Oliver Resale Value - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-23-2007, 12:03 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Seems that most of the fiberglass trailers, especially the Casita, enjoy healthy resale values. Anyone willing to venture a guess how well the Oliver will do?

Old 10-23-2007, 12:49 PM   #2
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Little too soon to tell for me. As you know, it's a supply in demand thing. Also, it seems to me, that the higher end items do take a little bit of a bigger step down the first few years then really hold up well later on.

That being said, one of the things that seems to drive the cost up on the Oliver is the high tech items that come standard. Some, if they continue to function properly & without much maintenance, (e.g., jacks) could make it bring more. However, if some of the other items are soon out of date, then .

Definitely a point to ponder. However, in my book, if one wants an Oliver, I sure wouldn't purchase it new with resale on my mind. Just my opinion.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:02 PM   #3

Name: Ken
US
My main concern would be if the company goes under more than anything since they are new to the market. Sunline was high quality ...highly respected but went under. Time will tell.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:46 PM   #4

Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
A large number of the older FG units are now selling for more, than when they were built. I myself have a 2004 13foot Trillium for sale. Whether it sells or not at present time i really don't care. All i have to do is wait it out. Its paid for so i don't need the money right away. I will get what i want sooner or latter.

I think if Oliver goes under it will bring a fair price second hand. If your into FG units and like second hand RVs (fg) you should not have a serious problem.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:41 PM   #5

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Steve,

Typically the more expensive the original price of the trailer, the smaller the used market and the slower they sell. They tend to depreciate more quickly as well. Also, the more proprietary the components on the trailer, the more difficult they'll be to replace when they break or wear out in the future, and that may affect their future value.

Although the market for used trailers is holding up well, it's pretty difficult to determine how the value of a new offering will hold up long term.

Roger
Old 10-23-2007, 08:52 PM   #6

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
My main concern would be if the company [b]goes under more than anything since they are new to the market.
That would depend on how well the sales force is able to compare it favorably to the existing competition.

A worrisome example of failure was Lite House. I doubt the original manufacturer actually realized just who his competition was.
I thought it was a good design; just poorly marketed.

I have hopes Oliver would take that into account.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:01 PM   #7

Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
If you do a little historical research on the companies that went under, they almost always failed because of poor management practices. That encompasses a lot of territory, from inability to negotiate timely and appropriately priced source parts to under capitalization to lack of marketing. Almost in every case, the product was adequate but the management wasn't.

Roger
Old 10-23-2007, 09:35 PM   #8

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
The Oliver is probably a very nice trailer from what I've heard. BUT, I think they shouldn't be trying to compete with Scamp and Casita in the same trailer size market.... not at considerably more dollars. I think what they should have done, is created an egg shaped trailer in the 21 foot range. There seems to be a desire for that size, and neither Scamp nor Casita is even trying to niche that market... it could have been wide open for Oliver.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:22 PM   #9

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
My guess is that in 10 years used Olivers will sell for about the same price that of used 17' Casitas, or 17' Burros.

My reasoning, used 13' fiberglass trailers don't seem to be brand priced.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:23 AM   #10

Name: Per
Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft Widebody towed by Touareg TDI
Oregon
Registry
From what little I've read about Oliver it seems that they are aiming to make a unit that is a somewhat more innovative and quite a bit more quality oriented than the average FGRV, even though some, like Escape, are pushing the quality up there.

If you search through some of the European sites it seems that they have a market for more leading edge designs because more buyers are willing to pay for it. I belive they call them vanity RVs.

Quality and innovation may yield better resale value in the future, but it will have to be balanced against the original price, of course. If I were swimming in money this emphasis might make me a customer since better quality has some real appeal for some very practical reasons. Are we willing and able to pay for it?
Old 10-24-2007, 08:38 AM   #11

Iowa
Quote:
You lost me. What do 13' trailers have to do with an Oliver?
Trends, Steve, trends.

BTW, I'd further speculate that one of the reasons for the Burro 17' resale popularity and subsequent high prices is the wide body. At 6'6" wide, the Oliver is just another (albeit expensive) 17' run-of-the-mill trailer. I'd hope that if they make a 21' they make it a wide body, at least 7'6". 8' would be better. If they widened the molds for their 17' to 7'6", and offer a queen sized bed/dinette, their market would expand dramatically.

Roger
Old 10-24-2007, 10:44 AM   #12

Name: Per
Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft Widebody towed by Touareg TDI
Oregon
Registry
As far as the Burro is concerned, I think Roger (who should know) put his finger on it, and Oliver should pay attention: My wife and I had not toured another FG trailer until after we stumbled into the Burro. Every time we do she looks at me with that look of "thank you, thank you."

The width and the bed size is the key, and for her the acre and a half of clear counter space is important too. (Sorry, too much boosterism here).
Old 10-24-2007, 12:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Trends, Steve, trends.

BTW, I'd further speculate that one of the reasons for the Burro 17' resale popularity and subsequent high prices is the wide body. At 6'6" wide, the Oliver is just another (albeit expensive) 17' run-of-the-mill trailer. I'd hope that if they make a 21' they make it a wide body, at least 7'6". 8' would be better. If they widened the molds for their 17' to 7'6", and offer a queen sized bed/dinette, their market would expand dramatically.

Roger
Ah, trends ... I understand now. But how could Oliver get a queen size bed out of their 17' long trailer by increasing the width to 7'6"? Seems to me that they would have to stretch the length instead. I'm assuming the sleeping direction is unchanged. Even then, it remains length challenged.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:02 PM   #14

Iowa
Typically, the bed is the dinette. If the cabin width is 7'6", then that makes the length of the bed usually about 7' 4", longer than the 80" of a standard queen. The width is determined by the depth of the dinette table.

Roger

Tags
oliver