Ollie Elite II + Toyota Tacoma TRD V6 tow package - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2016, 08:35 PM   #1

Name: Malinda
Trailer: currently shopping
Texas
Ollie Elite II + Toyota Tacoma TRD V6 tow package

Anyone out there with an Ollie Elite II using a Tacoma as their TV? I know we could easily do the short one, but with 3 dogs, would really like the extra room the longer one offers.
yolgals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:05 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Looks like a Tacoma of the right year, with the right equipment, is rated to tow up to 6,800 lbs. What model and equipment do you have?

An Elite ll ready to go, will be about 5,000- 5,400 lbs.

So, if everything is right, it seems doable. But it also seems like a light truck for that duty.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:20 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
My 4WD 4door long bed 2013 Taco is rated at 6400 lbs. No problems towing a 4200 lb (wet & loaded) trailer up and down the Rockies.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:03 AM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: Airstream International CCD 28
Florida
When you add for propane tanks, batteries, tankage, clothing, supplies, etc. you may be closer to 6000 pounds. I would not tow that with less than a full size truck. My Chevy Avalanche with 5.3 V8 strains in the mountains of North Carolina.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:34 PM   #5

Name: Malinda
Trailer: currently shopping
Texas
It's a 2017 and rated for 6700lbs. We know we would have to "pack light' and want to keep it at about 5300. Just looking to see if anyone has or is pulling successfully with a taco. thanks,
yolgals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:02 PM   #6

Name: Jan
Trailer: '96 Scamp 5th Wheel
Texas
I just saw that set up in a campground in Oregon. They had made the trip from New Mexico.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:40 AM   #7

Name: Warren
Trailer: Oliver
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolgals View Post
It's a 2017 and rated for 6700lbs. We know we would have to "pack light' and want to keep it at about 5300. Just looking to see if anyone has or is pulling successfully with a taco. thanks,
I applaud your efforts to tow an Elite II with a Taco. That is a great truck. I also admire your desire to pack light. Just a couple things to keep in mind as you gather the information you need to make wise decisions.
We know the dry weight for an Elite II is approximately 4,600lbs. It is important to remember that does not include the weight of options. As you may know, an Oliver Elite II has access to many wonderful options and each has a specific weight. I chose a few options for my Elite II and the dry weight came in at 5,198lbs. I suspect this is typical for most owners. I then added my camping gear. Like yourself I do pack light with the exception of fresh water. I like to dry camp in state/federal parks and I cannot always find water near my camp site. The water I carry adds 270lbs to my trailer weight. Now my revised trailer weight is 5900lbs with a tongue weight of approximately 500lbs.
I confirmed all these figures by conducting 4 separate weight readings at my local CAT scales. The following thread on the Oliver Forum may be helpful to you.
http://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/elite-ii-with-options-dry-weight/
I know there is much to learn as you continue your journey to find the right combination of tow vehicle and travel trailer. Please reach out if any of the knowledge you are gathering appears puzzling.
I might add, a very important metric relates to your hitch limits. On my F150 the hitch limits are 5000lbs for trailer and 500lbs for tongue without a weight distribution hitch. Towing capacity is over 10,000lbs. It is important to understand if your Taco has any hitch guidelines with or without WDH.
Buzzy
Buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote