Old 09-27-2013, 03:05 PM   #15

Name: J Mac
Trailer: 17b Escape
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
"That would not happen in Canada."

I'd bet a lot of things have gone on in Canada you don't know about

You could be right. Perhaps I was a bit hasty. What I wanted to say is, "that is illegal work practice in Canada".

Old 09-27-2013, 03:22 PM   #16
SRD

Name: s
Trailer: none
us
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Their website certainly isn't luxurious . It doesn't list what the trailer has for standard equipment , what options are available , there are no interior pictures ,only one outside photo, no price list, no detailed description ETC . Escape has a much better website and IMHO an equally good product
Likeness in overall appearance to a Casita aside, the Oliver is a truly unique product with features, build and amenities found on no other molded fiberglass trailer that I've seen. My hat is off to Oliver for their effort.

Old 09-27-2013, 03:32 PM   #17

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Osha

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
You could be right. Perhaps I was a bit hasty. What I wanted to say is, "that is illegal work practice in Canada".
It is also a violation of safety regulations in the US (OSHA). Unfortunately in certain geographic areas of the US and in rural area especially, OSHA is not enforced until a major accident occurs. I have attended several National Safety Counsel conventions and I soon realized that many states view job safety as unfriendly to business and an impediment to profits . In many occupations where the majority of workers are minorities or illegal aliens ,job safety is non existent .

Steve D
IBEW OSHA instructor
Old 09-27-2013, 03:37 PM   #18

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
"That would not happen in Canada."

I'd bet a lot of things have gone on in Canada you don't know about
Well, if its a union shop you can be sure it probable wouldn't happen in Canada at least not in the last 20 years. My work took me to work outside of Canada most months (including the US and Europe). It was always a bit of a puzzle why a project in Canada would suffer from more hours of delays over "safety concern issues" vs the same project taking place pretty well any place else in the world.

One of the funnier differences in safe work place culture I have seen was between longshore workers in Vancouver and LA/Long Beach area. In Long Beach it was not uncommon to see longshore workers down in the hold of deep sea vehicle wearing only running shoes and some only had flip flops on, while discharging or loading very large steel beams (up to 40 tonnes worth at a time). In Canada not a beam would move if everyone didnt have steel toe boots on. In LA it was deemed by the workforce one day to be unsafe to discharge steel beams from a ship in the rain due to concerns it was to slippery - which was funny as the ships loaded and unloaded in the rain in Europe and BC everyday & no one ever raises a safety concern over it ..... Suspect the lack of rain gear in LA was the real issue
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:45 PM   #19

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Oliver's Facebook page has a number of great shots of the Oliver factory and the construction of their luxury trailers.
Interesting to note the workers aren't using masks or any other personal protective equipment in the fiberglass shop.
That would not happen in Canada.
As a news photographer, I took pix on construction sites with VIPs. I'd get them to hold their hard hat / safety glasses, so they were plainly in use, but doffed so we could see the subject. Did the same with cyclists and their helmets ( otherwise we'd get inundated by irate reader letters ).
And I got a letter from Workers' Compensation Board congratulating me on using a safety harness. They could see the line that obviously came from me and up the steeple roof I was shooting, so they were paying attention.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:29 PM   #20

British Columbia
Work Safe BC (in British Columbia) is set up so that the onus of work site safety is on the Employer. Employers must instruct and educate the Workers at the Employers expense. All work related business must comply with WSBC regulation. This works to the advantage of both Worker and Employer. Workers sign off on all WSBC procedures. That way, the Employer is not to blame should the Worker get hurt.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:34 PM   #21
SRD

Name: s
Trailer: none
us
My goodness, what does all this discussion about workplace safety have to do with the Oliver? It would be frustrating to anyone doing a search for Oliver info. in the future. Sorry, just an observation.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:38 PM   #22

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD View Post
My goodness, what does all this discussion about workplace safety have to do with the Oliver? It would be frustrating to anyone doing a search for Oliver info. in the future. Sorry, just an observation.
Does the expression "herding cats" mean anything to you?
Old 09-27-2013, 04:53 PM   #23

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD View Post
I guess you're right. It's just a couple of observations on the Oliver Trailer Facebook page that went astray. Why should the consumer care about safety in the work place? Company commitment I guess.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:54 PM   #24

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Mississippi
Registry
Quote:
They cost twice as much as an www.escapetrailer.com .
I'm curious as to the source and reliability of this information. I assumed you were referring to the new Oliver 22 footer, so I went to the provided link, took the base price of the 21 footer, added as many options from their page as I could to partially equal the standard equipment on the Oliver and came up with $30100.00. If I'm reading your quote correctly then what you're stating is that the Oliver would cost $60200.00.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:04 PM   #25

British Columbia
Enjoy your trailer Steve.
Quality remains long after the price is forgotten.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:15 PM   #26

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Mississippi
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJB View Post
I cannot comprehend why a new trailer company, and a high end trailer company, would create a trailer with an interior height of only 6'1". Am I missing something? Must be a standard mould size? I don't get it.
Actually the interior height is 78 inches.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:17 PM   #27

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
The Escape and Oliver are different trailers however it's apparant that both companies build quality trailers.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:24 PM   #28

British Columbia
What does the 22' Oliver cost?

Tags
oliver