Opinion needed - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2012, 12:25 PM   #1

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita
Registry
Opinion needed

In your opinion what 6 volt batteries is the best to use in applications for our eggs ? And why ? Thank you very much !
Old 11-23-2012, 12:30 PM   #2

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
LOL! Don't know if you'll find anyone around here who shares opinions!
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:45 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Unless you plan to camp where there is no electricity the 12V battery thing is not an issue.

I always recommend to purchase a battery that has a 3 year total replacement then if I over charge and ruin it in that time period, I just take it back and get a new one. Check Wallyworld to see if they still have the 3 year replacement warrantee.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:03 PM   #4

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Since most of ours are twelve volt systems, the extra weight required by the necessity of using two 6 volt batteries can be a practical bar to its consideration. There's also the problem of where to carry them.

Many of us with propane tanks are already at capacity for tongue weight, and limited as to interior space...which space even if available would have to be sealed and vented to prevent fumes from leaking into the living space.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:42 PM   #5

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
If you do not have solar then 2x6 is best bang for the the $$$. If you have solar, one single 12v is adequate, maybe group 29 or 31 with more capacity than group 24. This can save weight and you will have a spare battery for your tow, if needed.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:57 PM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Herschel I dont know why but I suspect your going to get a whole lot of different opinions on here

If you havent seen it The 12volt side of Life address the issues/differences.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:00 PM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
There's been plenty of discussion of 6v golf cart type batteries on rv.net that you could read. I'm not up on the pros and cons myself, not something I was ever interested in doing, but plenty of folks have done it and are happy with their DC capacity.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:48 PM   #8

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
When I went looking I was planning on two 6VDC golf cart batteries. Costco sold their 225 AH golf cart batteries for $130. The group 24 12VDC 95 AH batteries were $70 each. Two cost me $10 more then one 6V. I just parallel them. I get 190 AH, only 35 less then the golf cart batteries. If I need a spare battery for the tug, I still have one for the trailer. I also carry a 33 AH booster battery pack, with a 700W inverter, from Canadian Tire. The slightly smaller one is on sale now for $140
Motomaster Eliminator 800A Powerbox | Canadian Tire
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:55 PM   #9

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
The RV Battery Charging Puzzle « HandyBob's Blog

This article is a pretty good read written by a full timer with solar.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:15 AM   #10

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
IF (Big IF) you are going to be doing a lot of boondocking, two 6 volt golf cart batteries can be a good idea if only because they are designed for many, many recharge cycles and are less prone to damage when abused. But they are very expensive as well as very heavy.

Best brands??? Check with your local golf course and ask what brands they use and/or avoid. In these batteries there are often brands that you have never heard of in our usual applications.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:29 AM   #11

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
As Jim said, with a solar panel it doesn't seem to be too important which battery you have. As a result the best investment may be something like an 80 watt panel.

We considered adding a second battery but have not because of the solar panel we added. On days when the battery needs a boost we also have the ability to charge it from the tow.

As to the best battery, we used 2 Trojan 105 batteries. When we sold our motorhome they were 14 years old and still working well even after being fully discharges by accident a couple of times. They are not inexpensive and do require the addition of distilled water a couple of times a year but 14 years and still going strong is a wonderful testament.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:30 PM   #12

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
All of my camping is boon docking.
I have gone weeks with no hookups with a 50W panel and a group 29 deep cycle battery.
Two years ago in late September I toured Yellowstone and the surrounding country.
I'm a wimp I like to be warm so my furnace was running every night.
I have LEDS for lighting.
I don't think there's a tree less than 100' tall in Yellowstone so my almost 2 weeks there was all filtered sunlight with two days of solid hard rain and I never had a problem.
I considered 2 six volt batterys when I went solar and gave up my Honda generator.
I tried it with the group 29 deep cycle and have never run out of power.
Saved me a lot of money.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:56 PM   #13

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
All lead acid batteries are a series of 2V cells.
A 6V battery has 3 cells in about the same space as the 6 cells in a 12V battery. Thicker plates make for more capacity.(thus the weight)
I use a Series 29 deep cylce 12V battery(not suitable for the tow vehicle). I have a lot of accessories, including water pumps and an Inverter to run a television and DVD . We charge off the tow vehicle when moving and use power at campgrounds, but we have boondocked for as many as 4 days without concern for power.
Once I Topped of my old smaller 24 series battery after 4 days boondocking at a race track just for good measure. 20 minutes idling with jumper cables from my truck.
Of all the accessories which draw power, the furnace fan seems to be the biggest hog.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:08 PM   #14

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Of all the accessories which draw power, the furnace fan seems to be the biggest hog.
Sure is- followed by the water pump. That's why I don't use/have either one.
My battery is for lights-only and after leaving home is charged only by the tug ( I rarely camp with hookups) I think the longest the battery's lasted between charges has been 7 or 8 days of drycamping- and it probably only died then because I'm an incurable read-into-the-night type!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:11 PM   #15

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita
Registry
Thank you thank you very much . Alot to think on ,now im leaning to solar w/12v
Old 11-24-2012, 01:12 PM   #16

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMA & Pachyderm Posse View Post
Thank you thank you very much . Alot to think on ,now im leaning to solar w/12v

If you are trying to keep down weight, silicon definitely weighs less than lead.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:19 PM   #17

Before a loooong discussion is started.

Recharging your rigs battery with jumper cables is a lot more efficient than the charging line method. "Most" charging lines, due to wire size and length, may limit recharge rates to about 5-8 amps, where-as a direct connection with a set of heavy jumper cables may allow upwards of 50 amps to flow.

We proved this just yesterday with a GMC Yukon. Through the 7 pin plug we could only move 5.6 amps at 1200 RPM. With a very heavy jumper cable connected battery to battery it jumped up to 36 amps at the same RPM.

Old 11-24-2012, 02:27 PM   #18

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Before a loooong discussion is started.

Recharging your rigs battery with jumper cables is a lot more efficient than the charging line method. "Most" charging lines, due to wire size and length, may limit recharge rates to about 5-8 amps, where-as a direct connection with a set of heavy jumper cables may allow upwards of 50 amps to flow.

We proved this just yesterday with a GMC Yukon. Through the 7 pin plug we could only move 5.6 amps at 1200 RPM. With a very heavy jumper cable connected battery to battery it jumped up to 36 amps at the same RPM.
50 Amp charge rate??? Boom...
Old 11-24-2012, 02:31 PM   #19

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
"Most" charging lines, due to wire size and length, may limit recharge rates to about 5-8 amps, where-as a direct connection with a set of heavy jumper cables may allow upwards of 50 amps to flow.

When I wired my tug / trailer I used 4 gauge wire which I bought new, but cheaply from a metal recycler.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:40 PM   #20

RE: Boom

Yep, if you try to charge for very long at 50 amps you can quickly warp plates and damage a battery. However, most alternators would start cutting back within a few minutes as the battery voltage rises.

In my example, after 30 minutes the 36 amp current (from a 12.25 starting voltage) was down to less than 15 amps.

BTW: I use a Craftsman ac/dc amp clamp multimeter for measurements.