original vs modify - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-06-2008, 10:34 AM   #15

Name: Daniel
Trailer: '74 Trillium 1300
-
Quote:
Modifications MUST be done using quality techniques and quality parts.
Very true, but often not the case, at least in the units we'd visited. For example: "new" wooden floors that warp and rot and add a lot to the weight. Punched out window to put in an AC, but the window is damaged and leaks when the AC is not in use. It might be because owners are sloppier in this neck of the woods, I'm not sure.

We've replaced the flooring, upholstery, bulbs, etc. on our own egg, and haven't had our trailer long enough to do much modifications yet. I do believe, however, that both renovations and modifications should be done using quality techniques and parts, should go hand in hand, be done in the proper sequence, preserve the essence in the long-term in order not to ruin the eggsperience for future generations if possible, i.e not add too much weight, not punch too many irreversible openings, etc. Disclaimer: I'm not saying it's how others should do it, but simply sharing my view.

Quote:
I dunno... The avacado green and burnt orange that was original in many of the early 70's eggs is pretty questionable from my perspective.

Then there's that plaid... Not my favorite either.
I don't see this as a debate, but rather a question of taste and fashion. I myself would rather appreciate the original colors restored to low-maintenance, like-new condition than look at what somebody else decided was better, and watch their paint job peeling off.

In most older eggs, though, *gasp* it's already too late, and the original colors are long gone, so this is a non-issue and, by all means, you can do whatever you want with it. Just pointing out that "original" does have some value.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:06 AM   #16

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Basically, I think we're all saying the same thing.

I guess I just see it as if the owner can't make quality modifications, there's probably no chance they'll be able to do a quality restoration. Both take time, effort and knowledge.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 11:28 AM   #17

Name: Brandy
Quote:
Basically, I think we're all saying the same thing.

I guess I just see it as if the owner can't make quality modifications, there's probably no chance they'll be able to do a quality restoration. Both take time, effort and knowledge.

Thanks guys this seemed to get a few more responses than I thought it would, universal theme sounds like do it right or not at all. Can't wait to actually see the Scamp in person as soon as the pass is clear....waiting..waiting waiting. Later Brandy
Old 02-06-2008, 12:36 PM   #18

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
My rule of thumb is to make no modification that, if it poops out, I can't go camping or have to shorten a trip.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:06 PM   #19

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
One of our first camping trips in our egg a 7 year old was visiting my 7 year old at our campsite. When he left to go back to his parents gigantic stick-built trailer he looked at me and said [b]"Dad said maybe you'll have a real RV someday." I replied, "Tell your Dad, ours is paid for."
This reminded me about an earlier discussion about Real RV's
Old 02-07-2008, 06:29 PM   #20

Trailer: 1978 13 ft Scamp
I have a spare .02, i got my REAL RV at the beginning of the camping season last year and wanted so desperatly to do something cool to it, it kept never happening, i thought i needed sooooooooo much more, but still took it camping, at first i hated it becuause it was not "me" but as it turns out, it was the best thing for me, i found out what i WANTED and NEEDED and what weighed in as most important. IM so glad i did not jump in and do this that and the other thing because it was not really what i wanted and im glad to start another year off with just the right stuff. YIPPI im soooooooooo happy for you. Use it a few times and figure out whats important, then go for it!

I have to ask, did you buy sight unseen if you have not stepped foot in it?

Do you have photos yet to drool over...

V
Old 02-07-2008, 07:09 PM   #21

Name: John
Trailer: 2006 Bigfoot 25RQ
Florida
Quote:
My rule of thumb is to make no modification that, if it poops out, I can't go camping or have to shorten a trip.
Amen!

I am planning on adding a few tie down points inside to keep my outside gear stowed propperly. I was thinking of using boat hardware. I like the way some boat hardware is recessed and folds flat which would save my shins etc...

Anybody used any boat hardware?

-John
Old 02-08-2008, 06:59 AM   #22

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Anybody used any boat hardware?

-John
If you're asking about Tie Downs, only in the bed of my 1953 truck. The floor is wood... kinda like my Scamp! I bought the recessed tie downs at True Value Hardware... and I bought the stainless steel. Work as advertised.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:05 PM   #23

Florida
I was thinking stainless steel tie downs set into the base of the couch. The flip up rings would allow for bungees during travel. Not cheap but would have a nice appearance... should last forever too. I actually have a boat but it is purely for fishing so I normally install plastic hardware. Makes me feel weird for wanting to install stainless in the camper.

My camper will be here on Wednesday so I may be jumping the gun but I already have chairs, table etc... I will be needing to secure for travel.

Sorry for the hijack - mods are good but I leave the big stuff to the pros.

-John
Old 02-08-2008, 09:09 PM   #24

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Trillium
Quote:
I was thinking stainless steel tie downs set into the base of the couch. The flip up rings would allow for bungees during travel. Not cheap but would have a nice appearance... should last forever too. I actually have a boat but it is purely for fishing so I normally install plastic hardware. Makes me feel weird for wanting to install stainless in the camper.

My camper will be here on Wednesday so I may be jumping the gun but I already have chairs, table etc... I will be needing to secure for travel.

Sorry for the hijack - mods are good but I leave the big stuff to the pros.

-John
OK, I feel like a big idiot....You want to tie down a boat to your couch? Huh?????????
Old 02-09-2008, 04:30 PM   #25

Florida
Quote:
OK, I feel like a big idiot....You want to tie down a boat to your couch? Huh?????????
If I could get the 16ft boat inside the 13ft trailer then YEAH!

I want to bungee my chairs and table to the couch. I just feel weird about wanting the nice stainless hardware for the camper and buying the el cheapo plastic hardware for the boat.

-John
Old 02-10-2008, 12:10 AM   #26

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Trillium
Quote:
If I could get the 16ft boat inside the 13ft trailer then YEAH!

I want to bungee my chairs and table to the couch. I just feel weird about wanting the nice stainless hardware for the camper and buying the el cheapo plastic hardware for the boat.

-John
OK, I'm wit you now! hee, hee I must have read your post late at night!
Old 02-11-2008, 12:44 PM   #27

Name: Per
Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft Widebody towed by Touareg TDI
Oregon
Registry
We're probably all over the map about keeping it original or not. For me, if it resembles its original state, I've missed something.

For the longest time I was under the impression that FGRV had a hit squad aimed at people like me. I tended to hide in the house and not notice the car with the darkened windows across the street. It's not paranoia when they are actually after you.

Since then I've realized the truth, and now I drill, cut, replace, and modify with a pure heart. It's so liberating.