One look at Bigfoot and wife snubbed all else - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-22-2007, 07:51 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I did lots of homework in selecting a trailer to go with our 2005 Dodge 2500 Cummins (long bed with cap) and got our choices down to Sunnybrooks, Artic Fox/Nash and Bigfoot.
The first trailer we saw was the most expensive by far, the 3000 series Bigfoot 2400, listed at $54,000 which sounds like a lot for a trailer that size so I sort of ruled it out though I loved it too. I knew we coud get a discount down to at least $44 K but that still was too much for us.

However, my wife went bananas over that Bigfoot. You could see the quality. From then on, whe wouldn't even consider anything else. She turned up her nose at Sunnybrook and Artic Fox/ Nash even though I tried to explain they are anything but
"junk. She'd frown during the whole visit. Today I got the Bigfoot down to $40 K (loaded with options) and gave in. Gotta keep the wife happy. We won't pick it up until my wife finishes teaching in late June but we both are excited and feel it's the right choice.

The trailer has a slider and U-shaped seating arrangement and is, of course, four seasons. For its size it appears very roomy--something we could enjoy for a long time. We better at that price since I think only New Horizons cost more. With the capped longbed, we could probably enjoy fulltiming in this trailer. It oozes luxury and a sense of being well-constructed. (Hey, anyone want to buy our house?)

As for the price, I figure we won't have any buyer's remorse here: It might be exorbitant for a trailer that size but the truck (bought used with 31,000 miles and Lariat package) and trailer combined, along with taxes, tags, hitches and all other equipment will still run under 70K. What kind of motorhome would we have gotten for that? Even one nice Sprinter Class B we looked at ran $83,500 on sale.

The Bigfoot ought to fit in any campgrounds easily and in climates where other trailers might have a problem and should last long after many trailers have fallen to pieces while the diesel should keep fuel expenses down on long trips. I enjoy driving that vehicle on the highway with cruise control set.

Old 05-22-2007, 08:11 PM   #2

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Well even if it isn't MOLDED...it's a BigFoot and we have tons of members who own them...so I doubt you'll find anyone here to disagree with your wife's choice

Pics...be sure to post some pics!

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 08:31 PM   #3

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Well done, Frank's wife!

Roger
Old 05-23-2007, 12:28 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Whoo-hoo, nothing like startin' out at the top! Wishing you many years of safe journeys and wonderful memories. Oh, yeah ... start full-timin' now! You'll never look back. Take care, L 'n D
Old 05-23-2007, 12:43 PM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft
Quote:
I did lots of homework in selecting a trailer to go with our 2005 Dodge 2500 Cummins (long bed with cap) and got our choices down to Sunnybrooks, Artic Fox/Nash and Bigfoot.
The first trailer we saw was the most expensive by far, the 3000 series Bigfoot 2400, listed at $54,000 which sounds like a lot for a trailer that size so I sort of ruled it out though I loved it too.
Thank You for sharing. I really enjoyed your post.

Got a question. Can you share a guesstimate of what you are getting mileage wise towing and not towing with your Dodge?
Old 05-23-2007, 05:21 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
THE BIGFOOT: 30T2401

I only had a few minutes to look it over this trailer first time I saw it (dealer was closing and I wanted to drive on to check out the pickup I later bought).

Today when I went up to pay the dealer I got a better look at it and felt--looking at the quality and the options included--that it was a very good deal for 40K. When I made the down payment, I got the dealer to come down $1 more--a symbolic thing because I wante to pay uner that figure.

In terms of trailer length that seems expensive if you failed to consider quality and options. Except for the substantially more expensive and custom made New Horizons, he closest 4-season comparale for that, Artic Fox 25 R or similar (rated sunbird not full timer however) would run about 25 K after discount. According to the sheet I got from the dealer, the manufacturer's listed base price was $1 K more than I paid, but this trailer had every option listed ($11,564) plus freight, so total discount was $14 K.

I have no buyers' remorse and don't feel I overpaid. This trailer was worth it (especially since it turns on my wife!). About the only major things I need to add are electric tongue jacks, a generator for boondocking and the brake controller.

I believe the dealer is right about this trailer--two people could fulltime in this (24 1/2 feet or not) in widely varied climates. I is well insulalted with thermopane windows & roof skyline with blind that goes across. Everything looks top quality and it has a great sense of space with lots of nice little touches, such as the covered propane tanks on front and fiberglass roof (no rubber). I like the U-shape dining tables and well constructed cupboards.

In terms of living space it has more room inside than a Class C I looked at (very nice and also a Bigfoot) though the latter has a huge storage area underneath. However, I've got that big covered bed in the pickup where I can put generator, bikes, suitcases and maybe a few other things (suitcases are for if get across the country, need to return home and prefer to fly round trip rather than drive back.

The RV dealer (Indian Valley RV near Souderton outside Philly) is apparently one of the few on the east coast that handles Bigfoots since they come all the way from British Columbia. I haven't noticed any for sale around here.

MPG, THE TRUCK & THE SALESMAN

REgaring the mileage question, I believe the big monster actually gets around 20 mpg highway not towing. Folks say it won't drop a great deal when I tow (the Bigfoot GVWR is 8800 pounds by the way) Someone said the engine probably weights the same as the 2006 Mazda Miata I traded in on it. Yet with diesel prices where they are and the Mazda getting 27 mpg highway aveage but PREMIUM, my fuel prices when going long distance should be that different than it I had the Miata. That's hard to imagine, isn't it?

When we were done, Paul, the RV salesman, glanced out at my pickup and aske to check it out--(burgundy/maroon? with matching cap over longbed--huge, high-up 4WD with aluminum wheels, leather seats and chrome steps the previous owner added Paul asked to try it out and went on a short drive while I went back to sit in the trailer and fantasize. He couldn't believe I got it for $31.5 K.

I had trouble finding used Dodges with Cummins engine locally so I found this place via an online search (Kressley's near Allentown Pa.). Love that truck when I saw it in online and live. The dealer had a hord of trucks, 250's right through 750s--all used.

LATER POSTS: RECIPES & FILM RECOMMENDATIONS

When I geta chance (I'm "homeworked" out for now) I'd like to post more recipes in the appropriate forum here. Also, I put together a catalogue for online film rentals via outfits like Blockbuster and Netflix which includes a two favorties lists that contain many sleepers most folks never heard of. I'll make that available to if anyone here is interested.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:48 PM   #7

Quote:
REgaring the mileage question, I believe the big monster actually gets around 20 mpg highway not towing. Folks say it won't drop a great deal when I tow (the Bigfoot GVWR is 8800 pounds by the way) Someone said the engine probably weights the same as the 2006 Mazda Miata I traded in on it. Yet with diesel prices where they are and the Mazda getting 27 mpg highway aveage but PREMIUM, my fuel prices when going long distance should be that different than it I had the Miata. That's hard to imagine, isn't it?
Please keep in touch on what your mileage is towing.

Old 05-23-2007, 05:50 PM   #8

Quote:
LATER POSTS: RECIPES & FILM RECOMMENDATIONS
When I geta chance (I'm "homeworked" out for now) I'd like to post more recipes in the appropriate forum here. Also, I put together a catalogue for online film rentals via outfits like Blockbuster and Netflix which includes a two favorties lists that contain many sleepers most folks never heard of. I'll make that available to if anyone here is interested.
Yes, there is a couple other forums that might be a good place to post.

Recipes in the Food section.

your film rentals in the General Chat.

Old 05-23-2007, 05:52 PM   #9

Quote:
THE BIGFOOT: 30T2401

I only had a few minutes to look it over this trailer first time I saw it (dealer was closing and I wanted to drive on to check out the pickup I later bought).

Today when I went up to pay the dealer I got a better look at it and felt--looking at the quality and the options included--that it was a very good deal for 40K. When I made the down payment, I got the dealer to come down $1 more--a symbolic thing because I wante to pay uner that figure.

In terms of trailer length that seems expensive if you failed to consider quality and options. Except for the substantially more expensive and custom made New Horizons, he closest 4-season comparale for that, Artic Fox 25 R or similar (rated sunbird not full timer however) would run about 25 K after discount. According to the sheet I got from the dealer, the manufacturer's listed base price was $1 K more than I paid, but this trailer had every option listed ($11,564) plus freight, so total discount was $14 K.
Photos, we would love to see photos.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:56 AM   #10

Trailer: Bigfoot
Hi
Like you, once we saw a Bigfoot, nothing else would do. We bought our 2500 series B25, RQ a year ago and love it. We just returned from an 11 week trip from Virginia to the Florida keys and back. We tow with a Nissan Armada and get about 10 mpg when towing, 15mpg when not. If anyone is interested in pictures from our trip, check out http://mysite.verizon.net/ragove/id2.html

Ron & Sandy Gove
Old 05-29-2007, 08:07 AM   #11
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Texas
Registry
Quote:
Hi
Like you, once we saw a Bigfoot, nothing else would do. We bought our 2500 series B25, RQ a year ago and love it. We just returned from an 11 week trip from Virginia to the Florida keys and back. We tow with a Nissan Armada and get about 10 mpg when towing, 15mpg when not. If anyone is interested in pictures from our trip, check out http://mysite.verizon.net/ragove/id2.html

Ron & Sandy Gove
Nice pics!!
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 09:20 AM   #12

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Sandy & Ron,
Looks like you are well on your way to creating a whole new set of memories! Nice documentation and photos, thanks for sharing them.
Missing awning?

Kurt & Ann K.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:58 AM   #13

Thanks for the photos.

Old 05-29-2007, 04:00 PM   #14

Trailer: Bigfoot
Quote:
Sandy & Ron,
Looks like you are well on your way to creating a whole new set of memories! Nice documentation and photos, thanks for sharing them.
Missing awning?

Kurt & Ann K.
Re the awning--we lost it in a biblical rainstorm in Ocala National Forest. We eventually got it replaced by Keith's Mobile RV service, St Petersburg, FL. he came out to our site at Fort De Soto and replaced it for a very reasonable price. Now it only is open when we need it and it goes in when we don't. Once bitten twice shy!

Ron & Sandy

Tags
bigfoot