On the Cheap - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2015, 01:40 PM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
On the Cheap

We're cleaning out the house and have provided our local Salvation Army with all kinds of clothes that are now too big for us... we should have done this when we started RVing but who knew we'd shrink?

Last night we were at our nephew's baseball game with Ginny's sister. She commented that she had stopped at the Salvation Army store and bought a wonderful Appleseed dress for $5. Of course Ginny wanted to go today.

Ginny didn't buy a thing, I bought two pairs of shorts and a wonderful dress-up red turtle neck, total price $7. Honestly the turtle neck alone would have probably cost me $40-50 new.

I said to Ginny, give me a Salvation Army store and I could live like Jack Reacher.

Since we've become minimalists (forced by space if not choice), we have very little in the way of clothing and as a result spend little. That is another area where full time RVing reduces your living costs.

We're going to a renewal of vows for a cousin's 50th, Ginny's wearing one of the 2 dress outfits she carries even though this couple has seen it twice before. Definitely a different mindset from decades ago.

Too bad wisdom comes with age, better than it not coming at all.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 10:06 AM   #2

Name: Carol
Trailer: Scamp / 1949 Hudson
Florida
We do most of our buying at Salvation Army or second hand stores....get what we need but are not into fancy clothes..much rather put the money into gas....for our little house boat or for the Hudson and Scamp...
CandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 10:10 AM   #3

Florida
Hudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandJ View Post
We do most of our buying at Salvation Army or second hand stores....get what we need but are not into fancy clothes..much rather put the money into gas....for our little house boat or for the Hudson and Scamp...
Love to see a picture of your Hudson tiowing the Scamp

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-13-2015, 10:21 AM   #4

Florida
Wondering..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandJ View Post
We just came back from a drop off run to the Salvation Army. I was joking that a lot of people had viewed the post but no one had commented. Ginny thought maybe they were thinking "poor Norm".

Thanks Carol

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-13-2015, 12:02 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
We just came back from a drop off run to the Salvation Army. I was joking that a lot of people had viewed the post but no one had commented. Ginny thought maybe they were thinking "poor Norm".

Thanks Carol
LOL Actually I was thinking where has Norm been?

When traveling with other members of the Fiberglass trailer crowed we often stop into the local thrift stores if there are any near where we are camping. Many have outfitted their trailers kitchens totally from such places. My trailer has several items from thrift shops. A few of the best finds where all brand new still in the box: Margareta mixer/ice grinder, small Cuisinart electric grill and Krups coffee grinder - paid less than $5 for each.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 01:45 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
As a single mother, I taught my daughter the difference between new and used was one washing... and the price
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 02:23 PM   #7

Registry
I am sure Donna with the twins now she will more than appreciate that teaching!!! I actually stopped in a thrift store the other day not looking for anything really but found a great barely used 3 wheel jogging stroller for a niece - $20 - same model still being sold in stores for $400.
Old 06-13-2015, 02:50 PM   #8

Florida
It turns out that we rarely buy clothes any more and when we do it's usually at Beall's Outlet, very reasonably priced and all over the south, definitely a change from our former working lives.

We have bought a bunch of stuff for our place in Florida at the 4 Re-Stores (Habitat for Humanity) near us. Very reasonable prices and good quality items.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-13-2015, 04:03 PM   #9

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
I had never heard of a Beall's Outlet. You are correct about being all over. Next time in Georgia we'll have to have a look-see.
Steve Outlaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 05:59 PM   #10

Name: Anita & Ken
Trailer: 1975 Boler, tow vehicle is 2007 Silverado
Manitoba
Our 'best buy' from a thrift store came from friends. I had asked them to keep an eye out for large coffee percolators. They came back with a 30 cup perc that we use as a hot water heater! Great for doing dishes, only drawback is we need hydro to use it.
A Storgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 09:51 PM   #11

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I absolutely love shopping in thrift stores although I have to be careful 'cause I could spend both too much time and money. The best ones, I find, are those associated with churches or charities rather than the very large ones we all know. I've found many an item for my trailer. When I did my Southwest/Desert theme I found a "dream catcher" to hang on the window, salt and pepper shakers, a leather belt with desert flowers and a decorative kitchen mitt. I've found several items for my 1950's theme, but the best is an Elvis Presley pillow!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 12:12 AM   #12

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
If I have forgotten something when travelling I will often stop by a thrift store to pick it up. Some are definitely better than others and you have to know your prices as some charge the same as you can buy it for new. But the good ones are gems.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 01:07 AM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Storgard View Post
Our 'best buy' from a thrift store came from friends. I had asked them to keep an eye out for large coffee percolators. They came back with a 30 cup perc that we use as a hot water heater! Great for doing dishes, only drawback is we need hydro to use it.
Yup my Margarita maker is great but only when plugged in thus the thrift shop came through again! Found a wonderful 60ish bartenders hand cranked ice crusher for when off the grid. $3.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:19 AM   #14

Trailer: Boler 1984
Second time around stores are a boon to society. But we are careful to clean and wash things before using anything and furniture gets sanded, stained and varnished before being put to use. That is another cost to be factored in. We love garage sales. They are like a block party but are very careful about appliances because people will say "Of course it works fine" (sort of) and then you find that the radio works but it eats tapes or the disc turns but won't play. We went to the lake for the past week and I forgot my jacket and of course the weather turned chilly. Found a nice heavy jack shirt that is great for camping and gardening for a couple of $.
Nearby Port Rowan has a dozen streets of 1 and 2 bedroom senior retirement homes. Many don't downsize enough when they move in and so once each year they have a village wide street sale. This year there was everything from boats to classic cars to furniture. You could get a full golf or fishing outfit or some high end clothing outfits. Some very good 30's Art Deco pieces if your into that stuff. Lots of wall art and man cave things and tables of dishes and clothes. After about 4 hours of walking, talking and looking you return home with sore feet to examine your purchases. Over all it is a full morning of fun, visiting and entertainment on the cheap.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 09:15 AM   #15

Name: Gardnpondr
Trailer: 1985 BigFoot G
Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
We're cleaning out the house and have provided our local Salvation Army with all kinds of clothes that are now too big for us... we should have done this when we started RVing but who knew we'd shrink?

Last night we were at our nephew's baseball game with Ginny's sister. She commented that she had stopped at the Salvation Army store and bought a wonderful Appleseed dress for $5. Of course Ginny wanted to go today.

Ginny didn't buy a thing, I bought two pairs of shorts and a wonderful dress-up red turtle neck, total price $7. Honestly the turtle neck alone would have probably cost me $40-50 new.

I said to Ginny, give me a Salvation Army store and I could live like Jack Reacher.

Since we've become minimalists (forced by space if not choice), we have very little in the way of clothing and as a result spend little. That is another area where full time RVing reduces your living costs.

We're going to a renewal of vows for a cousin's 50th, Ginny's wearing one of the 2 dress outfits she carries even though this couple has seen it twice before. Definitely a different mindset from decades ago.

Too bad wisdom comes with age, better than it not coming at all.
You soooo right everyone trying to keep up with the Jones as folks say. I don't go by style and I am always at the thrift stores. I LOVE shopping there and hate paying full price in the stores now. I have bought I don't know how many tension rods for our camper for a dollar or under at the thrift stores. I even found some of those yellow things you put by the tire to chock them I think it's called, at the thrift store and paid a buck for them. What kills me though are the folks that throw away things in their trash and won't donate it to the stores like this. I mean all kinds of nice kids toys etc. One mans trash is another mans treasure and it's just such a waste and look what all goes to the landfills that doesn't have to be there.
Gardnpondr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 10:21 AM   #16

Name: Mo
Trailer: Still looking
Texas
Just retiring made me realize that I have way too many clothes now, even though my work place was 'business casual' and I'm not much of a clothes horse.

Sometimes I think it would be great to hold a National Potlatch Day and get everything over with at once. On one designated day a year, every citizen drags everything that needs to go onto the drive way. Feasting. Dancing. Redistribution.
June Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 10:29 AM   #17

Florida
What's become common in our town is advertised neighborhood tag sales. Our Florida Home park has two a year with food. A big fund raiser for the park and a chance to get rid of stuff in a fun, useful way.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-14-2015, 11:10 AM   #18

Registry
At the Vintage Trailer Rallies I attend in the PNW most/many of the trailer owners searching through thrift shops to find items to match the age or theme of their trailers. Items such as old coolers, picnic baskets, webbed chairs, luggage are popular - as are old fiestawear dishes & vintage coffee pots etc.

Not uncommon on the Friday morning of a vintage trailer rally for many of those in attendance to head off to local tag/garage sales & thrift shops looking for stuff! Some of what they return with is pretty amazing. Then on Saturday morning of the meet they will hold a meet garage sale where they sell off their finds - some even arrive with the back of trucks full of stuff they have found over the year that they think someone else with a vintage trailer might want. People at the meet start to line up as early as 6:30Am for the trailer swap meet.

I camp with a group of Tin Can Tourists (TCT) a few times a year - even though I don't have a technically vintage trailer the meet managers say its ok as none of them can tell a 40 year old Boler or Scamp from a new one. LOL

One night when I opened the door on my trailer while attending a TCT rally, I found someone had set up an old set of bowling pins and a ball from the 50's/60's? down the trailers hallway & an old bowling shirt hanging on the outside of the bathroom door. Was told the next morning they felt my trailers decorating lacked a theme & they were just trying to help me out. :-)
Old 06-14-2015, 11:42 AM   #19

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Thats a hilarious story Carol!
Love that people pick up appropriate stuff and sell it off, great idea.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 02:02 PM   #20

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenaigirl View Post
Thats a hilarious story Carol!
Oh they are a creative bunch!

What was funnier & shows how creative & detailed they can be in their decorating, i was on my own that trip and they had put a bowling score card on the pillow of my bed and had changed at the top the Ends to the nights/dates we had been there and it showed I had no score!

The next morning they were all sitting around by my trailer having their coffee when I pocked my head out and asked why the barn we were camped beside smelled bad when it had never done so in the past! They all burst out laughing and suggested I look under my bed. Found an old pair of very stinky bowling shoes!! Which the party who I suspected was responsible for the decorating, found sailing by their head shortly there after