Ordering a 16' Scamp, what are the must have options? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2013, 10:29 PM   #1

Name: Chris
Trailer: Scamp 16
New Hampshire
Ordering a 16' Scamp, what are the must have options?

Just curious what others like about their Scamps and if there are specific options or add-ons I should ask for. I already put a deposit down but construction won't start until the end of May so I have some time to decide.
chuyler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:42 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Have you ever been camping?
Do you imagine you'll be spending all or most of your camping time at RV resorts with full hookups or in the back woods boondocking?
Options from Scamp are many and the places you intend on using the Scamp determine the best options for you.
My guess is that from this group you'll get lots of things like Microwave Oven, Air Conditioner, bath with shower, etc.etc. Which is fine if you intend to spend the money for RV resorts.
If you intend to boondock get rid of all 120 volt stuff. Reduce all battery operated stuff as much as possible.

We boondock and spend an average of about $7.00 per night. Those that use RV Parks (resorts) spend $30.00 to $40.00 per night.

Your choice.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:19 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
We rarely camp in an RV park, and mostly are off the grid for free. We use solar and propane. We have NO 110 volt except for a battery charger, which we use when storing the Scamp in our garage. We do use the screen door, but rarely use the awning as wind is usually always a problem.
Have fun.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:38 AM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Florida
Chris, WE're located in NH. If you'd like to see ours, drop me a PM and I'll send our phone number and address.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:13 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
If I was ordering new, I'd get all the overhead cabinets, a screen door, plugs everywhere inside! And one outside at the rear area to plug in stuff while outside. I WOULDN'T get curtains! (four holes through the shell for every window... there are better options without all those extra holes). Also, if you're ordering a trailer with a front window get the gravel guard.

Exciting time for you! Good luck in your decision
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:15 AM   #6

Trailer: 2008 16 ft Scamp
We like the porch light and exterior outlet. Screen door if it's not standard.

I'd skip the hitch in the back for a bike rack, we had so much sway when we put bikes on it. The awning is ok, no strong feelings one way or the other.

Which layout did you get?
RachelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:37 AM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuyler1 View Post
Just curious what others like about their Scamps and if there are specific options or add-ons I should ask for. I already put a deposit down but construction won't start until the end of May so I have some time to decide.
If you are married it really doesn't matter in most cases what you want but what she wants . I have several items in my 16 ft Scamp that I could remove and live without but that ain't going to happen . Secondly We bought our Scamp used and it does not have a furnace . This Spring? we were thinking of selling the Scamp. We met with 2 prospective buyers and the first question we got was "Where's the furnace or Who would buy a Scamp without a furnace living in Minnesota" The sales went downhill from there. (NO AC is the same problem in the south) If you plan or think you may sell or upgrade in the future I would be leery of ordering a bare bones trailer.. If you ask Jim C at Scamp he will tell you what are the most popular options that are sold on new Scamps I like the bigger 4.0 cu ft refrigerator myself.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:12 AM   #8

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I think you should shoot for MSA or multi-situational adaptability. Sort of belt and suspenders, one from column Boondocks and one from column Creature Comfort. Most trailers are set up this way, for example, propane and batt for when you leave the electric grid behind, 120 juice for batt charging and those hearth side luxuries (AC) when you return. I don't know that "loaded/all accessory groups" is the way to go nor would I advocate the Spartan barebones approach. Only you can decide if you're a glamper or a desert rat and whether to take your bike. Your blank slate; your chalk.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:41 AM   #9

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
We bought our EggCamper as all electric. We have since had a furnace and propane cooktop installed. The all electric was ok in spring, summer, and fall but could not use the trailer this winter until we got several days south of Michigan. One of the issues was that no heat was available while on the road. All day without heat made our memory foam mattress like a block of concrete.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:05 AM   #10

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
We bought our EggCamper as all electric. We have since had a furnace and propane cooktop installed. The all electric was ok in spring, summer, and fall but could not use the trailer this winter until we got several days south of Michigan. One of the issues was that no heat was available while on the road. All day without heat made our memory foam mattress like a block of concrete.

Are you telling us you run your furnace while towing?
Old 04-11-2013, 11:19 AM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Screen Door, 3 way Fridge, Fantastic Fan, Exterior Electrical outlet, awning, furnace and a hot water heater, awning, gravel guard for front window and all the overheads bins they offer for the layout you want.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:35 AM   #12

Trailer: 2008 16 ft Scamp
The fan is a must. We skipped the A/C and heater and instead bought a small space heater with a thermostat for about $20 on clearance. We have a hot water heater too and it's handy for doing dishes.
RachelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:39 AM   #13

New Hampshire
Thanks everyone for all the responses. As for what we plan to do with it, it will be mixed use. I am an eagle scout that has taken a 15 year hiatus from camping. I used to tent camp once a month so I don't necessarily "need" everything, but Steve hit a very valid point. It's what SHE wants.

We like to hike and bike. We will use it for weekend outings to Northern New England, park it and use it as a base camp for day hikes. I enjoy XC mountain biking and my wife is starting to learn so we will be making trips to some of the resort areas too...and I hope in the future when her skills improve that we can travel the country and try new places to bike and hike. So there will be times that we are off the grid.

We also like auto racing and plan to use it for one of the NASCAR races at NHMS and maybe catch a race down south. I meet a group of friends every year at Limerock Park. We've always grabbed a hotel but I'd rather stay on site. I have family spread out over the east coast so we will likely make trips between NH and FL. There will be times (probably less often) that we have full hookups.

So as of right now the furnace and A/C are on the "yes" list. I'd rather have them and not use them than be stuck without. I see this as a long term investment so I don't want to end up wanting a new trailer because I didn't think I'd need A/C. We are ordering the floor plan with the front bathroom. I'm 6'3" so any extra space in that department will be helpful and I can barely stand in the side bathroom. Not sure about the microwave. We do eat a lot of frozen meals at home but if we didn't have one it would force us to actually cook...and that's not a bad thing. The larger fridge sounds like a good idea too and would come in handy on longer trips.

As for the awning, I was going to say yes. I see lots of photos where people are using them. There must be plenty of times where wind isn't an issue.

I was also going to say yes to the rear hitch. However that's not the first time this week I've read something about the bikes causing sway. I can put them in the bed of the truck instead. Anyone use the hitch for anything else, perhaps one of those platforms to store coolers and supplies? If not, I might as well scratch that option.

So anyway, if there was an option you said no to, then regretted it. I'd love to know! I don't mind a little extra weight if it will ensure we are happy with the TT in the long run.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:52 AM   #14

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:

So as of right now the furnace and A/C are on the "yes" list. I'd rather have them and not use them than be stuck without. I see this as a long term investment so I don't want to end up wanting a new trailer because I didn't think I'd need A/C. .
Even though you are ordering A/C you should seriously consider getting the Fantastic Fan as well if flexibility is what you are after. A/C will drain a battery dead fast but a Fantastic Fan takes little power to run, so its great for those times when you dont have power to plug into.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:00 PM   #15

Name: George
Trailer: 16' Scamp SD, TV: Tacoma 4cyl
Northern Wisconsin
We picked up our new 16' Scamp just this week. We ordered everything except the microwave and the receiver for the bike rack, and now I wish I had got the receiver. We've camped for many years but this is a whole new experience with the trailer and all.I wanted to make sure we had all our bases covered as far as what kind of camping we did. In the past we've tented it in fairly remote places but as age creeps up on us I can see maybe an occasional full hookup campground in our future too. Good luck, I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you order.
George Nagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:35 PM   #16

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Nagel View Post
..........We ordered everything except the microwave and the receiver for the bike rack, and now I wish I had got the receiver. ......
Amazon.com: Scamp Hitch Receiver: Sports & Outdoors
Old 04-11-2013, 04:43 PM   #17

Name: George
Trailer: 16' Scamp SD, TV: Tacoma 4cyl
Northern Wisconsin
Thank you sir.
George Nagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:58 PM   #18

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
I echo what Donna said - don't get the curtains as the amount of extra holes through the shell is ridiculous. You can add curtains or blinds later without the exterior holes.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #19

New Hampshire
How do you add curtains later? Is there something that sticks to the carpeted sides?

Re: Fan - we're adding the fan option definitely!
Old 04-11-2013, 08:03 PM   #20

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
How do you add curtains later?
If you're getting the overhead cabinets, check out this picture from Robert Johans rebuild. It's the second and third picture. We've found out the curtain rod stuff is from Ikea!

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post350910
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp