Our First Camping Experience - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2003, 07:45 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Our First Camping Experience

Thursday night we loaded up our Xterra with all of our camping gear in anticipation of picking up our "new" 1982 Scamp 16'. My mind was at the campground while I was at work until Noon on Friday. When the Noon whistle blew I picked up the wife and headed North to Edina, MN to pick it up.

We arrived about 3:00 pm and got a complete tour of all the ins and outs of the trailer. 4:45 we were back on the road. Scamp towed great hardly knew it was back there. About 7:30 we arrived at home, threw in the food, grabbed the kids from grandmas and headed for the campground. By this time it was pouring down rain.

I did pretty well backing in, considering this was my first time ever doing this. We spent the rest of the night under our awning and proceded to go to bed early. It rained all night. The rest of the weekend was absolutely gorgeous. We played some golf, croquet, and swam at the local pool.

All in all we grew to love the Scamp with every minute we camped in it. It has everything we wanted, and everything works. Awning, 3 way fridge, sink, stove, furnace, air conditioner, toilet, shower, sleeps 4. It does need a good cleaning though, inside and out!

One thing we noticed with all of the rain. The interior headliner got wet in two areas. One was by the top corner of the shower wall, another was by where an overhead cupboard hooks to the ceiling. I'm guessing the best method is to get up there an silicone around the bolt points? I was looking at the roof after we got home yesterday were points where it appears the fiberglass on the roof is gone and I can see what appears to be yellow styrofoam. These spots are smaller than a pencil eraser head. Could rain be getting in here too?

Finally, we've camped for years in tents and keep all of our "stuff" in rubbermaid type totes. The scamp has a lot of storage space, yet none of the spaces are too big. I'm curious what other owners put where? What do you keep in your trailer, and where do you keep it?

Sorry for the length, just excited about finally having a fiberglass trailer. We've looked at them for a long time! We're now ready to clean ours up and make it our own.

Thanks! - Jeremy :wave

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 07:55 AM   #2

New Scamp owner

:wave Congratulations, Jeremy!

Sounds like it was a great first trip. Even had the rain come along so you could find where those little drips are. Not to worry. We'll have Scamp owners come along soon and help you with those. They will be easy to fix.

I think you're pretty much on target about where your leaks are. If you have a vent pipe around your shower area, that might be where your leak is on that one. I'm sure you are right about the rivet that holds the cabinet up, too.

Having purchased an older Casita, I had several to locate. Yes, it was a bit frustrating at first, but once they are fixed, they're good to go. Since mine were repaired, I have spent several stormy nights in mine and I was snug as a bug in a rug and just as dry!

Old 06-30-2003, 09:14 AM   #3

one more thing

I forgot to mention that my 7 year old daughter fell out of the top bunk on Saturday night. She's ok, no injuries. She spent the rest of the night on the floor and laughed about it in the morning.

Old 06-30-2003, 10:12 AM   #4

Rails

There are some good ideas on railings on this site so your daugher won't fall out of the bunk. Glad she wasnt hurt. Now if it was one of us old farts:wak ....anyway, pvc pipes over the bunk supports is a good one. I am going to put them up just to hold our junk up there. TONS of things and ideas on this great site.