Other Fiberglass RVs - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 07:28 PM   #15

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
What is wrong with during the winter there?

Old 11-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #16

Name: don
Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT-13
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Whoo boy, not for me living near the FL. Keys!

I know some of you love that cold stuff but parts of the Natl. Park are closed and pulling an RV on the Blue Ridge may be just a wee tricky at times...

Old 11-03-2012, 07:52 PM   #17

Name: don
Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT-13
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Really had a glorious time up there for several weeks including the Cherokee Rally and just returned about 10 days ago.

First time in my life I had to use the windshield wipers to see while pulling in the mountains as the leaves were falling so fast I could not see the road a couple times, but, it was all fantastic!!!
Old 11-03-2012, 07:59 PM   #18

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
Got to get my pokey husband to join me in retirement. The smokey mountains look gorgeous!
Old 11-03-2012, 08:48 PM   #19

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art VanDelay View Post
If I remember correctly back when the forum started it stated Fiberglass RV and went on to say you didn’t have to have a Fiberglass RV just be an enthusiasts.

I don't think that has changed has it? Frankly this forum is specific to Molded fiberglass , so answering a question about a stickie probably isn't the best thing to do for the person questioning. I have certainly owned more stickies than molded fiberglass, but after having molded fiberglass the last 4 years, I figure my knowledge of stickie suggestions might not be up to date with current products/solutions for the person seeking help. I don't think anyone really say's because someone doesn't have a molded fiberglass travel trailer that they can't be a member. I think members are trying to find the best solution for the questioner. That being said though, I believe most of us would prefer to stay on topic of molded type fiberglass rather than see a bunch of engine or drive train topics. Least I think so............

A Fiberglass RV is by all definitions a Fiberglass RV regardless of whither it is carried or towed
Just Saying.

I don't agree, but that is because personally, I don't think travel trailers should be called Rv's!!!!! There is nothing vehicley about a travel trailer.
And if you want to lump all camping units into the word "RV" then I will remind everyone, there is a difference between stickies and molded and that is where I think the misunderstanding is happening.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:38 PM   #20

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
This has come up before, and I always follow the discussion with some bemusement. The fact is that MOST of what gets discussed here is pretty generic, and has little if anything to do with the type of construction of the recreational vehicle.

And a trailer IS a recreational vehicle.

I participate in several other RV-related websites, and much appreciate the diversity of opinion, not to mention the very broad range of expertise available with regard to the systems/problems that all RVers's share, whether they own a trailer, motorhome, camper, tow vehicle...whatever!
And never have I been made to feel that because my itty bitty tug/tow combination seems like a toy compared to the RV under discussion, that makes me somehow ineligible/unequipped to participate in a discussion about, say, someone's plumbing problem.

I will also say that except for at this site, I've never encountered the accepted use of pejorative terms for other people's chosen type of RV ("sticky"; "SOB"- there are, I suppose, others.)

The truth is, there HAVE been instances when someone posts with a question about a rig that doesn't fit the mold, so to speak, and early responses typically are in the "we don't talk about those things" mode- "you should go somewhere else". I won't post links to any threads as I wouldn't want to embarrass anyone.

I think there's a better, more courteous way to say what amounts to the same thing. In my opinion, first responders should at least attempt to answer folks' questions, or at the very least admit their ignorance. That might be the best ploy, from a good manners point of view. Perhaps if one were to say:
"I don't know- I'm not very familiar with your problem. Maybe someone else will chime in with an answer! But meanwhile, you might want to try (insert site suggestion here)- they're SO much better at this sort of thing than we are!"

Or some such malarkey.

Seems to me that approach would still "drive the weeds from the garden", but without insulting them in doing so. And the folks that stick around might have some genuinely good info to share!

This not to mention the perhaps insignificant to some but very real benefit to the site owners, who depend on head count visits/ad revenues for the only money they earn in hosting/supporting the free-to-us site that some of us feel so possessive of.

Francesca
Old 11-04-2012, 06:55 AM   #21

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtriceflt View Post
Whoo boy, not for me living near the FL. Keys!

I know some of you love that cold stuff but parts of the Natl. Park are closed and pulling an RV on the Blue Ridge may be just a wee tricky at times...
There is NO winter south of Iowa
Old 11-04-2012, 08:55 AM   #22

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
The most objective view of our little circle of wagons that I've seen, Francesca. Thank you.

jack
Old 11-04-2012, 12:07 PM   #23

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Mike we cant you know the secret hand shake! Besides many have gone to the dark side only to return, so there is still hope for you! Right Jim
Yup. I do admire the Lil Snoozy and the Escape 19. Someday......
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Old 11-04-2012, 02:30 PM   #24

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
There was a discussion with the owner of a sticky, a 1978 Kit Road Ranger. It was in a discussion with him. (Heater won't start automatically) that I got the idea to look beyond Trillium trailers for the Trillium Furnaces - 9-3608 Blower that I have been looking for. It is my belief that this unit is required to get the claimed heat output of Duo-Therm furnaces that are installed in Trillium trailers.

My point being that there is often enough overlap between our interests, that an informative discussion is possible for sides.

It may be best to keep it as focused as possible, or in the General Chat group.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:06 AM   #25

Name: Art
Trailer: Helite
There was a question on this site posted by a person with a Fiberglass RV that fit in the bed of his pickup and I felt he was treated with disrespect because it was not a Tow Behind. This site is Fiberglassrv.com not Towbehind Fiberglassrv.

Why on earth would someone want to limit this site to only tow behind?
Old 11-06-2012, 09:43 AM   #26

Delaware
Art, as far as I'm concerned, you're more than welcome to stay even if you don't like the published limits of the subject material. There is such a thing as not giving notice that you're going to fly under the radar. Like if it's really, really, really important to you and you just didn't know. Make the best use of the site you can, help others, enjoy yourself. Paint OPPO in big letters on your posts and there are those here who will return the favor.

For an example of an acceptable off-topic topic, take a look at the referral post for 2000 Airstream Bambi. It is acceptable because: 1) it's in the correct pigeonhole--referrals (well amost as the subject trailer is not molded FRP; 2) discussion is desultory and non-confrontational; 3) some of the folks who have and could in future challenge the expression of your views assume it to be acceptable. There is even a link to a frame-up Airstream restoration. Are we being hypocritical? Is there some ambiguity about what goes and what doesn't. Of course.

jack
Old 11-06-2012, 10:10 AM   #27

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
Art, as far as I'm concerned, you're more than welcome to stay even if you don't like the published limits of the subject material.
I suspect Art knows that he is more than welcome to hanging out with us and participating in discussions - moulded fiberglass trailer owner or not - as he has been doing it since 06 and as far as I am aware he has never been asked to leave.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:27 AM   #28

Delaware
Right Carol. Early in the thread, he was told he could leave because of his tude. I said I'd prefer he stays no matter his offense. I did not check to see if he had "oldtimer" status. I certainly would not presume to be polite to someone who knows the game.

jack