Opinions Wanted - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2007, 03:36 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hello. I've just registered, after lurking around for a while. Seeems like a nice site, so I'll give it a shot. I have a question.

I've sold my full size T.T., and would like an FRV. (It's just the two of us now, and we want something smaller and easier to tow/park.) I can't quite decide between the Casita and the Scamp.

I would love to hear from "actual owners" about the pros/cons of these two brands. Are there any important differences? I'm guessing that either one will be just fine, but I'm curious to hear what you think about the quality and comfort of these trailers.
Russell Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 04:05 PM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Good question. We have all asked that question who have bought a new FGRVs.

I happen to have bought a Casita because of the floor plan and size - 17’ Liberty. It can be set up with a Double bed, King size bed, or Twin beds. Also, it seems to have more space in the kitchen. The down side is it does not have a permanent dinette set up.

If I were shopping today, I would definitely consider the Escape, which is very well made.

Scamp and Escape offer a fifth wheel which many people like.

Definitely get the bathroom option what ever you do.

ALL of the manufacturers will give you names of people in your area that will show you their trailer inside. That is really the only way to decide what is best for you.

Good Luck,
Mike
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 04:42 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
From my perspective there's 5 brands to choose from. Scamp, Casita, Trillium. (Ford, Chevy, Plymouth not necessarily in that order) Then there's Escape and BigFoot. (Lincoln, Cadillac, again not necessarily in that order).

The comparison with autos is cost and amenities. How well they'll all hold up, Scamp has been around the longest and still has some very early units in use.

Between Scamp and Casita I chose the Scamp for a couple of reasons. I bought a 13' without toilet/shower. If I was buying a 16' with bath, I would probably still consider Scamp first. Why? The wall covering in the Scamp is a marine fabric, no mildew, mold, or rot. The Casita wall covering is carpeting, I'm not sure what grade and how well it would hold up to moisture, but I don't to find out the hard way either.

Since I bought the 13' the inside height was a consideration. The Scamp had about 3" more inside height than the 13' Casita.

With that all are good trailers, and if you're used to a larger trailer and don't mind the mess and fuss with systems (toilets, shower, demand water, etc.) then those things will have to enter into your decision.

You'll get lots of opinions here.
I suggest you compile the information, determine what might or might not be important to you. Call Scamp and Casita to look at trailers in your area.

Have a great adventure both in find and using the perfect trailer for you.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:53 PM   #4

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
I have owned both the 16 ft Scamp and now the 16 ft Casita. I like the way the Casita is made. I think they are made sturdier and have more options as standard. Others here may not feel that way, but that is my opinion, and why I traded to a Casita. I think I would like the 17 ft Casita with the twin bed mode if I had a bigger rig to pull with. I am happy with my 16 ft, but I do think the twin bed would be nice if I were buying new.

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 08:14 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
You certainly aren't the first person to ask this Ford vs. Chevy question. Check out these topics from the archives:
casita vs scamp ???

Differences - Scamp and Casita, Question about how the two are different

Frankly, it doesn't matter what anyone else likes... it's what will fit your wants/needs best that counts. After all, we all love what we have... or we'd have something else!

Start making a list, start with the all mighty dollar... how much are you willing to spend, what size bed do you HAVE to HAVE, etc. etc. What is the limit of your tug? Then find the trailer that will fit those requirements. Also, include any shipping expenses. It's not cheap to have trailers shipped from the factory. Personally, I'd purchase something close by... than ship, then spend the difference in "upgrades." Your mileage may vary.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 06:40 AM   #6

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
And, it makes a difference whether you're buying new or used. New, you can buy whatever suits your fancy and have it equipped the way you want it. If you have a brand preference, do it! If you're buying used OTOH, buy the closest used trailer that is in the condition you want with the amenities you're looking for in the price range you want. Each brand is a little different, but the key phrase is a little. All of them are more similar than different, and they'll all do a very nice job housing you while you camp or travel.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 08:56 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Thank you all for the advice.

One concern that I have is the ceiling height of the Casitas. I am considering a 16' model, and the Casita has a lower ceiling. I am just under 6 feet tall.

I suppose that I won't be spending much time standing in my camper, except to shower. Still, would like to hear from others if this has been an issue for taller folks.
Russell Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 01:14 PM   #8

Trailer: 2001 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
You will be standing in your Casita and you want to be comfortable doing it. The 16 ft. has a 6 foot ceiling, the 17 ft. has a 6'3" ceiling. We have the 17 foot Spirit Deluxe and wouldn't trade it for the world. We were very fortunate to find a used 2001 four years ago and have put well over 10,000 miles on it. We find it incredibly easy to tow, very spacious for two (we keep the rear dinette made up as a double bed at all times and eat at the side dinette). It is beautifully made and very comfortable. We spend 5 -6 weeks on the road every winter and don't find it confining at all. Remember that with your awning down, you have an outside spot for relaxing as well. Good luck with whichever you choose!!! Fiberglass is the way to go!!!
Lucie Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 02:36 PM   #9

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Russell
I own a 16' Casita SD and the inside height on mine is 5"10 to the ceiling. I went with the 16'Casita because of the rear section being raised higher for a bad dip i have in my driveway and i wanted the lighter tongue weigh and overall gross weight being lighter.... (almost wish i went for the casita patriot 13' deluxe)I am extremely happy with my 16' trailer even though i have a larger tow vehicle that will pull most any FG trailer.
The 17' Casita SD gives you an inside height of 6'2" and a wider bed.....my 16' is 44"wide bed.
The 17'Casita is really a nice trailer and i especially like the liberty deluxe because of the king size bed.
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 08:31 PM   #10

Trailer: 1991 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
One of the design differences that led me to seek out a Casita over a Scamp was the floor. Scamps have an exposed plywood floor on the bottom; Casita carries the fiberglass shell all the way around, covering the bottom surface.

I *think* this is a big advantage in preventing moisture intrusion and thus floor rot from the bottom up.

Of course, an internal leak can't drain out, either, so 6 of one, half dozen of another?
Lee Hillsgrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 09:36 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
One of the design differences that led me to seek out a Casita over a Scamp was the floor. Scamps have an exposed plywood floor on the bottom; Casita carries the fiberglass shell all the way around, covering the bottom surface.

I *think* this is a big advantage in preventing moisture intrusion and thus floor rot from the bottom up.

Of course, an internal leak can't drain out, either, so 6 of one, half dozen of another?

That was the other reason for choosing Scamp. The bottom of the floor is open so it can dry. Same idea as foundation vents in house.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:08 AM   #12

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:

Lee, I've never seen one rot from the "bottom up". "Rot" is from moisture sitting on the surface for a long period, and penetratrating it. As long as a fiberglassed floor retains it's integrity, it works well to encapsulate the plywood. Unfortunately when it looses it's integrity (from flexing at a poorly sealed seam in the wheel well, for example) then it encapsulates the water WITH the plywood as the water can't drain out and the plywood can't dry. Then you've got a real mess. We've had several members who've reported that circumstance, although I believe it's been primarily with Burros.

As for height, I'm 6'5" tall. All of the 16' trailers are pretty similar in interior head room. The fact is it's not a big deal. Other than being in the shower, and doing dishes or cooking, you don't stand up all that much anyway. Bed length is the big dimension for me.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:34 PM   #13

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
Hello. I've just registered, after lurking around for a while. Seeems like a nice site, so I'll give it a shot. I have a question.

I've sold my full size T.T., and would like an FRV. (It's just the two of us now, and we want something smaller and easier to tow/park.) I can't quite decide between the Casita and the Scamp.

I would love to hear from "actual owners" about the pros/cons of these two brands. Are there any important differences? I'm guessing that either one will be just fine, but I'm curious to hear what you think about the quality and comfort of these trailers.
I never heard of Casita. I wanted a Scamp. They burned down. So I bought a Casita.

Ron
ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:28 PM   #14

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab
See if there's a rally somewhere's near--nice to be able to see lots of different trailers. The one thing I noticed was that there was more storage in the Casita than in the Scamp, at least that's how it looked to me. I bought a Casita Spirit and LOVE IT!
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:39 PM   #15

Trailer: 2003 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
No regrets right Ron?

I wasn't even ready to buy a trailer yet, but had been lurking here for about a month when Morgan contacted me and told me about his Casita. It was configured EXACTLY like I would have bought new and was local (4hours) - so after some debate we decided to pull it together and get one early.

No regrets - great unit - thank Morgan!

This is a 17 SD - I'm 6' and with shoes on my head just clears. Has the high lift axle and bigger fresh water tank. That along with A/C/Heat/Bath/Shower were required. The floor plan is perfect as it is just Sue and I so we have the bed made up and a place to do other things. If needed (IE: Grandkid camps with us), we can make the dinette into a bed. I tested this bed, and while narrow, it is long enough for even me to sleep on.....night in the doghouse anyone?

Anyway, we are happy and looking forward to using this model more. We moved faster than I would have liked, but feel we made the right decision for us.

Hope you do the same!

-Kyle
Quote:
I never heard of Casita. I wanted a Scamp. They burned down. So I bought a Casita.
Ron
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:19 AM   #16

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp
I wanted the side dinette and the extra headroom with the Scamp. I wanted the height because my fella is an extra large and tends to squish me if not given enough room to manuver. I wanted the side dinette because I have to work on the road sometimes and because I tend to sleep lightly, and want to get up and read/write or watch a movie in the middle of the night.

I love the 16' Scamp I choose. My advice is to think carefully about how you live and how you want to use the trailer.

Minor differences in storage and so forth can be overcome. Choose from among the well built trailers, but then pick whichever of those have the right floor plan and features for how you live and what you do.
Laura K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:49 AM   #17

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
We looked at Scamps and Casitas - Liked the fit and finish of the Casita. There was a Freedom model Casita not far from us. We stepped through the door and sat down in the Captain's chairs - that was IT no regrets, but do look at some in person.

Good luck and Happy Trails!

Dave and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote