One night camping around Portland, OR - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-20-2014, 12:34 PM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 16 Delux
Oregon
Registry
One night camping around Portland, OR

I will be traveling up to the Sportsman's Show in February, from my home in Roseburg, OR. I would like to bring my Compact I and stay over for the night instead of traveling back home after a long day at the fairgrounds.
My plan is to visit the fairgrounds on Wednesday, the opener, stay over that night and drive home Thursday. I would need to get set up before noon on Wednesday.
I would only use an electrical hookup, but that is not important if not available. However, a restroom would also be nice.
Can anyone suggest a small state campground within a reasonable distance from the fairgrounds, perhaps off the 205.
Attached Thumbnails
Profile1.JPG  

Old 01-20-2014, 02:10 PM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
There is a Sportsmen's show at the Expo center just off I-5. Don't know about any other shows. If this is the show you are referring to, I-205 is further away. There is a RV park really close by on Hayden Island (I-5) but I don't know about one night stays. I have seen many RV's parked on the road south of the RV park and some of them appear to have occupants inside for days. The area I'm referring to is just west oh the Target on Hayden Island. Hayden Island is also called Janzen Beach. I think you might be able to stay right at the show. Seem to remember seeing RV's overnight.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:31 PM   #3

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Jantzen Beach RV, about as close as you're going to get! Jantzen Beach RV Park
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:01 AM   #4

Oregon
Registry
Camping for the Sportsman's Show

Thankyou for a couple of places to look into.

I referred to the 205 corridor because I would be on the route home. A few miles from the fairgrounds would not bother me.

I like small, state, campgrounds that don't appear to be parking lots for buses and mega-trailers. Since I don't really need the full hook ups the fees are usually reduced.

Those parking at the fairgrounds are usually the venders and I would imagine there would be little room left since that show is the largest Sportsman's Show west of the Mississippi.

It appears that my searches led me to many state parks that are for hiking, beaches, bird watching, etc., and not the overnight parking spots. I will check out your suggestions and thanks.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:48 AM   #5

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
If you want to go just a little further from PDX, Champoeg State Heritage Area is a beautiful little park. About 40 min into town. Loop A has water and electric, loop B full hookups. Restrooms with showers.

Oregon State Parks and Recreation Department: Champoeg State Heritage Area

Happy Trails,
Kathie

Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:57 PM   #6

Name: Trent
Trailer: Burro
Oregon
More options that you might consider, there's a rv park that accepts overnights in troutdale on the sandy river. It would be about a15-20 minute drive to the expo center. Another option about 10-15 minutes further would be oxbow park. It will be very quiet that time of year. The troutdale location has full hookups, oxbow has only restrooms. FYI , I don't think oxbow has cell reception. If it was me I would hit the show, drive to troutdale and have dinner @ tads chicken n' dumplins and head to oxbow for a peaceful night by the river.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:32 AM   #7

Oregon
Registry
That's an interesting thought Trent.

I'm thinking that I want to leave the trailer south of the fairgrounds and not have to park with it at the show. After the show I would drive back to the trailer, a short way, and then continue south the next morning.

I'm thinking I need to see Champoeg Park where the spring get together is held.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:35 AM   #8

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
I agree with Trent, Champoeg would be my first choose. I like to shop :-) in Portland and I have tried a couple of the other options suggested but find Champoeg to be the most pleasant to camp at. Its a pretty easy straight forward drive to the fairgrounds.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:59 AM   #9

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
camping around Portland

North of the boarder in Washington, is Paradise Point SP just off I-5 at the LaCenter exit, a RV park at the Ridgefield Exit, and Hwy 99 RV Park.
Jantzen Beach a good place.
Chuck
Old 01-22-2014, 01:27 PM   #10

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthwestOregon201 View Post
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]I referred to the 205 corridor because I would be on the route home. A few miles from the fairgrounds would not bother me.
FYI:

205 is WAY out of your way for the trip home!

The Sportsman's show is at the ExpoCenter, which is right off I-5. You'd add at least ten miles to your route if you took the 205 cutoff coming from/going to Roseberg.

Also: Since it sounds like you might consider a drive as far as Champoeg for the night, I can recommend a good free place about 15 miles closer to the Expo center.

The Baldock rest area on I-5 (mp281) is unique in that there's an area w-a-a-a-y in the back that's well treed and far enough from the freeway that it's pretty quiet. See aerial photo/info at this link.

This option would of course mean you'd be keeping the trailer with you while at the show...but it's not only closer/right on your route home, it's FREE!
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:04 PM   #11

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I live in PDX, no way I'd leave a trailer unattended at Baldock, nor would I (as a single person) spend the night there. You have to remember Portland is Oregon's largest city. As much as I hate to say it, we have problems with homeless and transients and people willing to do just whatever it takes to steal.

Too, Troutdale is a lovely small bedroom city of PDX, but if you have to fight traffic, even on the weekend, staying miles from where you want to be most of the day can be stressful.

I love Champoeg and have camped there many times over the years. It's the most popular state park in Oregon due to it's proximity to Portland. But still, 40 miles is 40 miles and it's more than 15 miles off I-5.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:52 PM   #12

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I live in PDX, no way I'd leave a trailer unattended at Baldock, nor would I (as a single person) spend the night there. You have to remember Portland is Oregon's largest city. As much as I hate to say it, we have problems with homeless and transients and people willing to do just whatever it takes to steal.
Who suggested leaving a trailer unattended at a rest area? Not me...short road to a tow, in my opinion.

Per overnighting at Baldock, here speaking from Actual Experience:

I was born/raised in Portland, visit there often, and have spent many a night at the Baldock rest area. Most of those sojourns were as "a lone woman", but on two occasions I had my Grandchildren with me. I've never been molested in any way, nor have I ever feared that I would be. And certainly I wouldn't have exposed my Grandkids to any such danger.

Nor would I ever base any recommendation for/against an overnight stay location on stereotypical presumptions about a Certain Class of People rumored to infest such places.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:58 AM   #13

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post

Too, Troutdale is a lovely small bedroom city of PDX, but if you have to fight traffic, even on the weekend, staying miles from where you want to be most of the day can be stressful.

I love Champoeg and have camped there many times over the years. It's the most popular state park in Oregon due to it's proximity to Portland. But still, 40 miles is 40 miles and it's more than 15 miles off I-5.
I stayed at Troutdale once on a winter trip as I was trying to put a few extra miles behind me while heading north and thought I would try something other than Champoeg for a change. Troutdale was a nice clean RV park and I believe it was a Good Sam park but there are lots of BIG rigs and a fair number of full timers living there, although they kept their spaces very clean. Very open campground with no privacy between spots. It was overall a very different ambiance/camping experience from Champoeg. As a result Champoeg has remained my first choose for camping when in the Portland area.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:11 PM   #14

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Since its only one nite, and you aren't making a vacation of it, I have to second (Or third or forth) Champoeg. Logistically it works for you, Its a State park and a reasonable "camping" experience, just like you want. It's on the way in and out, and it is clean, quiet and easy to get to. I would go into the first loop, which has more trees and is more campground like than the back loop. The back loop is more like an RV park.

You will have to watch the morning (and afternoon) traffic, it can get pretty knarly on 205 and then south of Portland metro..but having suffered living in LA for 15 years, I still find it a bit laughable. At least you are moving.