On the Road Again - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2011, 05:18 PM   #21

Name: Melissa
Trailer: 17ft Casita FD '06 tv: Toyota Rav4 V6 2010
Florida
Registry
Actually I knew a woodworking RVer. He had a little trailer he towed behind his Class A motorhome that was his mobile "woodshop" it was pretty cool!
Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:49 PM   #22

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Tweeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon G View Post
Norm, good you are getting the little glitches out of the way early in the trip. Hope that means the rest will be smooth sailing!
It always seems to take a couple of weeks to get the trailer's organization road worth though in 2000 Scamp miles we have never had the door open.

The following is a picture taken just before we left. Note how the solar panels on the roof are virtually invisible.
Attached Thumbnails
On the Road.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:55 PM   #23

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Need a house sitter I love your house. Thanks for the photo. That's something else about your door.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:08 PM   #24

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Your wife needs to check with Louise.. she had a quilt in the National Quilt Show in Paducah, Kentucky. She and her husband John, pulled their 17' Escape from Washington State to the show. They camped both ways and had a great time! There's a bunch of egg owner quilters (say that fast three times).

And Ray, quite a few of us have been recipients of Mike's wonderful turned bowls. He's even brought his wood lathe to the Oregon Gathering and put on a workshop. Boy did the chips fly!

I can think of very few hobbies that can't be done at the same time a person is camping.... well, maybe if it has something to do with metal... like welding or iron work. And yes, maybe adapting is necessary. More handtools and less powertools, etc.
I am the proud owner of an award winning quilt shown at the Paducah show a few years ago. Veldah Peters, a victim of the Polio epidemic in the fifties, has passed away now, but she left a lifetime of quilting behind. Her home was as warm and inviting as her quilts which had love and kindness sewn into every single stitch. Without leaving her little house, she made a profound difference in many lives, including my own.
I thought to write more, but the important stuff would fill a novel.
Her quilt serves to remind me of her, and of the immeasurable value of one life, no matter how small.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:54 AM   #25

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
My wife had a quilt in the American Quilters Society national show at Nashville in 2008 and, if you happen to have the 2010 AQS Engagement Calendar, one of her quilts is shown for the week of Oct 4.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:39 AM   #26

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Emergency Door Fix

Ginny loves it when I resolve these little issues like the door openinf as we're driving. Here's our temporary fix. The door stays locked but something flexs allowing it to open.

Here's our solution.

Also here's a shot of our Solar Panels held down by High Bond strength tape after 140 miles. They really are thin and flexible panels.
Attached Thumbnails
Door Handle.jpg   Solar Panel Shake Down 2.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:20 AM   #27

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
Isn't that door opening thing a known "defect" with Scamps? Seems I read that somewhere . Good improvised solution I've not had the problem on mine, but the closet door inside pops open somehow.
The door on the Scamp has never been a favorite thing of mine.

David
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:56 AM   #28

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSo View Post
Isn't that door opening thing a known "defect" with Scamps? Seems I read that somewhere . Good improvised solution I've not had the problem on mine, but the closet door inside pops open somehow.
The door on the Scamp has never been a favorite thing of mine.

David
Problem solved...
Attached Thumbnails
door latch 002.jpg   June 2009 114.jpg  

June 2009 118.jpg  
Old 11-18-2011, 12:02 PM   #29

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
David if you have a screen door on your Scamp here is a photo of the solution for keep the closet door closed. I cant take credit for it the PO made it up - I have only had to replace the elastic a couple of times in 5 years - use the ones for hair that are heavy with some sort of cloth covering them. The metal clip has a bent edge on it that clips into the channel on the screen door. If the door does manage to pop open (not often & usually due to something large inside moving & banging up hard against it) it doesnt open more than an inch or so keeping everything in and stops the door from swinging and banging while traveling.
Attached Images

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:42 PM   #30

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Problem solved...
Is that a Scamp fix or a Floyd fix?? It looks great! Any link to detals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
David if you have a screen door on your Scamp here is a photo of the solution for keep the closet door closed. I cant take credit for it the PO made it up - I have only had to replace the elastic a couple of times in 5 years - use the ones for hair that are heavy with some sort of cloth covering them. The metal clip has a bent edge on it that clips into the channel on the screen door. If the door does manage to pop open (not often & usually due to something large inside moving & banging up hard against it) it doesnt open more than an inch or so keeping everything in and stops the door from swinging and banging while traveling.
Thanks Carol, that IS a simple fix

David
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:18 PM   #31

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSo View Post
Is that a Scamp fix or a Floyd fix?? It looks great! Any link to detals?
It's a "Floyd fix" and it works perfect. You can swing the door shut with a soft push with a single finger and the deadbolt is a great improvement.
I bought on E-bay for around $12. It is a standard RV latch and comes in three colors. No link but you are welcome to contact me if I can be of any help.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:51 PM   #32

Name: Roamin’
Trailer: 2018 13’ Scamp Standard, formerly had a 2005 13’ Scamp standard
New Hampshire
Norm, my door was coming open too, and I put a bungie cord on the inside of the door, going from the handle (on the inside) to the curtain rod on the door. It holds the handle "up" and since then it has not opened up on me. I don't ever have to take it off or fuss with it. I thought it was due to flexing too, but maybe it was just the bouncing being enough to move the handle enough to disengage it ...
DogHaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:07 PM   #33

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
+1 on the RV door latch. It is a huge improvement over the Scamp door handles IMO.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:23 AM   #34

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghaus View Post
Norm, my door was coming open too, and I put a bungie cord on the inside of the door, going from the handle (on the inside) to the curtain rod on the door. It holds the handle "up" and since then it has not opened up on me. I don't ever have to take it off or fuss with it. I thought it was due to flexing too, but maybe it was just the bouncing being enough to move the handle enough to disengage it ...
I never had a problem with my original latch coming open, but many people have found that by simply removing the outside handle, turning it 180 degrees and reinstalling it, solved the problem.That way it required lifting the handle instead of turning it downward in order to open it.