Oregon and Washington State - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-26-2006, 01:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
We are attending the Oregon gathering at Bullards Beach and then a slow retreat back to Florida and need help from all you folks who live in this area on places to go and see and their locations for a period of about 10 days in the first 2 or 3 states From there we will be heading to Idaho, Montana, and the Dakota's, any info on these states will be of great value to our trip, Thanks, Bill
Old 04-26-2006, 02:20 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I suggest that you go up the coast to Newport and visit the Oregon Aquarium. Then on to Lincoln City then inland to McMinville. McMinville is the home of the Spruce Goose. A nice stop. Then head for Portland and I-84 into the Columbia River Gorge. If you're doing this mid-week take the old scenic highway and stop at the waterfalls. You'll end up back on I-84. I don't remember exactly where to get off I-84, but take the exit that puts you back on the old scenic highway, sometime after Hood River. Stop at the Discovery Center just before The Dalles. Lots of stuff about Lewis and Clark.

That's a start.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:56 PM   #3

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
If you get around the Rapid city area, stay at Spearfish KOA and take rt 14. Spearfish Canyon Road ( on the south end of town, you gotta look for it or you'll miss it) down to 385 and meander to Custer State Park. It's our favorite ride in that area. Canyon bluffs, runs along a small fast river, pullovers all along, just beautiful.
You can hit Deadwood and Lead from 14. Hill city too. Just about everything that 's around there.
The KOA by Mt. Rushmore is usually very crowded and it's huge, Horseback riding lots of kids, flies, etc. We prefer Spearfish KOA, quiet little town nice and campground.

Has a Wall Mart, if that tells you what size the town is.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 05:19 PM   #4

Trailer: 1994 Lil Bigfoot and 1967 Traveleze Royal Traveler
As long as you're in the neighbourhood, consider visiting Old Fort Vancouver, just across the bridge from Portland on I-5. http://www.nps.gov/fova/home.htm It's a fun thing to see.

If you're beer people, you can't go wrong having dinner at anyplace named McMenamin's while you're near Portland. http://www.mcmenamins.com/ Of course, then you'll have to stop driving for the night.

If you're still in Portland during a weekend, there's the Saturday Market. http://www.saturdaymarket.org/

And of course my personal favorite of all the Portland Landmarks, Powell's City of Books. http://www.powellbooks.com/

Safe travels.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:24 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
And of course my personal favorite of all the Portland Landmarks, Powell's City of Books. http://www.powellbooks.com/

Safe travels.
Powell's Book Store? Don't go there unless you like books. Don't go there if you like books and don't have lots of room to carry books. For everybody else you can get lots and lots and lots more great books at Powell's. (pssst the prices are good too.)
Old 04-26-2006, 05:49 PM   #6

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
In the Black Hills, I prefer Sheridan Lake CG over any commercial KOA. If you cross SoDak, a stop at Wall Drug is obligatory. Favorite CG along that route is American Creek CG on the Missouri River just north of Chamberlain SoDak , with a stop at the remarkable Lewis & Clark exhibit just off the freeway.
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 05:59 PM   #7

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
Nancy has posted a thread called Oregon Attractions on the way to & from the Gathering under the heading of the Oregon Gathering (in Rallies). It's filled with links to websites throughout the state that might help you with your trip planning.

In addition, if you're coming through the southern Oregon coast you may want to take a jet boat ride up the Rogue River from Gold Beach. I haven't done this myself, but I know lots of folks love it. Or, if you are in the Grants Pass area, you can do some whitewater river rafting down the Rogue River, either as an overnight trip through the Wild and Scenic section of the river, or as a day trip paddling the upper section. Its a gorgeous area, but it will be hot in July. But a little heat is nothing new to you Floridians I guess!

Jeanne
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 07:38 PM   #8

Registry
Bill,

Prehistoric Gardens has great photo opportunities in the parking lot... It's located south of Port Orford on the southern Oregon coast.

Jeanne

Click image for larger version

Name:	TRexRanger.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	2501
Old 04-27-2006, 06:52 AM   #9

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
this is great folks, keep em coming, your the best

Jeanne and Steve, I had copied Nancy's list and I thank her for the time she put into that, it'll be a great help, we are making a notebook of the places we want to see and ther's a lot of them, thanks to all for the suggestions but don't stop
Old 04-27-2006, 10:22 AM   #10

Registry
Cape Arago State Park, located just south of Charleston, is our favorite place on the Oregon coast for marine mammal watching. This was the scene last November, but I'm unsure what types of seals and sea lions will be there in July.

Name:	capearago1.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	2513

If you're running fans, you may want to stop and see the Steve Prefontaine Gallery, located upstairs in the Coos Art Museum, in Coos Bay. Steve was born and raised in Coos Bay and went on to become one of our nation's top long distance runners ever. Inside the small room are many of the medals he won and other memorabilia, and is a nice heartfelt memorial to a local hero.

Name:	steveprefontaine.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	2516
Attached Thumbnails
capearago2.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2006, 07:50 AM   #11

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Quote:
Don't go there unless you like books. Don't go there if you like books and don't have lots of room to carry books.
I stayed kitty corner to Powells last week. I could see it from my window.

I had to shut the curtains, and when out, walk backwards on the street when going by.. eyes closed, clutching my wallet tightly, telling myself *must not go in, must not go in, must not go in*

BTW, Yes, I will always vote for a Gorge trip. I have found an RV park right at the mouth in Troutdale. It's called Sandy Riverfront RV Resort I have not stayed here, but I lived in the area for many many (too many) years.

It's a typical buldgy RV Park, but in a great locale, hidden from view of the town, right on the Sandy River, and is a great place for leaving your trailer, being able to drive the old hiway and not worry about tugging a chunk of fiberglass around some of those tight and frightening curves.

Do "The Loop", follow the Columbia River Scenic Hiway" guide signs. These will take you past the waterfall areas, (Multnomah Falls and the lodge are a must see) back onto the 84 and into Hood River Oregon. From Hood River, travel south up into the Mount Hood National Forest, and to Hiway 26, go back west and detour onto Timberline Road, which takes you to Timberline Lodge. This place is as spectacular a mountain location as you'll ever see without donning climbing gear and Alpaccas.

Hiway 26 will take you back down into Gresham, and that will lead you right back to Troutdale and where your snug home is parked. From there you can decide your direction! This is a LONG daytrip, but one well worth the effort! There are many forest service campgrounds along the way, check them out as potential places to stay if you want to continue east later on, or just as a quiet ancient forest place to stay and relax.

For dinner, go to Tads Chicken and Dumplings on the old hiway, just a mile or two down from the opposite side of the river and the RV Park. (Yes, have the Dumplings!!!!) It sits right on the river as well, and the smells of nature and the chicken are a special combo only to be had IN THIS PLACE ONLY. (Trust me)
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 09:10 AM   #12

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Jackie
Washington:

Mt. St. Helens
Mt. Rainer
Mt. Baker
Olympic National Park
San Juan Islands
Lake Chelan
Sun Lakes/Dry Falls and Coulee Dam area

Idaho:
Wallace - old mining town
Lake Coeur D'Alene
Priest Lake

If you are in northern Washington, and have a day or two to spare - hop on over to Victoria/Vancouver Island from either Port Angeles or Anacortes.

Have a great trip! See you in Bandon...
Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 08:16 PM   #13

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe
Registry
Ferry travel in the San Juan Islands can be pricey for RV's unless you are in a combination less than 7'6" high. This is why I have a 13' Scamp with 13" wheels.

Check in advance at the "Washington State Ferries" web site for schedule and prices.

Please feel free to contact me with questions about the San Juans. I live there!
RonMayo is offline   Reply With Quote