OT: new trailer, stick built - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2008, 10:13 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Off topic here, but thought it was a fun design to look at.
Company link here

Click image for larger version

Name:	rpod.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	17173

Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:37 PM   #2

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
Base model is 1,937 pounds unloaded, with a tongue weight of nearly 250 lbs! Not exactly a lightweight. It is interesting, however, how they seem to have copied the most inefficient aspects of the fiberglass eggs (rounded ceilings that limit cabinet storage) without picking up on any of the advantages! But, at least they made it colorful... (One of my best friends is currently laid off from Forest River, and the shenanigans going on within that company are pretty grim.)
Mr. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:55 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Hey but they got the bed size thing covered!
Old 12-15-2008, 07:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Base model is 1,937 pounds unloaded, with a tongue weight of nearly 250 lbs! Not exactly a lightweight. It is interesting, however, how they seem to have copied the most inefficient aspects of the fiberglass eggs (rounded ceilings that limit cabinet storage) without picking up on any of the advantages! But, at least they made it colorful... (One of my best friends is currently laid off from Forest River, and the shenanigans going on within that company are pretty grim.)
It is 1/2 the weight of an Oliver!!! And they advertise the Oliver as a lightweight, so I guess this is a Super Lightweight.
Rob M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:35 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 13 ft Trillium (USA)
Does anyone know the cost? Lloyd
lloyd cicetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 07:56 PM   #6

Trailer: 2007 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
I think T[at]B beat them to the market. They do look a lot alike.
Paul Bostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 10:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Does anyone know the cost? Lloyd
I have seen them for as little as $9K (basic) check this dealer, he has fully loaded ones for $12K
http://www.couchsrvnation.com/invent....asp?id=550506
Rob
Rob M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 06:30 PM   #8

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
The shape is pretty funky, but the specs are impressive for the 17' model; especially the tank capacities!

Quote:
Model RP-171
Unloaded Vehicle Weight 2,121 lbs.
Hitch Weight 181 lbs.
Load Capacity 1,060 lbs.
Exterior Length Without Spare Tire 18' 2"
Exterior Pod Width 6' 5"
Exterior Overall Width 8' 0"
Exterior Height 8' 8"
Exterior Height w AC 9' 2"
LP Capacity 20 lbs.
Fresh Water Capacity 36 Gal.
Grey Water Capacity 35 Gal.
Black Water Capacity 35 Gal.
Tire Size 205/75/R14
It's a practical floor plan as well, similar to the late '80s Burro 17s.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RP_171.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	17289

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 07:11 PM   #9

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
It's a cute exterior, very similar to T[at]b. Love the bright graphics. and the tip of the hat to the cool retro look.
Thanks Rob M, for the link to the interior. There, the similarity to the T[at]b ends. Totally. The T[at]b is very European and slick... great blinds, cabinets, fun upholstery, etc. This one looks like any other low priced stickbuilt inside, clunky couch included. Other than decent tankage, and more plumbing, I don't see any advantages. And doesn't look any more suited to tall people than a T[at]b. Just my opinion....
I'd love to see one in person, though. Maybe at the Tampa RV show in January. You can be sure the stick-builts will be working harder to come up with something to compete with the eggs in the coming years, but I don't believe this is it.
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:16 PM   #10

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
It's a cute exterior, very similar to T[at]b. Love the bright graphics. and the tip of the hat to the cool retro look.
Thanks Rob M, for the link to the interior. There, the similarity to the T[at]b ends. Totally. The T[at]b is very European and slick... great blinds, cabinets, fun upholstery, etc. This one looks like any other low priced stickbuilt inside, clunky couch included. Other than decent tankage, and more plumbing, I don't see any advantages. And doesn't look any more suited to tall people than a T[at]b. Just my opinion....
I'd love to see one in person, though. Maybe at the Tampa RV show in January. You can be sure the stick-builts will be working harder to come up with something to compete with the eggs in the coming years, but I don't believe this is it.
You like the Tab's upholstery?? My cat would try to cover it up!

But seriously... these R-Pods do have a privacy room with toilet and shower, it appears. The Tab lacks that. Also I don't think the Tab has any storage spaces with outside hatches, and this thing has pass through storage (which I found quite useful on my prior Rockwood trailer). Nor does the Tab have a slideout available. That can really open up the interior. This new R-Pod lacks some of the Tab's exterior cuteness IMO, but I find it an interesting concept.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 10:26 PM   #11

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Yes, I do like the interior design of the T[at]b better Fabric, window and wall treatments, etc. Its big brother, the Tada, loses some of that exterior appeal when lengthened to add the bathroom, however.
The R-pod is interesting as well. I'll be curious to see how a side slideout works on a lightweight 17 ft. trailer.... I'll look for it at the Tampa show.
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 09:55 AM   #12

After being inside a t[at]b where you can’t stand up I don’t see any comparison to it. But maybe tab has a model that you can stand up in now. Google brings up photos of people standing inside this new trailer and the roof height is tall. Looks even taller than a conventional stick built. I assume this allows more room as you walk over to the slopped ends to sit down at the table. Looking at the sloped exterior makes me wonder if it gets good gas mileage. Others have said a squared off rear end trailer creates a suction that hampers gas mileage.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 02:06 PM   #13

Name: Parker
Trailer: Escape 19
Ohio
Quote:
After being inside a t[at]b where you can’t stand up I don’t see any comparison to it.
I really like the T[at]Bs, having come from a teardrop, but the interior height is what finally pushed us to the Scamp. That, and the fun-per-$ factor, which I think is higher for the eggs. I think their larger T[at]DA also has a low ceiling height.

Parker
Parker Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 05:43 PM   #14

Hi new to the forum.
Just went to a dealer and was told the 151 and 152 series of this unit is discontinued. Can anyone confirm that?
Thanks
JohnBa is offline   Reply With Quote