Original or Modified - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-19-2013, 02:31 PM   #15

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
Our VT was not original when we got it. We kept it original on the outside (removing the 3 painted evergreens someone added to make it look Scamp-like), putting on new Uhaul stickers. Inside, we removed the original curtains, took out the dangerous stove hood, and put in new flooring, making it ours, but not to the extent that it would not be really hard to return it to a closer original than it was when we got it. Right now, we bought new lights for over the sink, as the original ones are driving me nuts. We also added amenities like more lights to read by, a TV-DVR combo, a microwave (although the PO already put one in it; we just replace it.), and new curtains. We kept the original curtains, and we have the original bunk bed.

We collect Uhaul memorabilia, so we carry Uhaul cups, Uhaul travel puzzles to mark where we have gone, a replacement Uhaul surge brake (We have the original hubcaps too, but our newer rims don't fit them.). We have enough clothes to dress the part too, hats, visors, shirts, and jackets. I even got Kevin Uhaul cuff links. And of course, we have the Uhaul dealer's light that people who have camped with us see when we are at rallies. And I was hinting to Kevin that if we sold our folding bikes and our larger bikes, we could make up the difference and buy matching Uhaul folding bikes from the Uhaul store.....

CindyL

Old 02-19-2013, 03:23 PM   #16

Name: Barbara
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
Not all classic cars are kept original or even used just for display. Our 55 Chev is mildly modified and driven on an almost daily basis in the summer months. To us there is no point in having these things if they cannot be used and enjoyed. I had a 65 Chevy Impala SS convertible that was very close to original. I drove it all year as my daily driver. Our Boler has been modified to suit our needs.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:11 PM   #17

Name: Steve
Trailer: Bigfoot, Trillium, Scamp 5th Wheel
Spokane Wa. and Las Vegas, Nv.
Registry
Lots and lots of great thoughtful answers. The reason I asked this question is I am finally tearing into my 1984 Scamp 19'. As I take each piece out I can't help but notice how utilitarian these things really are. The rear benches came out easy and could easily be replaced with wood built ins incorporating a full U shape and not lose a stitch of body integrity. The same couldn't be said when I removed the bottom cabinets. With them suddenly "un-stiffened" I can literally push the walls in and out, scary. I will definitely need to devise some type of bracing. My first inclination was to put all the major parts back where they came from and just do some minor updating. Now after reflecting all day I'm going to stick with the original FULL remodel idea including new custom cabinets etc.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:39 PM   #18

Name: Shirley
Trailer: '82 13' Burro
Colorado
I've had my trailer 10 years. That's a long time to stare at the interior without planning and changing and changing again. Such a small area is very inexpensive to redecorate. I would no more have the original upholstery, flooring, draperies, etc. in my trailer than I would wear those funky clothes from the early '80s. Fortunately the previous owners also made wonderful changes.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:42 PM   #19

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen b View Post
my Burro in its original form was sorta ugly, crooked, and assembled by angry drunks
I love it, so true. I'm stealing the phrase. I've been using "slapdash".
Shortly after giving interested parties a brief history on the "cool" factor of my flat top boler I break into the improvements on newer models. It's pretty obvious the assemblers weren't experienced. I'm no craftsman but I'm sure I do better.
(#183)
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:19 PM   #20

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
steve you have a wonderful opportunity to get rid of the rivet holes... fiberglass/epoxy in pieces of wood to remount the new cabinets and she will look sleeker inside and out!

deryk
Old 02-19-2013, 09:27 PM   #21

Name: Logan
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13'
Wisconsin
The perfect trailer is like the perfect truck or car- built, not bought.

I just wish I had the time and funds for my projects.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:40 PM   #22

Name: Steve
Trailer: Bigfoot, Trillium, Scamp 5th Wheel
Spokane Wa. and Las Vegas, Nv.
Registry
Deryk it seems like there are hundreds of rivets. They hold everything together.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:50 PM   #23

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I'm probably the last person who should give an OPINION, but this is mine. It's YOUR trailer, you should be comfortable and content. If you want to put a non-factory vent in the ceiling... do it, if it makes your camping experience better, etc., etc., etc.

After all these years of towing my trailer and going to MANY gatherings... I've NEVER heard anyone say "look Gladys a 1985 (??) with original (??) [whatever stuff].

It's YOURS make it comfortable and exactly the way YOU want/need. I just caution you to use professional skills and professional mods... no redneck, duct tape allowed if your expectation is to be stellar.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:53 PM   #24

Name: Fred
Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Kootenay's of BC
Registry
The only thing I like about my Boler is the basic shape. And that is all that I won't change if I feel it will improves use. But even the shape is not untouchable!!
But like collector cars if I had a mint original one that I had space to store I may keep it that way.
Fred
Old 02-19-2013, 10:25 PM   #25

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
no redneck, duct tape allowed if your expectation is to be stellar.
Well, there goes all my remodeling plans...

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:30 PM   #26

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Well, there goes all my remodeling plans...

Francesca
Red Green would be proud!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:37 PM   #27

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Red Green would be proud!
I know...he was so helpful with the remodel of the tow vehicle!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:57 PM   #28

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Interesting discussion. I kind of go back and forth on this one. For example, the woodwork in our 1987 Bigfoot is in remarkably good condition, but there's an awful lot of it and it's dark. Most of the time I kind of like the original, cozy, cabin-y look of it, but sometimes I yearn for something lighter and brighter. Should we paint all the cabinets and woodwork or not? One day I think yes, the next, no. Since it's original and in good condition maybe it would be a big mistake to go slapping paint on it. Someday we'll go to sell it and I can just imagine a prospective buyer saying "Oooh, it's a nice trailer, but it's too bad they painted over all that original woodwork."

The flooring is definitely past its prime and I really see no reason to replace it with late 80's style vinyl. We've not hesitated to update the upholstery and curtains and we've replaced the vents with new ones, etc. When and if the refrigerator or the stove go belly up we won't go looking for 80' era ones to replace them. We'd want new appliances I think. But we do want to keep the overall "almost vintage" feeling and look of the trailer. We kind of like funk and junk and don't want to make our trailer too modern in style.

I say do what makes you happy. As so many have already said, it's your trailer so make it personal and have fun.