Our National Parks - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-30-2016, 03:40 PM   #61

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Former Escape 19 owner
Virginia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
The current trend to make parks totally self sustaining by counting on user fees or volunteers to cover expenses is not working well. Many of the parks we have visited show obvious signs of deterioration from lack of maintenance. Many parks have little monitoring / supervision due to inadequate park staff. My state recently cut all general funds for the parks and cut the maintenance / improvement budget by 20%.. The States stated goal is that if the parks can't go it alone then the parks should be sold to private concerns.
I wonder what our National and State parks system would look like today if years ago the same sentiment prevailed.
We are short changing our children and grandchildren ! IMHO
From what I understand, all the user fees, etc, go back into the general budget. I bet our National Parks could be self sustaining if all the fees went back into the parks themselves.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 04:13 PM   #62

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoRockiesFan View Post
From what I understand, all the user fees, etc, go back into the general budget. I bet our National Parks could be self sustaining if all the fees went back into the parks themselves.
Numerous states have tried the self funding route using user fees as the sole funding method for their parks. From the studies I have seen /read non have been successful. . The only thing that it has accomplished is reduced park hours , reduce repairs and maintenance , reduced programs and park closings. Parks near major population centers may generate enough income to be self supporting but parks in rural area would suffer . This is in the same vein as the gas tax which does not generate enough revenue to maintain and build our roads .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:41 PM   #63

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Quote:
Fox News say that budget cuts are not the reason for the deterioration of our National Parks. The problem stems from too many people using the resource. If we all stayed home the problem would be solved.
I intend to contribute to the deterioration of (i.e., visit) several national parks this summer!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:59 PM   #64

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I intend to contribute to the deterioration of (i.e., visit) several national parks this summer!
We have the same plans . We have never been to Glacier National Park and want to see it before the Glaciers melt.. If you believe the
Internet it's scheduled for the year 2020. Have fun on your trip.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 10:40 PM   #65

Name: Linda
Trailer: Escape
Colorado
Quote:
Fox News say that budget cuts are not the reason for the deterioration of our National Parks. The problem stems from too many people using the resource. If we all stayed home the problem would be solved.
Yes, that would be Fox News and their reasoningeyes
“Casa Swany”
ljswanson53 is offline   Reply With Quote