"Oso" in my camp - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-14-2010, 12:48 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita
1:30 PM, relaxing in my Lafuma and this big boy comes walking right in to camp. I moved slow so not to spook him and grabbed my camera but it happened so fast I did not get video.

Attached Thumbnails
Trip_pics_June_14_2010_054__Small_.jpg   Trip_pics_June_14_2010_057__Small_.jpg  

Old 06-14-2010, 12:59 PM   #2

Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
Its great to see wild life when camping.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:12 PM   #3

Name: Brian
Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester/ 2012 Toyota Highlander
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Its great to see wild life when camping.
Chester:

I agree with you. We saw this little guy while camping at Haynes Point Provincial Park, Osoyoos BC. The beaver is one of Canada's national animals.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP8774_sm.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	233.4 KB
ID:	28768

Brian
Old 06-14-2010, 05:08 PM   #4

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Colorado
OP, it's obvious that that "Cattle Guard" referenced in the first photo is not doing their job. You should have a talk with their commanding officer!
Old 06-15-2010, 07:14 AM   #5

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: shane n...He probably figured..."Tourists...There goes the neighbourhood".
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
eye_spy.jpg  
Old 06-24-2010, 07:04 AM   #6

Trailer: Casita
Bear update.
Just got word that they destroyed this Bear because he had been tagged twice. His crime this time was just walking by. I am sick over the fact I showed him to the other campers and host, His blood is on my hands!. From now on I will run off predators and show them to no one!. You can see tags in both his ears.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:44 AM   #7

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
it is not your fault, Shane. It isn't the Osos fault either. But think how much WORSE you would feel if a kid was injured by it and you had not said anything. There is a track record there to make that potential real, even if remote.

I wish there was a better system. Relocation etc, but I am no wildlife behavior expert, so I have no firm suggestion.

Truly, the only fair way is for US to stay out of HIS territory, but you know that isn't going to happen.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:10 PM   #8

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Shane, your not to blame. Unfortunately the morons who are irresponsible, leading to bears coming around time after time are the ones you can put the blame on. I have lived in bear country for too many years and saw people feed them, leave garbage around that attracts them, not be responsible with their trash such as bear proofing their trash, leave dog food, bird feeders out for them to get into. I have seen it all, then they are the first to complain when the bears get out of control. I know this kind of incident shakes you, but it happens more than you care to know. I agree next time chase it off and don't let anyone know.

Our Rv Park was in the middle of bear country. We never had a bear in the park during season, because we took every step known to avoid bear and guest interaction. We had them walk thru during off season several times that I saw. But they didn't stick around because we had nothing to attract them left out. Unfortunately others don't take the same precautions to protect the bears. You did nothing wrong, it was the many before you who did.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:38 PM   #9

Name: N/A
Trailer: 1985 AND 1988 Casita Patriot Deluxe 13'ers. 10 eggs shy of a carton!
Oregon
Registry
Hey Shane!

Don't beat yourself up! You did the right thing--pointing out wildlife for others to enjoy is the point of camping. Alerting other campers of a potential hazard is just being a good neighbor. And posting your story here is helping to spread the word about habituated wildlife.

I volunteered with fish and game for a bear awareness/education program...learned a lot.
It's become known that relocation is usually futile. The relocated bears have to go through territorial wars with resident bears, or they often travel hundreds of miles to get back to their original ranges.

As they say, "A fed bear is a dead bear". Bears are attracted to bird feeders (which aren't really needed by birds outside of wintertime anyway) greasy barbecue grills, grease in fire rings, dog food dishes left outside, and of course garbage and litter.

Some campgrounds have to be shut down for an entire season because of habituation issues.

In the PNW, we keep an eye on the summer blackberry crop. If it's a bad year, bears will be a bit more invasive of developed areas. In the spring, bears eat mostly shoots and grasses (in addition to bugs, carrion, whatever) and food is more consistent for them.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:10 PM   #10

Name: John
Trailer: 16' Casita
California
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
Bear update.
Just got word that they destroyed this Bear because he had been tagged twice. His crime this time was just walking by. I am sick over the fact I showed him to the other campers and host, His blood is on my hands!. From now on I will run off predators and show them to no one!. You can see tags in both his ears.
I saw 3 bears in 2 days while camping about 18 miles from my home. I've had bears walking down the street in front of my home.
I have a friend that lives a little higher up the MT from me that cannot let her children out after dusk anymore.
A woman was attacked by a bear and nearly killed in our area about 18 months ago.
Almost 40,000 acres of bear habitat was destroyed in an unstoppable firestorm 2 years ago. One edge of the fire was within 2 miles of my home. Two Mt. lions have been killed, 4 bears were trapped, relocated and then killed because they returned.
You should not feel bad about what you did. When wild animals lose their fear of humans they become very dangerous. You may have saved someone from serious injury or death.

It's sad when any wild animal is killed.

Shane , feel bad for the bear but not what you did.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:19 PM   #11

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
I never want to see a bear around my campsite. Because it means they have learned to look for food around the sites, which means a potentially dangerous situation. Sorry this one learned bad habits and lost his fear of humans, and had to be put down. But by all means don't blame yourself. You may have saved someone from injury by calling his presence to the attention of those who needed to know.

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote