Opinions on towing with a turbo - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2018, 01:05 PM   #1

Name: Don
Trailer: Shopping
Alabama
Opinions on towing with a turbo

I'm thinking of getting Frontier 6cyl (260HP) (possibly the long bed crew cab) from the coming scamp 19.

I see Ford has the 4cyl Ranger coming soon which has more (270) HP.

Thoughts on towing with the 4cyl turbo assuming I can get the hitch mounted in the truck bed?
dcs02d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 01:33 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
I have towed for the last 9 years with the v-6 ecoboost turbo. I don't consider a turbo to be a problem. The non turbo v-6 has about 260 HP and I've heard its adequate. I also have a friend who's towed a 19 with the old normally aspirated Ranger for years. I have sedan so it won't work with the 19, but from a horsepower perspective 260-270 hp seems adequate.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 02:40 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
IMHO, low to cruise RPM torque is more important than peak high RPM horsepower when towing. my 2002 ford 7.3 diesel only has like 250HP which isn't much from a 7.3L V8, however it has 505 ft-lbs at like 1600 rpm, which is about where it sits when it is going down the road at 55-60 in top gear.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 04:03 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
The tow rating on the new Ranger will have a tow rating of more than twice the weight of your Scamp19.

The HP on the 2.3 Ecoboost is not yet official but I see unofficial leaked numbers as low as 270HP and 310FP of torque. Certainly more than adequate for the 7500 pound tow rating now predicted.

The same motor in the Mustang makes 310HP with 350FP of torque. If the numbers above for the Ranger are correct then it is tuned for reliability for truck work.
The torque is at or about 3000RPM.

I know I'm hoping that they will quit goofing around and start making them.

This is not simply a Turbo... It is Ecoboost with direct injection, twin scroll turbo and the most advanced fuel management system ever devised.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 11:30 PM   #5

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Wink to turbo or not?

FWIW we picked a 2wd Frontier double cab, long bed V6 last winter to tow our new Casita Liberty...aprox 270 hp & non-turbo. No problemo hauling a full load of gear plus the TT for 6000+ miles so far. I guess I'm old fashioned, but I pefer displacement over turbos.
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:12 AM   #6

Name: loisg
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Minnesota
I learned a lesson on going after market on hitch. I have a Ford Escape 4cyl. ecoboost. It was rated to tow 3500. That is if you have the factory installed tow package. Since I went after market the tow capacity dropped to 2000. Also, you are unable to add trans cooler after market hence the drop in tow capacity. Factory tow package comes with cooler. Newer engines and transmissions are more complicated than older. Wish I would have known before I perchased.
ScamperFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:22 AM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScamperFun View Post
I learned a lesson on going after market on hitch. I have a Ford Escape 4cyl. ecoboost. It was rated to tow 3500. That is if you have the factory installed tow package. Since I went after market the tow capacity dropped to 2000. Also, you are unable to add trans cooler after market hence the drop in tow capacity. Factory tow package comes with cooler. Newer engines and transmissions are more complicated than older. Wish I would have known before I perchased.
I think you have a lot less to be concerned about than you have been told.
Of course you could add a cooler if you choose if that is your only concern.
Heck, if there is one supplied with the factory tow package, don't forget, your Ford dealer has a parts department.
Old 10-06-2018, 01:02 PM   #8

Name: loisg
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Minnesota
I did try to have one installed and was told by a couple of mechanics that it was not possible. Also Ford. One other thing is it may void the warrenty of engine and transmission if they see you added a 7pin plug. Just saying what I was told.
ScamperFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 01:23 PM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: !977 KingsleyGMC, 1968 Bailey Mikado
Nova Scotia
Quote:

There isn't a transmission made that you can't put a cooler on. GET AWAY from the GD dealer and find yourself a respectable little speed shop or a privately owned transmission shop.
panhead_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 01:35 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
I did try to have one installed and was told by a couple of mechanics that it was not possible. Also Ford. One other thing is it may void the warrenty of engine and transmission if they see you added a 7pin plug. Just saying what I was told.
I have the full Ford tow package installed by me. The warranty is intact. The tow package did not include a transmission cooler and Ford warned against it. I did of course add an RV plug and a brake controller as well as a charge line for my trailer battery.
It is against federal law to void factory warranties due to aftermarket equipment unless it can be proven that the damage was directly caused by the change. The proper installation of a 7-plug can in no way be a direct cause of drivetrain damage.

You must have the 2.0LEcoboost. Do you have the 6spd?
You certainly won't harm that car towing a Scamp13.

Get the (7-plug)... brakes are important.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:11 AM   #11

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
I tow with a Lexus nx200t, which is a 2.0 liter 4 cylinder turbo engine rated for 235hp at 4800rpm and 258 ftlbs at 1650rpm. The car tows my 2013 front bunk scamp great, even up steep mountain passes. My average mpg so far on all of my trips has been 19-20mpg. The maximum mpg i have gotten without the camper is about 32mpg.
Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:48 PM   #12

Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcs02d View Post
I'm thinking of getting Frontier 6cyl (260HP) (possibly the long bed crew cab) from the coming scamp 19.

I see Ford has the 4cyl Ranger coming soon which has more (270) HP.

Thoughts on towing with the 4cyl turbo assuming I can get the hitch mounted in the truck bed?
Forget the Ford Ranger with a 4 banger and turbo as any 4 banger with, or without a turbo. Turbo's are expensive to work on and the power band can be somewhat erratic.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:54 PM   #13

IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
Forget the Ford Ranger with a 4 banger and turbo as any 4 banger with, or without a turbo. Turbo's are expensive to work on and the power band can be somewhat erratic.

trainman
I disagree, there are a few more parts to a turbo engine, but the new engines aren't like the old and are much more reliable. They have a smooth power delivery from as little as 1500 rpm and are very efficient for towing. Lag is almost eliminated with dual scroll turbos and cast in exhaust manifolds, especially under a towing load. Like it or not this is where engines are heading to mrrt efficiency and emmisions targets. 48v mild hybrid turbo like what dodge offers is my bet on the future.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:49 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:

trainman
And to think I've been called a Luddite!

Old 10-10-2018, 07:01 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
virtually ALL diesels are turbos, too. non-turbo diesels are particularly gutless.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:35 AM   #16

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gompka View Post
I disagree, there are a few more parts to a turbo engine, but the new engines aren't like the old and are much more reliable. They have a smooth power delivery from as little as 1500 rpm and are very efficient for towing. Lag is almost eliminated with dual scroll turbos and cast in exhaust manifolds, especially under a towing load. Like it or not this is where engines are heading to mrrt efficiency and emmisions targets. 48v mild hybrid turbo like what dodge offers is my bet on the future.
I've never been a person to purchase under powered vehicles for towing, I'd go with a Ram Hemi or Diesel 3/4 ton pickup and be done with it. Each of us have our own ideas on towing and with what vehicle and engine combinations that work for us. I respect others thoughts on this, but for myself I like a little overkill and safety factor in my vehicles. My personal feeling is the EPA is approving vehicle for sale then emissions are being met.

trainman
Old 10-11-2018, 06:52 AM   #17

IL
Quote:
I've never been a person to purchase under powered vehicles for towing, I'd go with a Ram Hemi or Diesel 3/4 ton pickup and be done with it. Each of us have our own ideas on towing and with what vehicle and engine combinations that work for us. I respect others thoughts on this, but for myself I like a little overkill and safety factor in my vehicles. My personal feeling is the EPA is approving vehicle for sale then emissions are being met.

trainman
I wouldn't call a 4 cylinder car under powered just because its not a truck, my lexus nx as well as the ford escape are rated to tow based on the sae
J2807 test, which is the same one that trucks are rated by.

On the flip side I would call a 3/4 ton truck grossly over kill for towing a scamp 13. I live in Chicago and it doesn't make sense for me to own a truck. I wouldn't be able to park it on the street, the tag prices are triple on trucks, and I have no use for something that big.

I'm just throwing around opinions, I don't think either of us is right or wrong, but answering the posters question about towing with a 4 cylinder I can say it tows fine, stable, gets good mileage, and has plenty of get up. Easily getting up 12 degree 10,000 ft mountain passes and getting way past 60mph very quickly if you let let. I wouldn't call that underpowered at all.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:11 AM   #18

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Hmmm... Ranger 2.3L I-4 Ecoboost, 10 speed automatic (270hp/310ft-lb), versus Frontier 4.0L V6, 5-speed automatic (261hp/281ft-lb). About as different as two mid-sized trucks can get.

I'm sure the Ranger will be more fun to drive when unhitched, and give better fuel economy as well. You're taking a chance with a high-tech powertrain, but Ford is not exactly a newcomer to gas turbos in light-duty trucks. The 2.7L and 3.5L EB have lots of North American towing experience in the F-150, and the Ranger 2.3L EB has been offered in other markets for several years. Dealer lots are typically filled with up-level trims during the roll-out year, loaded down with fancy electronics and prices to match.

The Frontier is simple and old-school with a good reliability track record. You shouldn't have too much trouble finding a base trim if that suits you. It hasn't had a major redesign since 2004. Fuel economy won't be great when not towing, but as you can probably buy one for well under $30K, you'll have plenty left to buy gas. But hurry- Nissan has been threatening a major redesign for several years.

Because they are so different, I see this as more of a personal preference. As I'm typing this on an iPhone4, you can probably guess which way I'd lean. [emoji6]
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:37 AM   #19

Texas
One thing about this forum is that many who post here are owners on 13' model trailers and their trailer pulling needs are less then others with larger trailers. Many like myself have other trailers to pull beside a travel trailer, which requires a larger towing vehicle, so what works for one may not work for others, thus causing a discussion over two different needs.

trainman
Old 10-12-2018, 07:18 AM   #20

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
And to think I've been called a Luddite!

Thanks for making me giggle this morning.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote