One good reason to have a small trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2012, 05:44 PM   #1

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
One good reason to have a small trailer

I saw this and thought how nice it is to not worry with my small trailer.

11foot8 videos
Old 07-06-2012, 09:51 PM   #2

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
Many years ago a semi got stuck under a bridge coming up the mountain here in CA. The State sued the driver for the bridge damage. The driver countersued and won-the state had paved the road 3 times since putting up the height sign which raised the road surface over 6".
Old 07-07-2012, 07:56 AM   #3

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
That's one accident that sounds the like the state didn't think ahead.

I look at some of the 5th wheel trailers and while they look great inside, I always wounder how they would be to drive in low branch and bridge situations. On my Scamp, if the SUV clears, the trailer is only another 2 feet above it.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:16 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
A very interesting site.
My wife and I have enjoyed watching huge rigs struggle to back into tight spots at some of the state parks that we have visited. At Hunting Island one particularly big rig finally made it in only to discover that the slide-outs couldn't be opened because of the narrow spot.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:52 PM   #5

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
yup,,,,size isn't everything.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:03 PM   #6

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Dexter Mich. has a stone arch rail road overpass that gets nailed. We had a driver hit it, his helper was napping at the time. Helper woke up on the floor and the solid aluminum leading edge of the box was totally smashed.

Thing that always puzzled me was it's an "arch" and if you stay in your lane it's pretty darn clear your going to hit it, yet people do.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:49 PM   #7

Name: Lew
Trailer: none
Pennsylvania
Just three weeks ago, leaving work, and heading home, I have to go under a single lane arched stone bridge. It's a courtesy thing, take turns, well it's my turn and I see this fifth wheel coming with no plans to stop, sure enough the whole top of the camping trailer comes off and he goes another 200 yards before stopping. I honestly believe he knew what was going to happen. He had no intentions of stopping and it looked as though it was his plan to do this. Thank God no one was hurt.
BigLew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:58 PM   #8

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Had one of those stone arch RR bridges in Newark, DE. For a tractor/trailer it was definitely a go slow and straddle the midstripe situation. Gone since the early 80s. Pretty common to deflate the tires on lowboys hauling large sailboats with masts in cradles on decks. One thing to cut a bigger hole in the building they're built in. Another to hold up traffic for 20 minutes cause you didn't think ahead and scout ahead.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote