On the Road Again - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-16-2011, 01:45 PM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
On the Road Again

We leave in the morning for our fall, winter, spring, summer get away. In terms of time, this will be our longest trip covering some 26 states, 2 provinces, some projected 11,000 miles.

The states include all the border states and all the ocean states except Maine. We also hope to get to Colorado this year the only state we haven't been to in an RV. Interestingly I think we've been to every state at least 2 times in one of our RVs.

Since it's almost winter we'll be doing a clockwise loop this year heading down the east coast.

Safe travels to all of you and thank you for the many tips on upgrading our Scamp and suggestioms for campgrounds.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:50 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
We leave in the morning for our fall, winter, spring, summer get away. In terms of time, this will be our longest trip covering some 26 states, 2 provinces, some projected 11,000 miles.

The states include all the border states and all the ocean states except Maine. We also hope to get to Colorado this year the only state we haven't been to in an RV. Interestingly I think we've been to every state at least 2 times in one of our RVs.

Since it's almost winter we'll be doing a clockwise loop this year heading down the east coast.

Safe travels to all of you and thank you for the many tips on upgrading our Scamp and suggestioms for campgrounds.
Here's sincerely wishing you the very best on your trip with just enough adventure to build good memories and stories!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:04 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:

Let me know when get to Oregon. Just might come join you for a bit.
We just might find you someplace on the road. We'll be heading south in January with the first stop Death Valley, eventually on the New Orleans. Before returning home, probably sometime in May or late April.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:10 PM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
Quote:

Heading out of the driveway is always a soul stirring experience. Anticipation, intrigue, excitement, and even a pinch of trepidation. A heady cocktail! Safe and wonderful journey to you and Ginny!

David
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:17 PM   #5

Name: Michael
Trailer: U-Haul CT-13
North Carolina
Norm and Ginny.
Sounds like a very nice trip. Best wishes. Have a great time, and be safe.
Mike in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:53 PM   #6

Name: Roamin’
Trailer: 2018 13’ Scamp Standard, formerly had a 2005 13’ Scamp standard
New Hampshire
Have a wonderful trip!
If you are near Glenwood Springs, CO, I highly recommend their hot springs pool. Especially in winter!
DogHaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:37 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Do you keep a blog or site where folks can follow your updates from time to time? Have a wonderful trip!
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:55 PM   #8

Name: Noel
Trailer: 1979 13' Boler
British Columbia
Registry
Have a great adventure! If you manage to make it over to Vancouver Island, we should plan a meet-up.

Noel
Red-Dwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:39 PM   #9

Trailer: Aliner
Norm and Ginny, hope this is your most wonderful trip ever! Post lots of pictures when you get the chance.
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:41 PM   #10

Name: Melissa
Trailer: 17ft Casita FD '06 tv: Toyota Rav4 V6 2010
Florida
Registry
South Carolina coast... I loved Huntington Beach State Park, some really good birdwatching there and beautiful campground (and of course, the beach too....) it tends to fill-up though so get reservations early, and if that's a no-go then Myrtle Beach State Park also has a very nice campground. (it's northern South Carolina coast)

Are you heading to Georgia? I highly recommend Fort Mcallaster State Historic Park, it's right along the coast, has some nice little trails by the campground. And if you'll head down to South Florida send me a message, I'll tell ya where to go!
Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:43 PM   #11

Florida
Newsletter

Do you keep a blog or site where folks can follow your updates from time to time? Have a wonderful trip!

We do write a Newsletter about our travels. If you'd like to be on the mailing list please PM me with your email address. We try to point out the unusual that we come across.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-16-2011, 07:07 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Pm sent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:33 AM   #13

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
safe travels. we who cannot get away can do so vicariously by reading your posts.....keep 'em coming!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:39 AM   #14

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Norm & Ginny - have a Great and safe trip.
Keep us posted as to your where abouts - never know when paths may cross. I'm Heading out on Monday but going counter clock wise and not for near the length of time you guys are! Wish I was.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:52 AM   #15

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Country music always seems to go well with the rhythm of turning wheels at moderate road speeds....

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:54 AM   #16

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
I can't get my wife away from her hobby, (obsession really), of quilting long enough to go on an adventure like that. She has severe RA in her hands so she can't do hand quilting or maybe she would consider it. (That, plus one of my favorite hobbies is woodworking, and it doesn't lend itself very well to RVing either.)
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:16 AM   #17

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
I can't get my wife away from her hobby, (obsession really), of quilting long enough to go on an adventure like that. She has severe RA in her hands so she can't do hand quilting or maybe she would consider it. (That, plus one of my favorite hobbies is woodworking, and it doesn't lend itself very well to RVing either.)
Your wife needs to check with Louise.. she had a quilt in the National Quilt Show in Paducah, Kentucky. She and her husband John, pulled their 17' Escape from Washington State to the show. They camped both ways and had a great time! There's a bunch of egg owner quilters (say that fast three times).

And Ray, quite a few of us have been recipients of Mike's wonderful turned bowls. He's even brought his wood lathe to the Oregon Gathering and put on a workshop. Boy did the chips fly!

I can think of very few hobbies that can't be done at the same time a person is camping.... well, maybe if it has something to do with metal... like welding or iron work. And yes, maybe adapting is necessary. More handtools and less powertools, etc.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:05 PM   #18

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
Hobbies on the road seems like either a song title or a good topic of discussion.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:12 PM   #19

Florida
Started

We hit the road and stopped to check things out after traveling about 20 miles, wondering how the taped down solar panels were doing on their first road trip. They were fine but much too our surprise when we stopped the door opened and even though it had been locked.

We closed it and some 100 miles later we noticed it opened again. I broke out the drill and put a screw in the belly band near the door and put a bungee cord between the handle and the screw for the time being.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-17-2011, 05:08 PM   #20

Trailer: Aliner
Norm, good you are getting the little glitches out of the way early in the trip. Hope that means the rest will be smooth sailing!
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote