Our first trailer scare - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-22-2008, 09:03 PM   #1
Trailer: 2007 13 ft Scamp / 2006 Jeep Liberty Renagade V6
We decide to go to Branson for the weekend. Early Monday morning Ted hooks so we can leave. We drive out the RV Park and across some railroad tracks, hear some noise but didn't pay attention to it. Ted starts to pull the trailer up a hill when we hear this dragging noise, Ted stops and looks in the rear view mirror tell me the trailer is unhitched. The only thing that is holding the trailer is the safety chains and we are on a hill. I'm about to freak out ! I asked Ted what are we going to do now? So he gets out and puts the foot down and then asked me to go and get the wheel chocks I go looking for the chocks and can only find one. I think this is not good. We get the wheel chocked, in the mean time a Branson Police officer stops and asked if we need any help, we say no. Another couple stopped and asked also. Branson folk are very friendly. Ted tells me hes going to back up so we can get the chains off and get hitched up again. All I could do was cross my fingers and hope he knew what he was doing, cause I sure didn't. Well it did work! And I was very relieved. I thought for sure the trailer would end up down the the hill and flipped over. Maybe Ted though he had the hitch all the way down on the ball or when we went over the tracks which were slightly elevated it knocked it loose.
Don't know for sure, but someone was out there looking over us. (Thanks DAD ! )

ted saxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:37 PM   #2
Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA

Glad it turned out OK.

You'll be jacking up the tongue to check the fit after you are hooked up *every time*, now won't you?

It's good to hear the positive story about a bit of safety equipment doing it's job. We always hear when they fail, when I am more inclined to believe that when they work, it's almost a semi no event, so we don't hear about it.

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 04:21 AM   #3
Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Don't know for sure, but someone was out there looking over us. (Thanks DAD ! )
Yes Ditto what Gina said.
I keep a mental list of "things to do and Check" before moving on and one of them is to crank the trailer back up after it is hitched until I see the tires on the TV start to move up so weight of TV is pulling down on ball....then a good kick on tounge to the side...if it stays hitched I know it is in good shape for the trip....I will also look at it every stop to insure safety...this is just one of the things on list.
Others include: check that everything such as water and electric is unhooked
Load is secure inside
window protector and all outside hatches are latched down good
door is latched good
tires are inflated
Camp site is clean
all lights work
Wheel chocks and stabilizer jacks up
Safety chains on
I am sure there are more things to do but these are the things I do.
Gerry the canoebuilder
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 05:25 AM   #4
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oh wow, so glad to read everything worked out. I can't image a worse place to find you've got a disconnected trailer than on a hill! Guess you'll get out and check the next time you hear a "clunk" for ANY reason.

We've had all kinds of discussions regarding what to check when arriving and leaving. One of the best was started by Frederick: Checklist 7.0
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 06:54 AM   #5
Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
I can't image a worse place to find you've got a disconnected trailer than on a hill!
Or that you've only got one wheel chock handy!

Thanks for the reminder that you always want to stow those on top! (And don't leave home without 'em!)
Mary F Fiberglass Rules!
FGRV Forum Custom Search
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:10 AM   #6
Name: Patrick
Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty (Sold 2011)/ Honda Odyssey
One side benefit to having to use a weight distributing hitch is that after latching the hitch I raise it up using the jack to make it easier to hook up the two arms. So I get a instant confirmation that the latch is under the ball, and not on top of it.

Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote