it went somewhere.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:24 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
New super-sealed and insulated homes require systems to remove moisture or suffer from mold.
My old house leaks like a sieve and we have no condensation problems. We just have a high heat bill.
No issue with pipes bursting in the winter either.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:22 AM   #13

Name: Gaius
Trailer: shopping
Nevada
Alas - we were hoping better insulation would help. There was no problem with condensation in the warmer months with the Escape we had, even if our trailer was closed up (no AC).
So keeping the interior warm won't help?
gaiusg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 12:37 AM   #14

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
The trailer should never be closed up. Windows need to be cracked and the Maxx fan on to relieve the condensation situation. Cold air meets warm air. --- it's a problem. As Glenn mentioned, breathing is one of the big condensation problems.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 02:27 AM   #15

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaiusg View Post
Alas - we were hoping better insulation would help. There was no problem with condensation in the warmer months with the Escape we had, even if our trailer was closed up (no AC).
So keeping the interior warm won't help?
Cold on the outside, heat on the inside = condensation
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 05:20 AM   #16

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
Yes, the Oliver is truly 4 season. Since I took delivery of mine in February, I missed most of the worst of the cold weather, but I still had plenty of days in the 30's and nights in the high teens/low twenties.

I stopped using the gas furnace right away. The cube heater easily heated the cabin to 80+ degrees. There certainly is less condensation with electric heat than the gas. When I ran the furnace, I'd open the bathroom vent to get alittle air moving. I'd get a couple drips on my head here and there when I went in to use the bathroom. Obviously that was coming from the inside surface of the thin plastic vent cover.

I certainly didn't see "buckets" of water running down the walls, or anything coming out of my weep holes underneath.

So far, my Ollie has been a tank. No problems to report or breakages.
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:17 AM   #17

Registry
We regularly camp in temperatures that drop a ways below freezing (otherwise we would not get much camping in around here), and have little issue with condensation. We use lots of warm bedding, and keep the temperature low in the trailer. We do keep a window and a vent cracked open a bit to disperse of moisture ladden air, and when we get up open them even more to help air things out a bit.

Whether you use the furnace, or an electrical heater should make no difference on condensation levels. All combustion air in a gas furnace is drawn from outside, and vented back out, with no moisture from it entering the trailer. The heated air is recycled from inside, just as it is with an electric heater. That said, the rare occasion we have 120V available, we prefer to use electric, as it is quieter, and saves on our propane usage.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 05-14-2015, 08:32 AM   #18

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I was of the understanding that Escape does not imply their trailers even with the double pane windows and extra insulation to be a 4 Season trailer - only 3 season.

As others have said condensation is a real issue in most trailers if there is little venting.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:35 AM   #19

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
For the curious

Two people lose about 1.5-2 Liters of water a day, half through the skin and half by breathing. Exercise increases the lose.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:40 AM   #20

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I was of the understanding that Escape does not imply their trailers even with the double pane windows and extra insulation to be a 4 Season trailer - only 3 season.
True, and pretty much all I use it for.

Of course it is possible to make it work in winter, if you can have lots of heat and venting to drive the moisture out.

Tags
escape, oliver