Our First Trip - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2010, 10:46 PM   #1

Trailer: Trails West Campster
We took our first trip in our 1970 trails west campster. It was awesome. Love the trailer more now that we used it.
Attached Thumbnails
NEWJT.jpg  
Raymond Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Glad to hear somebody is getting out and enjoying the great outdoors. Cute trailer! Congrats!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:18 AM   #3

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Love your campster! What's that sticking up next to the popup on the right side?
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:46 AM   #4

Trailer: Trails West Campster
Quote:
Love your campster! What's that sticking up next to the popup on the right side?
Thanks. Thats a new vent for the fridge.(previous owner installed) However the new vent really does nothing for a broken fridge. Can't decide if I want to just remove it (fridge) for more room or buy a new one (expensive for the measly room you get inside the fridge). Right now I have no propane or 12 volt service. I want to replace the 12 volt first then the propane system. We have so far replaced all cushions and curtains(the wifes handy work). I removed the old heater(more rust than heater. The rust welded the heater together so I had to cut it out with a sawz-all. Made the space a cabinet. Rewired the taillights. Removed the water tank, have not found a new one. Fixed leaks in the shore water system. I still have lots of work but I love this little gem. She fits in my garage(the most important feature to me) and with my 4x4 and its light weight I can drag it anywhere. Any tips on parts...mainly the lifting mechanism for the poptop. Mine seems pretty solid right now, but i will need to be doing some work to the overall poptop and in case something breaks? Sorry long answer.
Raymond Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:32 AM   #5

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I had to replace one of the springs on the pop top so if I were you I'd carry a spare spring unless they look okay. Did you do the AC or did the previous owner? I have not done a lot to mine but have considered taking out the icebox; it is awkward to get to and a cooler would work just as well (or better) and is easier to clean when you forget to take something out after a trip. I did put in a microwave and replaced the cushions with two short cushions and a 48 inch bed. I'd like to put access doors in to utilize the storage now the bed blocks it. I don't use the water tank. I do have 12V lights but currently no battery and they need some sorting out of the wiring before they could be used. I use the propane stove, though, I like having that for when I can't use the microwave.

And yes, fitting in the garage is the main thing! Especially since I can position it by hand once it is off the hitch and so my parking doesn't have to be perfect.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 04:26 PM   #6

Trailer: 1973 Compact II / 2001 Honda CRV SE automatic
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
Great looking rig there Raymond! Welcome to the 'Hunter Trailer Siblings' family...hehe

Joe
Joseph Domingos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:51 PM   #7

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr
Quote:
...Removed the water tank, have not found a new one.
I took the water tank out of my Compact Jr. and have no use for it.

It doesn't leak and is pretty clean, but not potable -- it would need to be disinfected if you want to drink out of it. No, nothing bad was put into it, but it spent a long time cooking in the previous owner's yard in the Central Valley.

I believe it is the same sized tank as used in the Campster. If you would like, I can measure mine and send you the dimensions and some pictures.

Dana T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 10:19 PM   #8

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
California
The picture is wonderful. Wish I were there.

I bought my Scamp in January. I have put on new tires, packed the bearings, new termo on the water heater, added a breakaway switch, new vent cover for the refer, new cover for the roof vent, new rivet covers and had all systems checked and working fine and thought about camping a lot!!!!

With mixed feelings, I took a temporary job with the Census Bureau this month. Just when the weather got nice. Figured I could use a few extra dollars. ( I'm retired).

So, I have my new-to-me Scamp, ready to go, and I'm working. Kind of sucks. I will like having a couple extra dollars though. I should be done mid June. Too late for the desert though.

California coast.....here I come !!!

Your photo has me ready to quit my job...............................
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:11 PM   #9

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Registry
Quote:
The picture is wonderful. Wish I were there.
DITTO, Raymond. Nice set up you have there. Great time to be in the desert. It looks like there are two wood strips on the outside of your trailer. Yes? Just decoration?

Enjoy your Trailswest!

Fran
74 Compact II
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:32 AM   #10

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Cute trailer.

Joshua Trees great place for a first trip or any trip.

Congrats.

Also to Charlie, too bad you took a job. Weather is supposed to be nice for awhile. I'm thinking about a day or two at Millerton north of you after the Lake San Antonio rally. Will be there Monday/Tuesday after Mothers Day.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote