Our National Parks - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-28-2016, 10:51 AM   #15

Name: Rob
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II, #70
Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan and Carol View Post
Rob, We have been thinking of a trip to SW Utah in June, but not sure if it will work out.

Stan
Stan, hopefully you can make it. It will be hot then, make no mistake but if you've never been there even with the heat I doubt you would regret it. We had unseasonably cool weather on this trip by a long margin at that. Some really nice days but also quite a few that were not, rain, heavy winds and freezing temps on a few nights. But we never got below 96% on our battery drain and it was fully recharged by mid morning even with full overcast and or rainy days.

Let me know if you would like some suggestions on places to camp, hike and visit while avoiding the crowds too. Be glad to make some suggestions.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:24 AM   #16

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
With all the retired or soon to be retired baby boomers , myself included , the off season for National and State Parks is getting smaller and smaller . We visited the Arches last October well after school had started and it was packed.
The current trend to make parks totally self sustaining by counting on user fees or volunteers to cover expenses is not working well. Many of the parks we have visited show obvious signs of deterioration from lack of maintenance. Many parks have little monitoring / supervision due to inadequate park staff. My state recently cut all general funds for the parks and cut the maintenance / improvement budget by 20%.. The States stated goal is that if the parks can't go it alone then the parks should be sold to private concerns.
I wonder what our National and State parks system would look like today if years ago the same sentiment prevailed.
We are short changing our children and grandchildren ! IMHO

Old 04-28-2016, 12:36 PM   #17

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 Layout 7
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Outlaw View Post
The moral of the story is, if you have the option, visit the national parks during off season. You'll most likely find rewards not often experienced by most by doing this.
To this day, hands down our kids' favorite National Park is Yellowstone. We went in late September and there honestly wasn't a soul around. We tent camped and got snowed on overnight two nights in a row. The wolves howled lonely sounds all night. We were alone at every attraction. Hikes were solitary affairs. It was incredible and it was because we were alone in a vast and beautiful place.

We've been to many, many other amazing parks, but this one holds a special place in their hearts. They'd love to go back, but doing again in the off season hasn't worked out, and I refuse to dilute that magic for them by going with the crowds during summer
Old 04-28-2016, 12:45 PM   #18

Name: Bill
Trailer: Oliver
NC
We take too many photos, but here's a few more of National Parks taken on camping trips:

Took this one before buying a fiberglass camper, Jungle Jack Hanna while visiting folks at the campground, took a photo with my Wife Debbie, close to Glacier NP:

Old 04-28-2016, 12:48 PM   #19

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 Layout 7
Colorado
Registry
Bill, your photos are fantastic! Thank you for sharing!
Old 04-28-2016, 01:09 PM   #20

Name: Linda
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
I too love our national parks. Right now we're in Utah just outside Capitol Reef National Park after having spent 3 nights in the park. Woke up to snow/rain mix with about 4 inches of heavy, wet snow on the ground currently. We moved to an RV park with full hookups to wait out the winter storm. Any advice on keeping our hookups operating in freezing weather? Our first time camping in the snow! New memory created! Highly recommend Capital Reef with Scenic Byway Route 12 down to Bryce National Park, Escalante Grand Staircase, and of course Zion National Park! It's another world around here!
19' Escape due 10/30/17
ljswanson53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:17 PM   #21

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by emij View Post
Bill, your photos are fantastic! Thank you for sharing!
I enthusiastically agree. Thanks.

Walt
Old 04-28-2016, 02:10 PM   #22

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljswanson53 View Post
I too love our national parks. Right now we're in Utah just outside Capitol Reef National Park after having spent 3 nights in the park. Woke up to snow/rain mix with about 4 inches of heavy, wet snow on the ground currently. We moved to an RV park with full hookups to wait out the winter storm. Any advice on keeping our hookups operating in freezing weather? Our first time camping in the snow! New memory created! Highly recommend Capital Reef with Scenic Byway Route 12 down to Bryce National Park, Escalante Grand Staircase, and of course Zion National Park! It's another world around here!
The most scenic part of route 12, I believe is called "The Hogs Back" is spectacular, but I would hate to be on it with snow on the road. It and the Moki Dugway are 2 of the most scenic roads I've ever seen.

Wish I was there today.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:23 PM   #23

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
Don't overlook the 'Other' fantastic set of 'National Parks', that we share on this 'North American' continent. I'd highly recommend the natural wilderness beauty of 'Pukaskwa National Park', especially for extended canoeing and camping adventures.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:06 PM   #24

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
We have a fantastic array of national parks for which great sacrifice of property rights and treasure has been made. A hugely disproportionate percentage of them are west of the Mississippi and largely out of reach to the population centers.

Even with more than twice the number of vistors of any other national park ,none is better managed or more amazing than Smokey Mountain National Park. The park hosts nearly 10 million visitors per year and each visitor can experience the wilderness in solitude on the quiet walkways.
These parks are a treasure for all Americans to share and care MUST be taken to keep them affordable and accessible to all. They MUST be visited to be seen and they must be seen to be politically supported, and they must be politically supported to continue to exist as parks. The federal government took these lands for public use and it is incumbent upon them to take the responsibility to keep them open, affordable, and accessible.
Small fees for some services may be acceptable, but to demand "self funding" will destroy the park system as people turn a blind eye to them over time as in the movie "Silent Running". This is one area where public funding is not optional.

Old 04-28-2016, 03:23 PM   #25

SW Virginia
The federal government took these lands for public use and it is incumbent upon them to take the responsibility to keep them open, affordable, and accessible.

A major problem is that the congress refuses to provide adequate funds and then the administration (the government) gets blamed for inadequate performance., especially by the anti government legislators.

This is probably getting too close to being political and we should stick to lauding our wonderful national parks, on both sides of the border.

Walt
Old 04-28-2016, 03:44 PM   #26

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
I think the more we visit our National Parks the more we all love them. I too wish they were better funded. Perhaps when more of us Boomers are out there using them we will demand that those rascals in Washington take better care of them!
We have visited most of the Four Corners area parks recently but somehow not the Grand Canyon. That one is on the short list. We did arches last year in March. A bit chilly overnight but a fabulous time. Went through nearby Dead Horse State Park, which is a must see if you are in the area. Such stunning views it almost hurts your eyes!

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 04-28-2016, 04:16 PM   #27

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denece View Post
Perhaps when more of us Boomers are out there using them we will demand that those rascals in Washington take better care of them!
More likely we'll be demanding full service, drive through sites, WiFi, paved trails with hand rails, and five-star restaurants.
Old 04-28-2016, 04:29 PM   #28

SW Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
More likely we'll be demanding full service, drive through sites, WiFi, paved trails with hand rails, and five-star restaurants.
Isn't that what Denece said? LOL

Walt