Ontario parks questions: Lake Superior and Algonquin - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-01-2013, 03:24 PM   #21

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Right on - I'm good with wifi-only *when there is wifi available* - but are there options for cellular data that I don't know about? Like a lot of public-owned campgrounds, there's no wifi service in the Ontario parks as far as I can tell, which is entirely reasonable.

I manage this in the US by turning on the personal hotspot service on the iphone when we're not in a wifi location and need to get in touch with work, but that can't be good for my bill when I'm in Canada, even with the travel option set up - I've found before that it's easy to shoot right on past the data limits!
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:50 PM   #22

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Jen, you shouldnt expect to find many free wi-fi spots while in the parks - as much as some might not like it we dont allow Starbucks coffee shops to set up shop in the parks. ;-)) If Wi-fi access is a must I suggest that purchasing a data add on plan before you leave is your best bet and keep the data usage down by using the free wi-fi you find while moving around to other areas.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:04 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Probably not much help for huge amounts of data, but my daughter loaded WhatsApp on my iPhone. I use it to send text messages to her without getting charged for messaging by my provider. WhatsApp uses my WiFi at home ( or anywhere it's available ) to send text from my phone to hers in Halifax.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:17 PM   #24

Registry
WhatsApp is good if the party you are texting also has it but unfortunately it uses your internet data plan to send messages so if your roaming outside your country you will get hammered on web data usage if you dont buy a travel data plan.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:42 PM   #25

I don't follow you. But, I don't get the appeal of FaceBook, Twitter, or most Apps.
If I can use gmail outside of Canada, simply by going to a free WiFi hotspot, why wouldn't I be able to use WhatsApp to do the same, from my iPhone, without incurring data charges. My regular mail program is Shaw, but I also have a gmail address ( just don't remember what it is ).
Both sender and receiver do have to have WhatsApp, I believe. I have a pay-as-you-go Telus account ( nobody ever calls me and I don't call anybody, so it's perfect).
Old 02-01-2013, 09:03 PM   #26

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Now they just need to sell a WhatsApp Dock
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:23 PM   #27

Registry
Sorry Glenn I guess I wasnt clear. You can as you say use WhatsApp on free Wifi without any charges - the problem as you know is that wifi isnt something we find to often in our Provincial/National parks where the OP plans to camp.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:43 PM   #28

Too true. I don't think there is any cheap solution to that problem.
I had a company internet stick when I was employed. Used it to watch one period of a Canucks playoff game before I got warned I was over the data limit.
Company probably wouldn't have noticed. After all my company cell phone still works, six months after leaving ( and three times telling them it is still active ).
Old 02-02-2013, 09:08 AM   #29

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
we have tim hortons, starbucks, some mcdonalds, and other chains with wifi access, also many small mom and pop type coffee shops offer some variety of wifi to compete with the chains. As far as algonquin, depending on the area you go to it is incredible. I spent 3-1/2 months in kiosk in 1981 and it was incredible. excellent views, easy access to the park interior and close proximity to Achray for even better views.

From Kiosk it would be 1/2 hour to Mattawa where you should be able to get a wifi hot spot
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:18 AM   #30

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
Registry
I agree with Joe's assessment of Kiosk. I camped there a few years ago. It was the first week of August and the campsites were less than half full. It was quiet and peaceful.
Will M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:20 PM   #31

Trailer: Trillium Jubilee
Registry
Go to Lake Superior Provincial Park. Your best chance of seeing sandhill cranes is along 17 between Espanola and the Sault. I have seen them twice there - once in th ditch beside 17 and most recently at Hwy 6 and Lang Lake Rd (Hwy 6 is the road that comes up to intersect with 17 from the ferry to Manitoulin.)

The best place to eat once you get north of th Sault is Batchewana Bay - the Voyageur (look it up on tripadvisor) has great breakfasts andd is also a motel. Across the road from it is Batchewana Bay Provincial Park, a day use park with a stunning long beach. We have seen mergansers and mink there. It is also where the Superior water is warmest.

Just outside Batchewana is Salzburger Hof, which has a great fish fry each summer Friday. See its website. North of Batchewana, there is not much civilization. Just big honkin' group of 7-type sweeping vistas of lake and rock and sky and trees. You can camp at Pancake Bay Provincial Park, which has another beautiful beach but isn't too wild as it parallels the highway. It has electrical hookups, showers, etc. - try to go towards the north end as you get less highway noise.

If you want seclusion, go up to the Crescent Lake campground in Lake Superior PP, or Rabbit Blanket Lake. Beware of the giant grade at Montreal River Harbour (which is about the only place to get gas between Batchewana and Wawa.) At Rabbit blanket Lake we have fished and had loons swim up to check us out.

I might even reveal where Secret Beach is.....
Pat Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:50 AM   #32

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
another option, if you need to have electricity is: Stay at Samuel de Champlain in an electric site, and drive the 1/2 hour into Algonquin in the morning. I have also been to this park, but I don't remember it very well

joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:30 AM   #33

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: jen b...A personal favorite of ours is on the west of Algonquin at Huntsville Ont. Arrowhead Prov. Pk. It is huge 1250 Hectares, has 2 great lakes to canoe, with two rivers and a waterfalls. Many miles of hiking trails, every type of camping area...and is right next door to Huntsville.Welcome to Ontario Parks Lots to do for everyone.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
arrowhead P.Pk..jpg   My canoe runs on water.jpg  

almost done.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:55 AM   #34

Registry
Hi: jen b...Another neat sight on the Georgian Bay is the Big Chute Marine Railway near Severn Falls. It's the only way to get the boats up from Lake Huron into the Trent/Severn waterway. Other than a fiberglass trailer it's the only other way to travel IMHO!!! So many things to see...so little time!!!
Attached Thumbnails
UP, UP, and away..jpg  
Old 02-03-2013, 08:17 AM   #35

Registry
Hi: jen b... I just looked back at your original post and noticed you want some wild life too. Rent a canoe at Arrowhead and roam the lake...you might see some!!!
Attached Thumbnails
buckey has the munchies.jpg   morning after.jpg  

Old 02-03-2013, 08:40 AM   #36

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Alf, I've never seen bacon made from a beaver before.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:01 AM   #37

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Hi: Thomas G..."You have to be kidding"!!! Buckey is more protected than I am. We do however make beaver tails...but not in a Provincial Pk.
The morning after was a wake up from the partying. I revived the fire and decided it was just hot enough to slo cook the bacon on it. Sorry you can't smell the aroma of wood smoke and bacon cooking. MMMMM
Old 02-03-2013, 10:22 AM   #38

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
LOL Tom! Dont you know the Canadian beaver received the highest honour ever bestowed on a rodent. Its the official emblem of Canada. An "act to provide for the recognition of the beaver as a symbol of the sovereignty of Canada" received Royal assent. Turn one into the bacon and the Queen might release her hounds!