Our new Parkliner - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-16-2013, 05:53 AM   #21

Name: Scott
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner
Georgia
Katie, Congratulations on your new trailer! We have enjoyed our PL immensely, and I hope you make many great memories with yours as well.

I don't want to speak for others, but I did NOT read Brian's post as a response to Carol's. I believe he was referring to some other threads that have gotten out of hand. Maybe he will clarify, but I wanted to at least suggest such an interpretation.
mrscottyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:13 AM   #22

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2013 ParkLiner
Upstate New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
Why are you so defensive of a member giving her experience of the absence of tire rub with her particular trailer? I don't believe Carols comments were as you say, Trash talking!
I'm afraid that my post has been mischaracterized. To infer that I was accusing Carol of trash talking is incorrect. Frankly, I was not even considering Carol's post. The point I was trying to make was that we all make our own choices according what suits our preferences, needs and budgets. That's all. If you are happy with what you own, I'm happy for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
If you wanna see an example of "trash talking" hang out on a stickie forum.
I really don't want to see trash talking at all. I don't find it either constructive or useful. Pointing out a problem or defect to other members of this forum to warn of potential safety or utility issues is good. Offering a solution, good. Beating that problem to death, not so good. I will be forever grateful to "Birmingham" for discovering and posting the ParkLiner tire rub problem before I either suffered a blowout or the FG in the wheel wells rubbed all the way through.

As I stated in my previous post -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian M. in NY View Post
It was interesting that when talking face to face with other FG camper owners at the rally, we were all respectful of each others choices and there was none of the trash talking that occurs all too often on this forum.
Again this was not directed to anyone specifically or any particular post, it was simply an observation that a diverse group of FGRV owners could come together, share observations, ideas, and experiences and have a very pleasant exchange without engaging in acrimony.

Sorry if you thought I was trying to push your buttons or those of anyone else on this forum. My intent was simply to congratulate Katie and her husband on their purchase, wish them well and share my experience that we can, indeed, get along despite the differences in what constitutes the ideal camper for each of us.

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
Brian M. in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:08 AM   #23

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
There is a forum member (who I now have blocked) who had several of his posts deleted because he was trash talking ParkLiner, who doesn't own one.

I understand there are some issues ParkLiner owners are dealing with...constructive criticism is acceptable...what this forum member was saying wasn't.

Trash talking is often why I leave forums...don't need trolls.

Im aware, down the road Im probably going to either replace my axle with a lift kit for more room because I know eventually the axle will sag...but that hopefully shouldn't be an issue for at least 10 years.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:48 AM   #24

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
"Let it be, let it be, let it be, let it be. There will be an answer let it be."

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:57 AM   #25
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Hi, everybody. Let's not rehash the past - it's over.

Closing this thread would be a disservice to the original poster (OP), so let's keep it supportive and informative - no grousing over past mistakes.

Thank you!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:13 AM   #26

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
K8T I was curious if you bought your trailer sight unseen? I was thinking that is a long drive from CA without ever seeing one before. Did you end up going with a porta potty or the Macerator toilet option? Thanks.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:15 AM   #27

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Congratulations!!! Hope it is a positive experience for you
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:50 AM   #28

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
CONGRATULATIONS Katie !!
Wishing you and yours many wonderful adventures.

Thom (& Cari)
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:05 AM   #29

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
A bolted on axle would allow the insertion of shims to raise the trailer in relation to the axle. Not sure how high I would go. If the shims were welded in, then it would be possible to go quite high.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:11 AM   #30
k8t

Name: Katie
Trailer: ParkLiner 2013
California
Thanks Steve! The first 4000 miles have been very positive for us and we look forward to more.

Ken-We bought the trailer sight unseen. Our decision was based on our physical needs and how the dimensions of whatever trailer we chose would support that.

We wanted a 15-16 ft trailer for towing comfort for us and storage space here at home. Then we looked at interior height. We were initially very interested in the Scamp and Casita but they're both too short inside. There are others that list an interior height of 6'2" but that's what the Scamp was so we eliminated those as well. My husband is 6'2" and I don't ever want him to have to walk around with a cocked neck on vacation. We did that for too many years in various tents and it's just no fun. Our tent trailer had plenty of head room for him and we didn't want to take a step backwards into something that would cramp his height. There are other trailers out there that have taller interior height but their designs did not appeal to us.

Then we looked at bed size. We had a king size bed in our tent trailer and it was great! The queen size bed in the 15 ft Parkliner was too good to be true! I like sleeping space as much as hubby does and the double beds in the other trailers were not going to make for very happy vacation times for either of us. We didn't see that available in any other of the smaller trailers.

And then from there we based our decision on the other available options and dimensions, photos, getting into trailers owned by others, people's experiences from this forum, pm's with people from this forum, and conversations and emails with Cameron and Chandler.

The toilet issue was an ongoing debate, right up until the last minute, and we ultimately wound up with the marine macerating toilet.

You're absolutely right - it was a long drive without ever having seen one. But we have always wanted to drive across the US so we just decided to pick up the trailer ourselves rather than pay someone else to transport it out here for us. We figured, what the heck... adventures are what make life interesting, right? And our 7000+ mile trip to pick up our Parkliner was truly a wonderful adventure!!! There is so much to see out there and we barely saw anything. We can't wait to hit the road again and now we have a vehicle in which to do it. The trip home was a great test and we're sure we have the right trailer for us!

This forum is an invaluable resource to people like us who live on the opposite coast from a company that we're very interested in. There just isn't another candid source of information on FG trailers. We've also never had a hard-sided trailer or had to deal with a black tank so we've been scouring this entire site to learn as much as we can. We've learned so much, and look forward to learning more!!!

Thanks to all of you for your ongoing candid comments.
k8t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:18 AM   #31
k8t

California
Thanks Thom (and Cari)!

Your contributions to this forum have been invaluable!!! We reviewed your posts quite often during our decision-making process. If nothing else, they remind us that there's always a fix for issues that arise, especially if you have a McGyver in the house. Hubby (Chris) is a McGyver-type so we're in good hands. He's got all sorts of new horizons to explore...
Old 10-16-2013, 10:33 AM   #32

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
A bolted on axle would allow the insertion of shims to raise the trailer in relation to the axle. Not sure how high I would go. If the shims were welded in, then it would be possible to go quite high.
David in theory good thought but perhaps not a fix. Not to rehash old stuff here if you go to Parkliner Tire Rub issue and post #362 has photos and what another party did to resolve the issue.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:42 AM   #33

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
David in theory good thought but perhaps not a fix. Not to rehash old stuff here if you go to Parkliner Tire Rub issue and post #362 has photos and what another party did to resolve the issue.
OK, clearly I am commenting on something I have no idea about. I glanced at the 32 pages, (32 PAGES?) on the subject. Wow. I back away slowly.

TRILLIUMS ROCK! (troll)

BTW, if you click on the posting number, in the upper right hand corner of the post, then the link can be copied to the exact post you want to direct someone to:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post420166
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:47 AM   #34

Registry
Quote:
OK, clearly I am commenting on something I have no idea about. I glanced at the 32 pages, (32 PAGES?) on the subject. Wow. I back away slowly.

TRILLIUMS ROCK. (troll)

BTW, if you click on the posting number, then the link can be copied to the exact post you want to direct someone to:
probable didnt help that I sent you off to the wrong post - edited my post to read #362! One set of pictures worth at least 30 pages of the preamble.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:11 AM   #35
k8t

California
We followed the tire-rub thread very closely after we made our initial deposit on our Parkliner, and we looked very closely at Brian's fiberglass modification, specifically the end result and the price.

It's very encouraging! Pricey, but do-able.

We considered the initial outlay for our new trailer and decided that we would be happier getting a trailer design we were happy with and to be prepared to make a modification like this if we needed to rather than spend the money on a trailer with a design that we were not happy with to begin with.

I hope it doesn't come to this, but this is one of the things we included in our overall budget. I know, sounds backwards to plan for a fix like this on a new trailer right off the bat, but we cant' force a design we don't care for to make us comfortable. (hope that makes sense)

The cost of the wheel well modification adds roughly another $1000 to the cost of our trailer, moving it from about $18,000 to about $19,000 for the trailer we really want. That will pay for itself overall in the long run in satisfaction. Also if we have to do this, we're still under warranty.

This is another great example of how this forum has helped us weigh so many factors and has helped us come to various decisions.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:27 PM   #36

Name: asdf
Trailer: asdf
Alabama
Very informative pictures. It looks almost like they upped the tire diameter after creating the mold. Or something.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:39 PM   #37

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Someone posted the total tire, rim and axle combinations that have been in use so far. I can't find the post, anyone have it for jwcolby54 ? That might be a factor too.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:50 PM   #38

Registry
Guys as has been suggested the topic of the PL tire rubbing issues is well covered under the thread with same name and photos linked, no need to high jack this thread on the topic.

*Sorry* Katie to have said a thing about it - but happy to hear you know about it and are on it.

Sincerely do hope you make lots of great memories with your new trailer!
Old 10-16-2013, 01:03 PM   #39
k8t

California
Thanks Carol,
We're fortunate to have logged 4000 miles worth of wonderful memories in a very short time and look forward to logging so many more!
Old 10-16-2013, 02:41 PM   #40

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Quote:
BTW, if you click on the posting number, in the upper right hand corner of the post, then the link can be copied to the exact post you want to direct someone to:
Thanks Dave, I didn't know that.
Learn something everyday.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parkliner