Oriental characters - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2014, 06:38 AM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot
Newfoundland & Labrador
Question Oriental characters

Just below the User CP - Register - Registry - FAQ line and below the list of the most recent topics on the right hand side of the page I am looking at a lot of oriental characters. Do we advertise in different languages around the world? Just curious. Scouter Dave.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:35 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
If you have the advertising set to show, I would not doubt that there could be a Chinese advertiser, though I can't imagine it is money well spent in this market. I believe it is Google that controls the advertising. Not sure here, but on other sites, what you see is directly related to searches and topics that you peruse.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:27 AM   #3

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
If you have the advertising set to show, I would not doubt that there could be a Chinese advertiser, though I can't imagine it is money well spent in this market. I believe it is Google that controls the advertising. Not sure here, but on other sites, what you see is directly related to searches and topics that you peruse.
You have to be carefull, "they" are watching.<_< Don't go to/do/think/say anything you don't want Big Brother to know. By BB I mean Google, not fedgov. Although they may be one and the same. Dang maybe it is the actually the Chinese government?
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:34 AM   #4

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
You have to be carefull, "they" are watching.<_< Don't go to/do/think/say anything you don't want Big Brother to know. By BB I mean Google, not fedgov. Although they may be one and the same. Dang maybe it is the actually the Chinese government?
Hi: Timber Wolf... !!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:37 AM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter Dave View Post
Just below the User CP - Register - Registry - FAQ line and below the list of the most recent topics on the right hand side of the page I am looking at a lot of oriental characters. Do we advertise in different languages around the world? Just curious. Scouter Dave.
Have you been shopping on line for those cheap made in china LED lights again?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:21 AM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
On the main login page, I always get Alberta car dealers. I recently visited eastern Europe, and the advertisements that displayed along the borders reflected the country that I happened to be in at the time. Kinda neat, actually.

Based on that, it seems that the webpage senses the location of the IP address that you are using, and applies local advertising.

Vic
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:22 PM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot
Newfoundland & Labrador
Oriental or otherwise

Interesting comments. I recently added a Taiwanese address to my list so perhaps that triggered something. I really was just wondering about the Oriental writing.
Not to get too far of the thread or start another round...... but.....
I was in Naval Communications for 25 years and I did some temporary duty in NCTC, Corey Field, Pensacola. Any one who has knowledge of Corey will know what I am talking about. There is no security on the internet, your cell' 'phone, your Ipad or even the wireless 'phone you use in the house. They are transmitters and transmissions can be intercepted. If you use a wireless remote card reader to use your credit card to pay for a meal in a restaurant, it is a transmitter and transmissions can be intercepted.
Snowdon is telling the truth. All the Big Brothers are watching, us and each other but they are also being watched. by the general population with smart 'phones, helmet cameras etc. etc. I consider it a mixed blessing.
Just some thoughts......
Old 10-08-2014, 03:04 PM   #8

Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I had the Chinese characters that appeared on the top and side where ads usually appear. I have a new laptop and it was the first time I accessed this site on it, so I figured it was a filler of sorts until my browsing pattern was established, enabling them to market to me specifically.
Marsha D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:07 PM   #9

Trailer: Former 1978 Trillium 4500 owner (now 2010 R-pod)
Ontario
Hi Dave,

If it's any help, I noticed the same thing. I'm in Canada too.

Phil
Old 10-08-2014, 03:32 PM   #10

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
NL is now considered part of the "far east."
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote