Ordering a 16' Scamp, what are the must have options? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2013, 08:11 PM   #21

Name: Chris
Trailer: Scamp 16
New Hampshire
Wow, lots of great ideas in those photos. I wish I had the patience to rebuild a vintage one. I think I told Wayne at Scamp on the phone to add all the extra cabinets. The brochure came in today but it doesn't quite cover all the options with detailed photos like I was expecting. I'll have to call again and go line by line.
chuyler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #22

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Chris there are photos of most of the option items on Scamps on line parts store. I am with the others re the curtains. Scamps curtains are very thin and the hardware the use is very cheap and flimsy. Easier to add nicer rods to the overhead bins and sew up some curtains - curtains are easy to do.

The screen door on mine is the one thing those who dont have tend to drool over. Cant tell you how many times photos have been taken of how it is built and measurements taken. Dont forget the extra cutlery drawer if the layout you are getting allows for one.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #23

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
More 12v outlets

Our Deluxe 19 had just one 12 volt outlet when we got it. I've since added 4 more and I'm toying with adding one more. Needless to say, I'd be asking the factory for more 12 volt outlets. On the other hand, in nearly 3 years I've never used the exterior 110 v outlet. Even if we spent more time parks with services, I'm not sure how often we'd use it. It really does depend on your personal style.
www.justfinding.blogspot.com
John & BJ S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #24

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Something else to NOT get, is that Fugly Stinky Slinky Tube mounted on the front of the trailer. That's FOUR fewer holes... and counting. AND, there are better ways to mount/store a sewer hose that that... GAD.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:44 AM   #25

Name: Chris
New Hampshire
Where do you put the hose instead?
chuyler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:55 AM   #26

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I use a PVC pipe with screw on end caps mounted under the trailers front frame (PO did that) but a lot of people use the square PVC fence posted mounted under the rear bumper as well.

There are a number of threads on the topic - one is Storing your Sewer hose.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:08 AM   #27

Name: Norm and Ginny
Florida
Chris,
When I think of our modifications the ones I feel are most important are storage space, electrical outlets (12VDC and 110VAC), Solar Panels and organized storage space.

WE find one Propane tank to be enough.

Though we don't have a fantastic fan it seems everyone loves theirs, as well a screen door.

One of our most used mods is the rear bumper clothes line, great for drying towels and swim suits (not available from Scamp).

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:21 AM   #28

Name: Harry
Trailer: 7/24/13...ordered a 2014 13 ft Scamp w/Shower/Toilet
Alabama
Chris...we ordered ours this week from Allen. Check out my thread as it has great advice on many of the options. One thing I learned is there is a big difference of opinion between those who like rural camping off the grid vs those who stay at full service parks, like my wife and I will. I haven't checked prices up north but most full service parks down here are in the $20-$30 range with about $25 the norm. Works for me, at 61 I like my conveniences. My ruffing it days are behind me. Many of the options, like the rear receiver hitch, were cheap so why not get it. We like to bike too. If I have a problem with sway ill use it with my metal tailgate 'carry all'. Tell your salesmen how you will use the camper so he can guide you. Mine advised me on things not to spend my money on, or upgrade and those things to get. One thing I'm going to add which he said I didn't need was the $165 for the two extra side cabinets. I am going to call him this morning and add them per everyone's advice. Best of luck...H
Hman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:32 AM   #29

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hman66 View Post
Chris...we ordered ours this week from Allen. Check out my thread as it One thing I'm going to add which he said I didn't need was the $165 for the two extra side cabinets. I am going to call him this morning and add them per everyone's advice. Best of luck...H
GOOD decision. While those cabinets shouldn't carry heavy stuff, you ALWAYS need places to stuff socks, TP, etc.!!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 01:51 PM   #30

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp 16' Oak Deluxe Layout A - "Kiwi"
Maryland
Hi All,
We ordered an in stock Scamp 16' Deluxe in Oak plus options and will have it delivered in a couple of weeks. Our first Camper Trailer! Maybe should have researched more! I read the posts about recommending NOT getting curtains and the sewage tube up front, but too late. Does the tube drain or have air vents on the end, or does it just hold the moisture and odor? Does anyone not have problems with this and the short hose? I read about the options to hang a fence post in the back as well as store in a bin in our truck. Is the hose sometimes too short for at a site and/or the dumping stations? I found a video on another form for larger RVs recommending a multi-sized connector for the hookup or dumping station that would accommodate different size and threaded or not threaded connections. Do you recommend this? It also recommend end caps for the hose to contain what's in it when stowed. Any comments about the hose length, connections and storage? And while on this subject, do you special RV toilet paper and where do you get it? We live near Hagerstown, MD, not near any CamperWorld type stores.
mgellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:27 PM   #31

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp 16' Oak Deluxe Layout A - "Kiwi"
Maryland
Oh I just found one of the videos I had watched that includes the discussion on the connectors, etc. Sewer Hose - Dumping | Scamp Owners International
mgellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:40 AM   #32

Name: CW
Trailer: Scamp 16 Standard (Coming May 1st!)
New Jersey
I ordered my 16' Standard with all options for camping in RV parks and boondocking. If you realize after you've got the trailer that you would have chosen more accessories, adding them after market is always inconvenient and expensive. I ordered an extra 10gallon fresh water tank as well. It steals away storage space but I felt I needed it.
Another option I will get (when I can afford it) is a briefcase solar outfit. Looking forward to getting out there in May 2015!
CharleyWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:01 PM   #33

Trailer: Casita
Registry
If you want a microwave get your own. You can likely find an equally good one for under $75.
Ask for a couple mounting brackets when you pick up your unit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp