Ontario parks questions: Lake Superior and Algonquin - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-31-2013, 02:57 PM   #15

Name: Bizzian
Trailer: 13 ft Boler 1986
Ontario
Registry
Jen: I have been camping in Algonquin since I was a little girl and that's a very long time ago. Mew Lake is a smaller campground, more private, open all year, right next to Lake of Two Rivers and has hydro. There are lots of hiking trails, or rent a canoe from Opeongo store. We are booked the end of April to beat the bugs and the crowds. We usually get moose, bear, fishers, foxes, otters and mink come right through the campground. The moose come out to the road puddles for the winter road salt. Fishing is also excellent.
However, our favourite is in the North East corner of Algonquin. Kiosk is a drop off point for interior campers and has 20 some odd campgrounds. No Hydro but the most peaceful, prettiest place in Ontario and the road in is paved, unlike Akray. You are also within 35 minutes of a couple of towns up on highway 17. We spend a couple of weeks there every fall and come home so refreshed!! Ontario Parks website will give you all the info you need.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:56 PM   #16

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Hmmm, you guys might have me swinging back to algonquin - both are so appealing! But maybe we go for the shorter drive when we've only got a little over a week for this trip.

Thanks again for all the great info!

Old 01-31-2013, 07:23 PM   #17

Pennsylvania
Registry
OH! and here's another question about internets - maybe a question for americans who travel in Canada. If the mister give his students take-home finals and we're able to get away during finals week, he'd need some wifi access in order to collect exam submissions. And in my job I'll be still in the middle of launching a huge project so I'll want some more or less regular ability to check in.

I'm assuming it will cost me an arm and a leg to use my iphone's wifi hotspot function with my american phone account for things like downloading a boatload of word documents - how do folks handle that kind of thing? I am hip to all the arguments about disconnecting for vacation, but the nature of our work means we need to stay plugged in.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:55 PM   #18

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
I can tell you how I do it when I visit the US or travel internationally. Turn off all location services. Under Settings turn on Wi-fi. Set your phone under General settings "Network" - Turn the Data Roaming to "Off" turn the Cellular Data to "Off".
That way you can download all your mail and anything else you want using a free wi-fi spot and not be charged by your carrier.

With those settings above your phone will still ring and you still will get text messages - if you want to stop those you need to turn the phone right off. You should call your phone carrier to see if they have a North America travel add on package - often they do and it brings the costs of texts down to a more reasonable cost. But if you only do a few text messages while your away the cost of the travel plan may not be worth it. But be warned they can charge anywhere from 20 to 30 cents a text without a plan.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:57 PM   #19

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
hmmm so lets see,,,you want to be in the wilderness with not many other people around with electricity and plumbing?lol
seriously i donp;t know how much time you have,, but consider circumnavigating lake superior, cruise all around it and camp where you can.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:41 PM   #20

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Little Guy Teardrop
Ontario
use your wifi only.. go to Fast food restaurants to find free wifi.. oh and stay away from Lake Superior Park.. you'd be lucky to get much cell coverage let alone wifi hot spots
Old 02-01-2013, 03:24 PM   #21

Pennsylvania
Registry
Right on - I'm good with wifi-only *when there is wifi available* - but are there options for cellular data that I don't know about? Like a lot of public-owned campgrounds, there's no wifi service in the Ontario parks as far as I can tell, which is entirely reasonable.

I manage this in the US by turning on the personal hotspot service on the iphone when we're not in a wifi location and need to get in touch with work, but that can't be good for my bill when I'm in Canada, even with the travel option set up - I've found before that it's easy to shoot right on past the data limits!
Old 02-01-2013, 03:50 PM   #22

British Columbia
Registry
Jen, you shouldnt expect to find many free wi-fi spots while in the parks - as much as some might not like it we dont allow Starbucks coffee shops to set up shop in the parks. ;-)) If Wi-fi access is a must I suggest that purchasing a data add on plan before you leave is your best bet and keep the data usage down by using the free wi-fi you find while moving around to other areas.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:04 PM   #23

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Probably not much help for huge amounts of data, but my daughter loaded WhatsApp on my iPhone. I use it to send text messages to her without getting charged for messaging by my provider. WhatsApp uses my WiFi at home ( or anywhere it's available ) to send text from my phone to hers in Halifax.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:17 PM   #24

British Columbia
Registry
WhatsApp is good if the party you are texting also has it but unfortunately it uses your internet data plan to send messages so if your roaming outside your country you will get hammered on web data usage if you dont buy a travel data plan.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:42 PM   #25

British Columbia
I don't follow you. But, I don't get the appeal of FaceBook, Twitter, or most Apps.
If I can use gmail outside of Canada, simply by going to a free WiFi hotspot, why wouldn't I be able to use WhatsApp to do the same, from my iPhone, without incurring data charges. My regular mail program is Shaw, but I also have a gmail address ( just don't remember what it is ).
Both sender and receiver do have to have WhatsApp, I believe. I have a pay-as-you-go Telus account ( nobody ever calls me and I don't call anybody, so it's perfect).
Old 02-01-2013, 09:03 PM   #26

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Now they just need to sell a WhatsApp Dock
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:23 PM   #27

British Columbia
Registry
Sorry Glenn I guess I wasnt clear. You can as you say use WhatsApp on free Wifi without any charges - the problem as you know is that wifi isnt something we find to often in our Provincial/National parks where the OP plans to camp.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:43 PM   #28

British Columbia
Too true. I don't think there is any cheap solution to that problem.
I had a company internet stick when I was employed. Used it to watch one period of a Canucks playoff game before I got warned I was over the data limit.
Company probably wouldn't have noticed. After all my company cell phone still works, six months after leaving ( and three times telling them it is still active ).