Opinions on Tent - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-25-2014, 05:09 PM   #21

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Hmm, I guess the Coleman is pretty darn easy, too! And the 10x10 is under $70 right now at Amazon. I ordered one just now. Can't beat the price. We're headed to Michigan to help care for my MIL, who just had heart surgery, and from what I hear the mosquitos are terrible up there this spring. Now we can spend some time sitting outdoors without getting eaten alive.

BTW, I did spot the Clam for $229 at LandMSupply.com . It appeals to me quite a bit, but not enough to spring for 3 times the price of the Coleman. Oh well.
I use a fan to keep the mosquitos away. They are weak fliers and a fan makes their nuisance blow away.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:07 AM   #22

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Tent 2
Huck 0

Had to remove the rods from 4 side panels to get the tent right side out again. Starting putting the rods back in and was abut half done when a gust of wind flipped the tent and most of the rods popped out as I hadn't screwed everything back down yet.

May try again today if the thunder storms hold off.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:36 PM   #23

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
Tent 2
Huck 0

Had to remove the rods from 4 side panels to get the tent right side out again. Starting putting the rods back in and was abut half done when a gust of wind flipped the tent and most of the rods popped out as I hadn't screwed everything back down yet.

May try again today if the thunder storms hold off.

Good Luck on getting it right and on thunder storms holding off.

Happy Camping
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:02 PM   #24

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Musgrave View Post
Good Luck on getting it right and on thunder storms holding off.

Happy Camping
Thanks. It's Tent 2 Huck 1 today.

I got all but 1 rod back in place. The last rod had the head break off, so I repaired it. Will replace it tomorrow and see if it holds. If it does, should be smooth sailing.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:49 AM   #25

Virginia
Huck 3 Tent 2

I'm 6' and I can walk to the edge without my head rubbing on the roof. At the widest, it is about 10'. I'm going to leave it up and see how it handles a thunderstorm. I've got it tied to 2 fence posts in case the stakes pull out.

I ordered 3 side panels for keeping out sun/rain, auger tent stakes, kiwi water repellant, and a 9x12 floor mat.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:11 PM   #26

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Very good Huck! Glad you got it up and are conducting a test,let us know how it turns out.

Happy Camping
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:18 PM   #27

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Less than 2 minutes to shelter

This screen tent is really cool. We saw it set up at L&M Fleet in Bemidji. It looked stronger than I expected. Went back today to purchase one.

Warehouse person said they get 10 in at the beginning of the week and by Friday they are out.

It was slick to put up, really fast. Fred is 5'8. I am only 5'2". I would need a stool or hooked stick to bring the top back down if I had to pack it up.

will bring it to June Egg Harbor, WI gathering. Sure wish I had seen this before we purchased the Paha Que.

Now if we all chime in after using this thing in real conditions.....

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:42 PM   #28

Name: Paul
Trailer: '07 Scamp 16' SD
Wisconsin
We've never had issues with ours in a storm. It comes with stakes for every corner, and guy out points in case things get really bad. Like I said earlier, really the only negative downside I've seen is the collapsed size
glennco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:09 PM   #29

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
We recently got a CLAM Mag 1660 Screen Room/Tent and 2 wind panel kits from Amazon and we like it. With the 2 wind panel kits (3 panels/kit), we can turn the screen room into a fully enclosed tent.

In tent mode, it could be used for sleeping at night. With just a few panels in place, you could use a lightweight folding partition to create a small private porta-potti spot or ???

I bought extra stakes for the grommets on the ground and, with the wind panels in place, I would probably use the provided ropes and stakes to attach to the black-tab pullouts to make it stable in the wind.

We love the 1-person quick setup (even at night ... no loose poles to lose or instructions to read). In the bag, it is pretty tall/long and it weighs about the same (34 lbs) as our old Quest E-Z-UP (that took 2-people and a lot more time for screen/panel attachment, etc. As mentioned, there is only 1 door (if that matters to anyone).

The quick take-down is great if you are breaking camp and realize that a rain storm is coming in.

We have only used it a few times, but it has been nice for shade and to keep the bugs away.

Another demo video is here:

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:05 AM   #30

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I also have the Clam 1660, and I love it. When I bought it before our trip to the northern Nevada opal mining area (in the Virgin Valley off SR 140) my wife pulled the old "And did we really need to get that thing?"

Well, if there are any biting insects anywhere out there, they will find her. All during that 10 day desert trip, I received many glowing accolades for my sheer genius in purchasing this remarkably indispensable screen room. She now won't go anywhere without it.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 06:29 PM   #31

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Look what Princess Auto is selling:
6-Sided Portable Popup Screen Tent | Princess Auto

Looks kinda similar.
Attached Thumbnails
Clipboard01.jpg  
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote