Other Fiberglass RVs - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 12:18 PM   #1

Trailer: Helite
Other Fiberglass RVs

If I remember correctly back when the forum started it stated Fiberglass RV and went on to say you didn’t have to have a Fiberglass RV just be an enthusiasts.

I have always felt that this site has been less than courteous to those who ask a question and their RV not fit into the narrow description of a towable Fiberglass RV.

The reason for my thinking on that subject is because 90% of the questions are RV questions that are general in nature and can be answered by one of our experts.

Pointing people to other sites that best suits their needs is OK

A Fiberglass RV is by all definitions a Fiberglass RV regardless of whither it is carried or towed
Just Saying.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:31 PM   #2

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
Seriously though I thought the forum was striking a pretty good balance at keeping primarily FG RV oriented without being unhelpful to non-FG posters. I think it is a balancing act, I've seen other forums where there was a lot of "drift" and the original purpose of the forum became quite diluted.

Good point though, at the end of the day we all have a lot in common with anyone else that takes any kind of rig on the road.

Ron
Old 11-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #3

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Personally I have no issue with any type of trailer. I own what I own, because it is what I like or could afford. Your trailer choice is no different than your right to make whatever personal choice it may be. I have seen very few narrow minded comments on this web site indicating a general disrespect for other people's rights to choose. I have seen comments that reflect a desire to convince people advantages exist with fiberglass trailers.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:47 PM   #4

Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
Art, your comments are so far off base. Thanks Jim for editing. Bill you said it right on.
I personally do not have a FiberGlass RV, but have made wonderful friends and learned my great ideas on this site. If you dont like it Art...leave.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Some people join and ask questions that reveal they do not understand the nature of our little trailers. We try to gently let them know what we're about and that answers may be hard to come by here to their specific questions. Such answers could easily be taken the wrong way, I suppose. But other than that, I think we're a pretty open and kind group overall.

You certainly didn't kick me out when I sold the Burro...
Old 11-03-2012, 02:57 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Leaving

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRIZZO View Post
Art, your comments are so far off base. Thanks Jim for editing. Bill you said it right on.
I personally do not have a FiberGlass RV, but have made wonderful friends and learned my great ideas on this site. If you dont like it Art...leave.
When I first purchased my Dodge truck ,I joined the Ram Truck Forum on the web. My purpose was to learn about the vehicle I had purchased . After about two weeks of being a member I realized that the site was not for me. There were posts constantly questioning the intelligence of any one who owned a Chevy or Ford truck or who didn't use the same motor oil or their posts were just plain anal . I removed myself from their membership list . I think people can come to their own conclusions about this website and decide to stay or leave on their own .I have not seen childish or ill mannered behavior displayed here very often and I have always been allowed to add my two cents worth
Old 11-03-2012, 03:18 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Over the years I've found people concentrate more on the forum title name than what is contained inside. The home page is the beginning. If anyone reads the fine print, they know what the focus is for FiberglassRV.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Home-02.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	52731

Click image for larger version

Name:	Home-01.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	52730
Old 11-03-2012, 03:41 PM   #8

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
Non owners are great. You guys brought me into the fold and gave me a wonderful hobby. What will I do when all the repairs are done and I can just sit and admire?
Old 11-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue and Henry View Post
...... What will I do when all the repairs are done and I can just sit and admire?

Camp?
Old 11-03-2012, 04:41 PM   #10

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G.

Camp?
You betcha!
Old 11-03-2012, 05:16 PM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
You certainly didn't kick me out when I sold the Burro...
Mike we cant you know the secret hand shake! Besides many have gone to the dark side only to return, so there is still hope for you! Right Jim
Old 11-03-2012, 06:04 PM   #12

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Right......
Old 11-03-2012, 06:15 PM   #13

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRIZZO View Post

X2.....I know it is all personal conception ,but I have never thought that anyone on this sight has ever been rude or off base to anyone that has stopped by,yes some people have suggested that they might have more luck looking at different sights more related to their needs.....but NEVER has anyone ever been treated with disrsepct,at least not IMHO. If I was working on a certain brand of older model style of camper I would be very glad that someone pointed me in that direction. Then if I found what I wanted here I would stay here and learn. OH Wait that is what I did!

We tried a Casta,but my DH is claustrophobic and just could not enjoy being inside that close quaters.We both still want one,but we both still enjoy this sight and all the friends we have here....and have both learned so much and hope we have shared a lot too.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:21 PM   #14

Name: don
Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT-13
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue and Henry View Post
Non owners are great. You guys brought me into the fold and gave me a wonderful hobby. What will I do when all the repairs are done and I can just sit and admire?
I recommend the Smoky Mountains before/after winter!
Old 11-03-2012, 06:28 PM   #15

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
What is wrong with during the winter there?
Old 11-03-2012, 06:40 PM   #16

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Whoo boy, not for me living near the FL. Keys!

I know some of you love that cold stuff but parts of the Natl. Park are closed and pulling an RV on the Blue Ridge may be just a wee tricky at times...
Old 11-03-2012, 06:52 PM   #17

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Really had a glorious time up there for several weeks including the Cherokee Rally and just returned about 10 days ago.

First time in my life I had to use the windshield wipers to see while pulling in the mountains as the leaves were falling so fast I could not see the road a couple times, but, it was all fantastic!!!
Old 11-03-2012, 06:59 PM   #18

Washington
Registry
Got to get my pokey husband to join me in retirement. The smokey mountains look gorgeous!
Old 11-03-2012, 07:48 PM   #19

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art VanDelay View Post
If I remember correctly back when the forum started it stated Fiberglass RV and went on to say you didn’t have to have a Fiberglass RV just be an enthusiasts.

I don't think that has changed has it? Frankly this forum is specific to Molded fiberglass , so answering a question about a stickie probably isn't the best thing to do for the person questioning. I have certainly owned more stickies than molded fiberglass, but after having molded fiberglass the last 4 years, I figure my knowledge of stickie suggestions might not be up to date with current products/solutions for the person seeking help. I don't think anyone really say's because someone doesn't have a molded fiberglass travel trailer that they can't be a member. I think members are trying to find the best solution for the questioner. That being said though, I believe most of us would prefer to stay on topic of molded type fiberglass rather than see a bunch of engine or drive train topics. Least I think so............

A Fiberglass RV is by all definitions a Fiberglass RV regardless of whither it is carried or towed
Just Saying.

I don't agree, but that is because personally, I don't think travel trailers should be called Rv's!!!!! There is nothing vehicley about a travel trailer.
And if you want to lump all camping units into the word "RV" then I will remind everyone, there is a difference between stickies and molded and that is where I think the misunderstanding is happening.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:38 PM   #20

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
This has come up before, and I always follow the discussion with some bemusement. The fact is that MOST of what gets discussed here is pretty generic, and has little if anything to do with the type of construction of the recreational vehicle.

And a trailer IS a recreational vehicle.

I participate in several other RV-related websites, and much appreciate the diversity of opinion, not to mention the very broad range of expertise available with regard to the systems/problems that all RVers's share, whether they own a trailer, motorhome, camper, tow vehicle...whatever!
And never have I been made to feel that because my itty bitty tug/tow combination seems like a toy compared to the RV under discussion, that makes me somehow ineligible/unequipped to participate in a discussion about, say, someone's plumbing problem.

I will also say that except for at this site, I've never encountered the accepted use of pejorative terms for other people's chosen type of RV ("sticky"; "SOB"- there are, I suppose, others.)

The truth is, there HAVE been instances when someone posts with a question about a rig that doesn't fit the mold, so to speak, and early responses typically are in the "we don't talk about those things" mode- "you should go somewhere else". I won't post links to any threads as I wouldn't want to embarrass anyone.

I think there's a better, more courteous way to say what amounts to the same thing. In my opinion, first responders should at least attempt to answer folks' questions, or at the very least admit their ignorance. That might be the best ploy, from a good manners point of view. Perhaps if one were to say:
"I don't know- I'm not very familiar with your problem. Maybe someone else will chime in with an answer! But meanwhile, you might want to try (insert site suggestion here)- they're SO much better at this sort of thing than we are!"

Or some such malarkey.

Seems to me that approach would still "drive the weeds from the garden", but without insulting them in doing so. And the folks that stick around might have some genuinely good info to share!

This not to mention the perhaps insignificant to some but very real benefit to the site owners, who depend on head count visits/ad revenues for the only money they earn in hosting/supporting the free-to-us site that some of us feel so possessive of.

Francesca
Closed Thread