OT - Your BROWSER may influence what you pay - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-19-2013, 10:05 PM   #1

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
OT - Your BROWSER may influence what you pay

I dislike spam emails, but I received this from a close friend and figure it's worth checking out if it means more $$$ in my pocket!

Your browser influences what you pay online

By Clark Howard

Should you pay more when you're shopping online simply because of the browser you're using? Some popular online retailers think so!

The New York Times reports shoppers are getting widely different prices based on whether they use Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, or Safari. Here are just two examples:
  • For the same Samsung TV on NewEgg.com, a Chrome user was offered a price of $997. Meanwhile, the price was $1,399 when using Firefox or Internet Explorer.
  • Another Samsung television model at Walmart.com was offered for $199 on Firefox and $168 on Chrome and Internet Explorer.
Meanwhile, Mac users could be paying a higher rate for hotel rooms on Orbitz.

According to The Wall Street Journal, Orbitz has been experimenting with a 30% premium on Mac users when they search for select hotel rooms versus PC users. That effectively works out to be around $20 to $30 more than a PC user.

When asked for explanation, Orbitz basically stated that Mac users make more money and are interested in fancier hotels. (There were no happy campers in the Apple world based on those comments!)

The best way for you to stay one step ahead of online retailers who are manipulating price is to use technology to fight back.

If you want an easy way to see if a quoted price is a deal or not, you can compare prices on websites like Decide.com or ShopoBot.com, or use a browser bookmarklet such as Hukkster.

Another alternative would be to install a browser plug-in like Invisible Hand that automatically pops up an alert while you're shopping if a better price is available on another website.

Finally, Amazon customers can typically get a better deal if they put something in their cart and then abandon it before the final purchase. That usually signals to Amazon that you're willling to walk away and triggers a lower price the next time you put it in your cart to checkout. Give it a try!

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:21 PM   #2

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Does not match my experience with Amazon Prime but worth a try to find out for yourself.

jack

Old 02-20-2013, 11:13 AM   #3

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
Prices at Amazon go up and down sometimes multiple times daily. What I do is put something in my basket and save for later- then check the cart periodically. If the price has dropped they give you a notification of it (when you look.) Watch for it to go to an acceptable price and buy quickly as it usually shoots right back up. I've seen things drop from $170 to $85 and back to $170 in the same day.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #4

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
I was listening to a radio program several months ago that stated some websites use cookies to adjust the price on future visits. The main culprits were travel agencies (Canadian). This was an admitted practice and legal. The thought was to give the impression of rising prices and to purchase now. I tested this and got the reported results. Now while shopping I'll clear my cookies and check again before making a purchase.
(#183)
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:03 PM   #5

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
Prices at Amazon go up and down sometimes multiple times daily. What I do is put something in my basket and save for later- then check the cart periodically. If the price has dropped they give you a notification of it (when you look.) Watch for it to go to an acceptable price and buy quickly as it usually shoots right back up. I've seen things drop from $170 to $85 and back to $170 in the same day.
I use camelcamelcamel to watch prices at Amazon for me and notify me when a target price is reached. Amazon Products | camelcamelcamel.com