Organizing - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2018, 01:39 PM   #1

Name: Brenda
Trailer: 2018 Parkliner
Georgia
Lightbulb Organizing

Im not sure where this thread belongs. We just bought a Parkliner. I have not slept since friday trying to figure out how to organize 'stuff' . Seems we will take out and put up all the time .. LOL .. Any helpful tips is much appreciated .
BrendaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:23 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Boerne, Texas
Hey Brenda, we keep trailer “stuff” in the trailer all the time. We have a small set of dishes, cookware, tools, some toiletries and other supplies that are loaded permanently. When we travel, we load clothes and food and off we go.
2016 Oliver Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Carol and Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:30 PM   #3

Georgia
Thanks Guys. BTW Oliver is my dream camper. No doubt y’all love it!,,,
Old 06-11-2018, 05:36 PM   #4

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Don't overthink it. It is certainly not worth losing sleep over

Overthinking will be a waste of time because you will try it one way and then realize that another way will work best for you. Just pack what you think you need then when you are camping make notes about what you should have brought with you and what you should have left home.

That first trip is called a "shakedown" cruise.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:50 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Exactly. Take a stab and revise until it works smoothly. For you. We all use our trailers differently, so what works for someone else may not work for you. Camp close enough to civilization so that if you forget anything essential, you can go get it.

Two general principles:
(1) Things tend to move around more than you'd expect, so use dividers and bins to keep things confined.

(2) Stow heavy stuff low and near the axle or forward, light stuff high and rearward. Balance left and right.

Most of all- keep your sense of humor. When the toilet paper comes loose and completely unrolls inside the trailer, post a photo on Facebook with the caption "Halloween gremlins strike in June!" The things that go wrong make the best stories later!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:32 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Most of all- keep your sense of humor. When the toilet paper comes loose and completely unrolls inside the trailer, post a photo on Facebook with the caption "Halloween gremlins strike in June!" The things that go wrong make the best stories later!

Or just squeeze the roll so that the core is somewhat oval in shape, so that it doesn't unroll. Same with paper towels.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:52 PM   #7

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
TP never unrolls in an Escape. There’s a “thing” that it goes in to protect it in the wet bath. Yard dales are inexpensive places to equip a kitchen in a trailer.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 10:12 PM   #8

Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Ontario
I am just on my "shakedown" trip. Due to family illness it turned out to be about 2300 kms longer than I had first planned but I learned some lessons very quickly.
By the second day I was beginning to hate the decor items that I had thought would make the trailer fun and homey. By day 4 I had ditched the fluffy duvet and bought a practical sleeping bag. After a tiring day of driving, I did not have the energy to move useless things around or the patience for clutter.
When I reached my destination I held an auction for my granddaughters using play money. They delightedly bid on the throw pillows, fluffy rugs, colour coordinated blanket and even some clothes. And I swore that unless an item is functional and has is own storage space, it will have no place in my trailer. So my suggestion is to be practical but also flexible enough to pare down as you go and as you learn your camping style.
Patricia D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 10:16 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Old 06-12-2018, 12:27 AM   #10

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia D. View Post
I am just on my "shakedown" trip. Due to family illness it turned out to be about 2300 kms longer than I had first planned but I learned some lessons very quickly.
By the second day I was beginning to hate the decor items that I had thought would make the trailer fun and homey. By day 4 I had ditched the fluffy duvet and bought a practical sleeping bag. After a tiring day of driving, I did not have the energy to move useless things around or the patience for clutter.
When I reached my destination I held an auction for my granddaughters using play money. They delightedly bid on the throw pillows, fluffy rugs, colour coordinated blanket and even some clothes. And I swore that unless an item is functional and has is own storage space, it will have no place in my trailer. So my suggestion is to be practical but also flexible enough to pare down as you go and as you learn your camping style.
The nesting instinct is very strong when one first gets a new home be it on wheels or on a foundation. I don't know if it is possible to fight those urges.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 02:45 AM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia D. View Post
Patricia, this has to be the BEST post I've ever seen to explain the fluff that works at home but not in a TT .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:08 AM   #12

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
+10 When space is limited, using space for non-essential or worse, non-usable items is a bad idea. Start with what is useful first. Then if you want to add a touch here or there, great!

I like to say: "there is a Walmart everywhere". So don't sweat forgetting items. You can pick them up on the trip. After a trip, its good to go through the trailer and look at stuff you didn't use. Ask the question: "why did I bring it and should I bring it next time?"

We leave most of our trailer packed all the time. Makes it much easier to take that last minute trip!

We often take longer trips (4 to 5 weeks). We only pack one week's worth of clothing, and make doing laundry a weekly task.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:16 AM   #13

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I have had my Scamp 33 months now... I have never packed the same way twice. Every trip things are organized differently. Part of the reason is that the equipment that choose to take varies at times, another is that I have made some changes in the camper that changed the available storage, and will be making another soon.

But the largest reason is that I am tweaking the storage all the time. Seeing what works better. Eventually I will have the final camper layout and then will settle on the organizational plan for most of the gear.

So don't lose any sleep about it... figuring out what works best for you is a process and will take time. It also part of the fun of camper ownership.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:23 AM   #14

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Boerne, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaG View Post
Thanks Guys. BTW Oliver is my dream camper. No doubt y’all love it!,,,
Yes, we do love our Oliver! In the beginning we carried more stuff than we needed - we might need this or we might need that. No more “might needs”. We either need it or we don’t. Less stuff has a calming effect for us, keep it simple!
2016 Oliver Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Carol and Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:35 AM   #15

Name: Tammie
Trailer: ParkLiner
Alabama
Hi Brenda!
Congratulations on your ParkLiner! We've had ours for 4 years, and think its the best thing we ever did.
You have alot of storage options in your ParkLiner, and here's how we've utilized it all-
Starting in the galley then clockwise around the camper:
1. Cabinet over microwave- coffee pot and kettle
2. Tall cabinet- food and spices
3. Drawer- silverware, scissors and small tools
4. Lower cabinet- nested pots and pans
5 and 6- my clothes
7. Rear cabinet- blankets and pillows
8 and 9- husband's clothes
10. Books and games
11. Over dinette- paper plates, tupperware
12. Over dinette- Corelle dishes, coffee mugs
13. Lower storage left of dinette- small tools, extra fuses, folding tire wrench
14. Space behind dinette seat, left of bathroom- with stacking Rubbermaid drawers. We store things like a hotplate, outdoor tablecloth, extra flashlights, and the drawers also support the back of the dinette cushion.
15. Bathroom cabinet- towels, toiletries, first aid kit, extra TP
16. Tall closet- with hanging shoe organizer. Stores paper towels, aluminum foil, ziplocs, rain ponchos, flashlights, even shoes
17. Over door shelf- hats and one more flashlight!
Hope this gives you some ideas.
Enjoy your new ParkLiner!
Tammie
Tammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:45 AM   #16

Alabama
I forgot all the space under the bed- that's where our outdoor rug rides, along with a camp stove and Igloo cooler. That's also where we keep the trash can, a small plastic one with a step-on lid.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:53 AM   #17

Alabama
But wait! There's more! I forgot the lower cabinet in the bathroom. Our freshwater hose rides there, and a plastic shoebox for cleaning supplies like laundry detergent, spray cleaner, and holding tank chemicals. Our dirty laundry bag goes in there too.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:06 PM   #18

Georgia
keep em coming!!! Thanks to all the tips... and Tammie I have printed out your storage list. Ya'll have helped me sooooo much... No more sleepless night for this girl .. gonna GO WITH THE FLOW..
Old 06-12-2018, 01:13 PM   #19

Alabama
One more spot I forgot! The flip-down panel panel between the sink and refrigerator accesses a space where we slid a cosmetics organizer for toothbrushes, toothpaste, etc. And there is one more cabinet just under the bed to the left that I don't even know what's in there! That's 21 storage areas that I can think of... for now.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:05 PM   #20

Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
The nesting instinct is very strong when one first gets a new home be it on wheels or on a foundation. I don't know if it is possible to fight those urges.
This is true, it is hard to fight that urge. I do have enough homey touches like a small bulletin board with photos, a cozy blanket and a small pillow that went with me in my VW van all over Canada. I essentially pared away the unnecessary things that were obstacles to my making a meal and getting to my comfy bed after a long day.
Patricia D. is offline   Reply With Quote