Opinions on Tent - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-22-2014, 11:04 PM   #15

Name: Paul
Trailer: '07 Scamp 16' SD
Wisconsin
It was setup time that pushed me into spending the money on the clam. When you have a 1 yr old who doesn't want to stay in the truck anymore after being in it for hours, and a campsite full of mosquitoes. That 1 min setup time makes all the difference.

As to the structural stability of the top. I'm sure an engineer could set me straight, but I'm fairly sure the pressure differential actually pushes the top of the tent out in a good wind, not in. Those upper supports are beefy, and under a fair bit of tension.

As to the size, attached you'll find the collapsed unit in the bottom of our scamp, it is 6ft long collapsed. The length us essentially the radius of the top, as those spars do not collapse beyond the center pivot. Huge downside, but the setup time got me

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1400817798.468950.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	71391Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1400817816.617234.jpg
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	71392Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1400817834.984002.jpg
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	71393

Old 05-22-2014, 11:23 PM   #16

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Paul, thanks. It was the sides, not the top, that I was mostly wondering about in wind. But I suppose the wind wouldn't have much to push on, unless the optional panels were attached.

6 feet, wow. I did notice that the Coleman is a bit less than 4.5' long when folded, and only 17 lbs shipping weight... vs 34 lbs listed weight for the Clam. There were some videos showing setup for the Coleman and it went up in about a minute and a half. They did not show the takedown, though. I do think the Clam's shape will be better if a picnic table is situated inside. Overall I think I would be happy with either one, but money is an object for us.

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 01:45 PM   #17

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Clam 1 Huck 0

I got the clam yesterday and decided to set it up today. Took it out of the bag, laid it out, found the top, and started popping the sides. After about 6 sides, I realized the tent was inside out. An hour and a half later, I still haven't been able to undo the sides and get it right side out.

It's like a Rubik's cube.

The problem is it collapses on itself and you lose track of where you are. Time to see if I can find a neighbor to help.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:54 PM   #18

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
But.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennco View Post
It was setup time that pushed me into spending the money on the clam. ...snip... That 1 min setup time makes all the difference.

Sorry- couldn't help myself!

Have you seen this video? It's setup demofor the 1660 you mentioned in the threadstarter.

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 02:08 PM   #19

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
But.....
Sorry- couldn't help myself!

Have you seen this video? It's setup demofor the 1660 you mentioned in the threadstarter.
They neglected to say the lettering should be up. I did exactly what they said to do but the lettering was down.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:57 PM   #20

Name: Barb
Trailer: Casita Spirit
Ohio
We have the Pah Ha Que and love it! Goes up fairly quick if you know what you are doing, so practice at hone before you leave. It held up to very high winds, when we had to close our awning.we generally put our awning our and then position the Pah Ha Que close enough to sort of iverlap awnings.
pwdohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:09 PM   #21

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Send a message via Skype™ to Night Sailor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Hmm, I guess the Coleman is pretty darn easy, too! And the 10x10 is under $70 right now at Amazon. I ordered one just now. Can't beat the price. We're headed to Michigan to help care for my MIL, who just had heart surgery, and from what I hear the mosquitos are terrible up there this spring. Now we can spend some time sitting outdoors without getting eaten alive.

BTW, I did spot the Clam for $229 at LandMSupply.com . It appeals to me quite a bit, but not enough to spring for 3 times the price of the Coleman. Oh well.
I use a fan to keep the mosquitos away. They are weak fliers and a fan makes their nuisance blow away.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:07 AM   #22

Virginia
Tent 2
Huck 0

Had to remove the rods from 4 side panels to get the tent right side out again. Starting putting the rods back in and was abut half done when a gust of wind flipped the tent and most of the rods popped out as I hadn't screwed everything back down yet.

May try again today if the thunder storms hold off.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:36 PM   #23

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
Tent 2
Huck 0

Had to remove the rods from 4 side panels to get the tent right side out again. Starting putting the rods back in and was abut half done when a gust of wind flipped the tent and most of the rods popped out as I hadn't screwed everything back down yet.

May try again today if the thunder storms hold off.

Good Luck on getting it right and on thunder storms holding off.

Happy Camping
Old 05-27-2014, 09:02 PM   #24

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Musgrave View Post
Good Luck on getting it right and on thunder storms holding off.

Happy Camping
Thanks. It's Tent 2 Huck 1 today.

I got all but 1 rod back in place. The last rod had the head break off, so I repaired it. Will replace it tomorrow and see if it holds. If it does, should be smooth sailing.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:49 AM   #25

Virginia
Huck 3 Tent 2

I'm 6' and I can walk to the edge without my head rubbing on the roof. At the widest, it is about 10'. I'm going to leave it up and see how it handles a thunderstorm. I've got it tied to 2 fence posts in case the stakes pull out.

I ordered 3 side panels for keeping out sun/rain, auger tent stakes, kiwi water repellant, and a 9x12 floor mat.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:11 PM   #26

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Very good Huck! Glad you got it up and are conducting a test,let us know how it turns out.

Happy Camping
Old 06-03-2014, 05:18 PM   #27

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Less than 2 minutes to shelter

This screen tent is really cool. We saw it set up at L&M Fleet in Bemidji. It looked stronger than I expected. Went back today to purchase one.

Warehouse person said they get 10 in at the beginning of the week and by Friday they are out.

It was slick to put up, really fast. Fred is 5'8. I am only 5'2". I would need a stool or hooked stick to bring the top back down if I had to pack it up.

will bring it to June Egg Harbor, WI gathering. Sure wish I had seen this before we purchased the Paha Que.

Now if we all chime in after using this thing in real conditions.....

Nancy
Old 06-06-2014, 10:42 PM   #28

Name: Paul
Trailer: '07 Scamp 16' SD
Wisconsin
We've never had issues with ours in a storm. It comes with stakes for every corner, and guy out points in case things get really bad. Like I said earlier, really the only negative downside I've seen is the collapsed size