On the Road Again - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-18-2011, 12:02 PM   #29

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
David if you have a screen door on your Scamp here is a photo of the solution for keep the closet door closed. I cant take credit for it the PO made it up - I have only had to replace the elastic a couple of times in 5 years - use the ones for hair that are heavy with some sort of cloth covering them. The metal clip has a bent edge on it that clips into the channel on the screen door. If the door does manage to pop open (not often & usually due to something large inside moving & banging up hard against it) it doesnt open more than an inch or so keeping everything in and stops the door from swinging and banging while traveling.
Attached Images

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:42 PM   #30

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Problem solved...
Is that a Scamp fix or a Floyd fix?? It looks great! Any link to detals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
David if you have a screen door on your Scamp here is a photo of the solution for keep the closet door closed. I cant take credit for it the PO made it up - I have only had to replace the elastic a couple of times in 5 years - use the ones for hair that are heavy with some sort of cloth covering them. The metal clip has a bent edge on it that clips into the channel on the screen door. If the door does manage to pop open (not often & usually due to something large inside moving & banging up hard against it) it doesnt open more than an inch or so keeping everything in and stops the door from swinging and banging while traveling.
Thanks Carol, that IS a simple fix

David

Old 11-18-2011, 02:18 PM   #31

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSo View Post
Is that a Scamp fix or a Floyd fix?? It looks great! Any link to detals?
It's a "Floyd fix" and it works perfect. You can swing the door shut with a soft push with a single finger and the deadbolt is a great improvement.
I bought on E-bay for around $12. It is a standard RV latch and comes in three colors. No link but you are welcome to contact me if I can be of any help.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:51 PM   #32

Name: Roamin
Trailer: Scamp 13'
New Hampshire
Norm, my door was coming open too, and I put a bungie cord on the inside of the door, going from the handle (on the inside) to the curtain rod on the door. It holds the handle "up" and since then it has not opened up on me. I don't ever have to take it off or fuss with it. I thought it was due to flexing too, but maybe it was just the bouncing being enough to move the handle enough to disengage it ...
Old 11-18-2011, 11:07 PM   #33

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
+1 on the RV door latch. It is a huge improvement over the Scamp door handles IMO.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:23 AM   #34

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghaus View Post
Norm, my door was coming open too, and I put a bungie cord on the inside of the door, going from the handle (on the inside) to the curtain rod on the door. It holds the handle "up" and since then it has not opened up on me. I don't ever have to take it off or fuss with it. I thought it was due to flexing too, but maybe it was just the bouncing being enough to move the handle enough to disengage it ...
I never had a problem with my original latch coming open, but many people have found that by simply removing the outside handle, turning it 180 degrees and reinstalling it, solved the problem.That way it required lifting the handle instead of turning it downward in order to open it.