Oliver Resale Value - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2007, 11:03 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Seems that most of the fiberglass trailers, especially the Casita, enjoy healthy resale values. Anyone willing to venture a guess how well the Oliver will do?
Steve R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:49 AM   #2
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Little too soon to tell for me. As you know, it's a supply in demand thing. Also, it seems to me, that the higher end items do take a little bit of a bigger step down the first few years then really hold up well later on.

That being said, one of the things that seems to drive the cost up on the Oliver is the high tech items that come standard. Some, if they continue to function properly & without much maintenance, (e.g., jacks) could make it bring more. However, if some of the other items are soon out of date, then .

Definitely a point to ponder. However, in my book, if one wants an Oliver, I sure wouldn't purchase it new with resale on my mind. Just my opinion.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:02 PM   #3

My main concern would be if the company goes under more than anything since they are new to the market. Sunline was high quality ...highly respected but went under. Time will tell.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:46 PM   #4

A large number of the older FG units are now selling for more, than when they were built. I myself have a 2004 13foot Trillium for sale. Whether it sells or not at present time i really don't care. All i have to do is wait it out. Its paid for so i don't need the money right away. I will get what i want sooner or latter.

I think if Oliver goes under it will bring a fair price second hand. If your into FG units and like second hand RVs (fg) you should not have a serious problem.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:41 PM   #5

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Steve,

Typically the more expensive the original price of the trailer, the smaller the used market and the slower they sell. They tend to depreciate more quickly as well. Also, the more proprietary the components on the trailer, the more difficult they'll be to replace when they break or wear out in the future, and that may affect their future value.

Although the market for used trailers is holding up well, it's pretty difficult to determine how the value of a new offering will hold up long term.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:52 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
My main concern would be if the company [b]goes under more than anything since they are new to the market.
That would depend on how well the sales force is able to compare it favorably to the existing competition.

A worrisome example of failure was Lite House. I doubt the original manufacturer actually realized just who his competition was.
I thought it was a good design; just poorly marketed.

I have hopes Oliver would take that into account.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:01 PM   #7

If you do a little historical research on the companies that went under, they almost always failed because of poor management practices. That encompasses a lot of territory, from inability to negotiate timely and appropriately priced source parts to under capitalization to lack of marketing. Almost in every case, the product was adequate but the management wasn't.

Roger
Old 10-23-2007, 08:35 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The Oliver is probably a very nice trailer from what I've heard. BUT, I think they shouldn't be trying to compete with Scamp and Casita in the same trailer size market.... not at considerably more dollars. I think what they should have done, is created an egg shaped trailer in the 21 foot range. There seems to be a desire for that size, and neither Scamp nor Casita is even trying to niche that market... it could have been wide open for Oliver.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:22 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
My guess is that in 10 years used Olivers will sell for about the same price that of used 17' Casitas, or 17' Burros.

My reasoning, used 13' fiberglass trailers don't seem to be brand priced.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:23 AM   #10

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
From what little I've read about Oliver it seems that they are aiming to make a unit that is a somewhat more innovative and quite a bit more quality oriented than the average FGRV, even though some, like Escape, are pushing the quality up there.

If you search through some of the European sites it seems that they have a market for more leading edge designs because more buyers are willing to pay for it. I belive they call them vanity RVs.

Quality and innovation may yield better resale value in the future, but it will have to be balanced against the original price, of course. If I were swimming in money this emphasis might make me a customer since better quality has some real appeal for some very practical reasons. Are we willing and able to pay for it?
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 07:38 AM   #11

Quote:
You lost me. What do 13' trailers have to do with an Oliver?
Trends, Steve, trends.

BTW, I'd further speculate that one of the reasons for the Burro 17' resale popularity and subsequent high prices is the wide body. At 6'6" wide, the Oliver is just another (albeit expensive) 17' run-of-the-mill trailer. I'd hope that if they make a 21' they make it a wide body, at least 7'6". 8' would be better. If they widened the molds for their 17' to 7'6", and offer a queen sized bed/dinette, their market would expand dramatically.

Roger
Old 10-24-2007, 09:44 AM   #12

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
As far as the Burro is concerned, I think Roger (who should know) put his finger on it, and Oliver should pay attention: My wife and I had not toured another FG trailer until after we stumbled into the Burro. Every time we do she looks at me with that look of "thank you, thank you."

The width and the bed size is the key, and for her the acre and a half of clear counter space is important too. (Sorry, too much boosterism here).
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 11:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Trends, Steve, trends.

BTW, I'd further speculate that one of the reasons for the Burro 17' resale popularity and subsequent high prices is the wide body. At 6'6" wide, the Oliver is just another (albeit expensive) 17' run-of-the-mill trailer. I'd hope that if they make a 21' they make it a wide body, at least 7'6". 8' would be better. If they widened the molds for their 17' to 7'6", and offer a queen sized bed/dinette, their market would expand dramatically.

Roger
Ah, trends ... I understand now. But how could Oliver get a queen size bed out of their 17' long trailer by increasing the width to 7'6"? Seems to me that they would have to stretch the length instead. I'm assuming the sleeping direction is unchanged. Even then, it remains length challenged.
Steve R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 06:02 PM   #14

Typically, the bed is the dinette. If the cabin width is 7'6", then that makes the length of the bed usually about 7' 4", longer than the 80" of a standard queen. The width is determined by the depth of the dinette table.

Roger
Old 10-24-2007, 06:24 PM   #15

Steve, Roger suggested... as I did, that Oliver go to a 21' foot trailer to get the queen bed.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:49 AM   #16

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
... or as Roger suggested elsewhere, why not just go with a 25' for the walk around queen bed. Seems like an endless quest.
Still amazes me that Airstream can pack so much function in a 16 footer.

From what I can see and have read the biggest thing Airstream has to offer is "snooty" value. Here's a message sent to a Scamp group.

"Deb&I were returning from a trip to Chicago yesterday when we decided
to stop at the Bolingbrook Airstream dealership.Our hope was to see
the new TADAH 16ft travel trailer[a sort of stretch-limo version of
the TAB].
Well, they didn't have those in stock and implied that the hoi
polloi might find the items we sought and a more appropriate shopping
experience at their Indiana store.
Since we had already fought our way through traffic and managed to
find the well concealed access road which had apparently been used
recently by terrorist bombers for a practice range, we decided to
view the products on hand.
First the StarStream, a new line of superior quality trailers
designed to appeal to the rich, since the rich can no longer afford
the experience of owning a real Airstream! This trailer is
conventional looking with an extra thick aluminium hide.
Starting to yawn, we decided that we should move on to something
more exciting.
The 16ft Airstream Bambi was our next stop! This Trailer has always
held near ICON status in my mind as the ultimate travel trailer. It
is of course beautiful and well made.
As we examined this marvelous creation, we began to see that it's
feet were made [at least partially] of clay. Deb found the Bathroom
to be less commodious than our Scamp and the bed was 6inches
narrower. I noticed that the Bambi would look with distain upon any
decent sized tow vehicle. My Escape seemed to cower and shiver at the
prospect[just being parked next to it]. Then came the real SHOCK!
This thing costs OVER $50,000 with tax! That's nearly a $20,000
increase to an already high price of 4 years earlier.
Feeling blessed, we excused ourselves and returned home,with a
renewed appreciation of our trailer and our lives of sensible scale
and more than adequate comfort.
That evening I went out to visit Eggy-sue[our 13dlxe].
Ensconced in her ambiance, I watched an old episode of "Burke's Law"
on the DVD, content in the knowledge that I had made the right choice
and that the remaining $35,000 in the bank added greatly to my repose.
HAPPY CAMPING EVERYONE!"
Old 10-25-2007, 09:15 AM   #17

Quote:
... or as Roger suggested elsewhere, why not just go with a 25' for the walk around queen bed. Seems like an endless quest.
Still amazes me that Airstream can pack so much function in a 16 footer.
I did go for the 25' with the walk-around queen. And... having been a 1961 Bambi 16' owner for four years, and Airstream owners for twenty continuous years, the new models hold absolutely no interest for me. They're heavy, have lots of warranty issues (corrosion, improper fit & finish, leaks etc.) and cost a very large fortune now.

But we've covered this territory before: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...mp;hl=airstream

Function, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

Roger
Old 10-25-2007, 11:31 AM   #18

Quote:
The weight seems to put it at par with a Casita 17'. Interesting construction with the steel frame and fiberglass skin. Downside .... not available here.
And not discussed indepth on FiberglassRV, a forum for Molded Lightweight Fiberglass RVs. There are lots of trailer brands with frames and fiberglass skin. Those wishes to discuss the merits of seams, etc. might find something in common with members at the Open Road forums at RV.net... here
Old 10-25-2007, 11:34 AM   #19

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
From what little I've seen and read about the Oliver trailer, it seems impressive. However impressive it might be, it still has to hurdle the same obstacles as any new manufacturing company faces. The national average (at least the last time I noted) was that a new manufacturing facility had to survive 7 years to be considered viable and to have a future. I've owned several businesses, and let me tell you from a personal viewpoint.....................7 years of struggling is a very very long time! I truly hope Oliver hangs in there. Looks as if the have a good product.

As for me, I love my newly acquired 17' Casita and think it will serve my purposes for as long as I want to travel with a trailer.
Chris C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 01:34 PM   #20
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Steve, I believe the Eriba has aluminum skin with molded fiberglass roof. That puts it outside our focus for "in-depth" discussion.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oliver