Opinions on renting out Scamp and popup - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-26-2008, 08:27 PM   #1

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp
Looking for advice on renting out my Scamp this summer in Minnesota. We have a seasonal site with a 32' Jayco, but also, I like to take side trips, which is why I purchased my 1988 Scamp (love it!). It's in very good condition with only a few minor fixes this Spring. I'm thinking of offering my Scamp and I have a 1976 primitive Bethany Citation for weekend camping at our seasonal campground for a fee. They let us keep the units there. Would I be crazy to try to make side cash by renting out my campers this summer? I looked at the forum for ideas on what to charge. We seasonal at www.kampdels.com in Waterville, MN just outside of Faribault. There are tons of things to do, however, the nightly rate is spendy and there are fees for activities. We would set up and remove for the renters, so really no hassle for them. Good idea, bad idea?
brendaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:36 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe

We hope it works out for you... It's something we would never do ..

Hardly anyone, takes care of a rental trailer like it was their own. There are of course exceptions. Would they, for instance, come in with muddy shoes after a rain, clean the stove after they cook and something boils over, ... how about the toilet issue.. Yuk. Then would you really feel comfortable using the trailer yourself, and would it be available when you need it.

If this is a trailer that you would like to have as a hobby - cleaning, fixing up and putting money into - then it might be an idea for you.
CarolnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 05:36 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
There are landlord types and non-landlord types. I'm a non. I have a tough time lending tools, let alone a fairly good size asset. I'm not selfish, I'll help people anyway I can when they need it. Figure out what you'd make each day you've renting your trailer. Would you make enough money to settle the anxiety? It would not be enough for me.

Best of luck with your decision. If you decide to go ahead, please keep us informed about how it worked out.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 09:30 AM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
before you do anything like this... check with your insurance company.

their rules may just eliminate any ideas you have.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 10:03 AM   #5

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
I wouldnt rent my trailer out either...... Just a rule of thumb with me... I had people ask when I had my 13ft but said no but thanks for the inquiry..
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 06:54 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
I purchased my 1988 Scamp [b](love it!). It's in very good condition with only a few minor fixes this Spring.

I have a 1976 primitive Bethany Citation for weekend camping at our seasonal campground for a fee. They let us keep the units there.

Would I be crazy to try to make side cash by renting out my campers this summer?

We would set up and remove for the renters, so really no hassle for them. [b]Good idea, bad idea?
If you love your Scamp, how would you feel about any damage to it? If you could just shrug it off as a cost of doing business, No matter how serious the damage is, you might continue to consider this course of action. If you would be heartbroken by such an inevitability, [b]STOP NOW and think no further about this.

Doing all of the delivery and set-up might mitigate some of this risk, but not all of it.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:19 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler 1984
Do me once, don't do me twice.
We let family members use our, at the time brand new, pop-up and it came back broken. {"There's something wrong with the crank system"} They tried to lower it without taking out the locking pins and then tried to force it. This broke one of the pulleys which I had to repair. No one has ever said SORRY! After that NO ONE else EVER gets to borrow the trailer. Our kids included.
But I do have a tent that you can use. Anytime.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:18 AM   #8

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: I am of three minds!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:53 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Trailer: Escape Manufacturer
I have had a lot of experience renting out fiberglass trailers new and old. I started renting out older fiberglass trailers as a hobby charging $200.00 per week and took a $300.00 cash deposit. If the units came back clean and undamaged....they got their cash back. I was clear and upfront about them being in the same shape (clean) coming back as they were when they picked up the unit. Sometimes the customer would pay upfront $50.00 to bring the unit back unclean and others would loose some of their deposit. Overall.....I would say 90% of the time, people wanted their cash back. Not once did a unit come back damaged. The trailers were fully insured and only worth $3000.00. The nice thing about trailers with a fiberglass interior....easy to maintain and tough.

If you plan to rent out your unit, you have to look at the trailer as a money maker that you may have to repair or replace the odd part here and there. It is no longer your baby!

When I was operating this business 'Economy Travel Trailer Rentals', it was a hobby but I had 4 trailers which were typically fully booked solid for 3 months. I would park 2 and the other 2 would pick up about another 1-2 months.

Having said all that....we have only 1 demo/rental 17' Escape. We don't advertise it other than on the website as we want to reserve it only for those interested in purchasing.

Reace
Reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 04:18 PM   #10

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
I have had a lot of experience renting out fiberglass trailers new and old. I started renting out older fiberglass trailers as a hobby charging $200.00 per week and took a $300.00 cash deposit. If the units came back clean and undamaged....they got their cash back. I was clear and upfront about them being in the same shape (clean) coming back as they were when they picked up the unit. Sometimes the customer would pay upfront $50.00 to bring the unit back unclean and others would loose some of their deposit. Overall.....I would say 90% of the time, people wanted their cash back. Not once did a unit come back damaged. The trailers were fully insured and only worth $3000.00. The nice thing about trailers with a fiberglass interior....easy to maintain and tough.

If you plan to rent out your unit, you have to look at the trailer as a money maker that you may have to repair or replace the odd part here and there. It is no longer your baby!

When I was operating this business 'Economy Travel Trailer Rentals', it was a hobby but I had 4 trailers which were typically fully booked solid for 3 months. I would park 2 and the other 2 would pick up about another 1-2 months.

Having said all that....we have only 1 demo/rental 17' Escape. We don't advertise it other than on the website as we want to reserve it only for those interested in purchasing.

Reace
4 trailers [at] $200, that's $800 a week. Not too bad for a hobby. But you don't really do it any more... not enough time, I bet. Yet it sounds like if you did need some extra income and had the time, you found this to be a pretty good way to go, right?

But like someone else pointed out, the trailers can't be "your" trailer any more or you'd take it too personally when stuff gets damaged. One would have to have a "I'm in business" mindset that looks at the trailers as mere business assets, and allot something for annual repair expense. But overall, with some advertising it could be a nice little business. Buy some decent used trailers and rent them out. Make back the initial investment in just a few months, maybe. If they are rented out all the time, add more and grow the business. Eventually hire someone to do the checking in & out, the repairs, the cleaning, etc. One could live off this business, depending on the location and resulting demand.

I guess I've been self employed too long... you can see how I think!

Mike
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:53 AM   #11
Commercial Member

Trailer: Escape Manufacturer
Initially the thought was we would always have a trailer available to go camping but the business side of me tended to take over. I would forgo our plans if someone wanted to rent the unit for the same period. When we did use one, it was a pain to load and completely unload and clean every time. It is nice when it is yours that you can leave the essentials loaded and not be in such a time crunch to get it cleaned. I see it so often when people return the units that they almost look more worn out when the return than when they left!

Definitely a worthwhile business venture if you can do it out of your home.....just don't get into renting out pop-up tent trailers. Too much time involved showing how they work and too much room for error when they forget!

Reace
Reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:24 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp
Thank you everyone for your thoughts, what I need to think about and explore with my insurance company. The camper does sit more than it's used, so it seemed like a good idea at first. No, I wouldn't consider renting out my weekend trailer either, so I can see all of your points. I'll write again if we do decide to try it. Maybe a Kool-aid stand would be a better idea for some extra $$.
brendaross is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp