Our New Scamp is Home - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-15-2012, 12:30 PM   #1

Name: Daniel
Trailer: Scamp has Arrived - Layout 7
Minnesota
Our New Scamp is Home

YAY!!!

We picked up our new Scamp 16 from Backus on Tuesday. We did go with our original plan - an all electric number 7 layout. Feels very roomy inside. It towed very well behind our 2010 Tacoma V-6 4WD extended cab pickup and we averaged 16 MPG at 60-65 MPH.

The features/options we requested were all in place and working well. This trailer has:
- AC with heat strip
- No propane - we use a butane stove to cook and a Mr. Heater Buddy to take the chill off when no electric
- Awning
- Battery pack
- Step
- Gray water tank
- One faucet for water from the freshwater tank and another for city water. No water heater. We only use hot water for washing dishes and hands.
- Porta-potti - almost every where we go has bathroom/shower facilities
- 3 speed Fantastic Fan
- Bat wing antenna for television
- Extra lights, 110 and 12 volt outlets and exterior 110 volt ground fault outlet

Mods in progress or planned:
- MaxxAir 2 cover for Fantastic Fan and blackout shade inside
- MaxxAir vents for rear side windows
- White poly tongue storage box
- Solar electric
- Front couch/bunk changed to full time mattress with removable back support for daytime use as couch
- Modified cushions for side dinette - it will never be used as a bed and the current cushions are a bit thicker than necessary for just sitting
- Sound system
- Maple or birch cabinet doors
- Shelves in closet
- Smart porch light

I’m sure we will be adding to the mod list after we tour other eggs at the April Eggscursion in Tennessee.

This is Exciting!

Dan and Sue

P.S. Pictures as I get to it.
Dan Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
I feels good to get something new. How far are you from Backus,MN? Great weather this spring in Minnesota. Enjoy your Scamp.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:29 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Congratulations Dan and Sue Sounds like you've got a good plan for improvements too.

Don't forget to change your profile.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:39 PM   #4

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Happy camping!!
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:17 PM   #5

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
congratulations, dan and sue! you will have many, many happy camping adventures in your new rig. i know it's not necessarily for everyone, but i totally agree with you about the portapotti vs. shower in the trailer. we, too, have only the portapotti and have never had an issue with finding a shower when we're "in need".
sounds like of all the options you've chosen, the one we'd most like to have is the solar. and we'll add it, but not this year.

good luck with your new toy and have a blast!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:32 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
¡Hola! from Las Cruces, New Mexico. Welcome to the Forum. Congrats on the new rig!

Sounds like it is an uniquely designed Scamp, one made to order for your needs.
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:00 PM   #7

Minnesota
Kevin K - We are in Plymouth just west of Minneapolis about 170 miles from Backus.

Donna - Yes, I'll be changing that profile ASAP.

Thanks Bill.

Theresa P - Sounds like we think and camp alike. We really are tent campers at heart but it's just too much work to set one up every day on the road and we also need something more bear proof when camping out west next year. Solar might have to wait until next year for us also.

Adrian - Gracias. Yes... probably not your standard Scamp but we think we will like it. The Folks at Scamp took good care of us.

Dan
Old 03-15-2012, 09:41 PM   #8

Name: John
Trailer: gave up!!
California
Congratulations!!
John_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:19 PM   #9

Minnesota
Thanks John.

BTW I was just out in the Scamp and was happy to discover that Scamp now uses interior lights with wedge base bulbs rather than 1156 base bulbs so the 48-LED panels I ordered from China plug right in without having to solder on an 1156 base.

They seem to be just a bit less bright than the stock incandescent bulbs and the color is a touch less warm but still okay.

This conversion will help extend the battery when boondocking.

Dan
Old 03-16-2012, 04:09 AM   #10

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
very cool, we get ours monday, will be driving right past you with it on our way to austin to see the spam museum.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:38 AM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Congratulations.

Fantastic Vent now makes their own "open in the rain" cover, in case you are interested.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:43 AM   #12

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Congratulations on your new trailer. Don't forget to have some ventilation when using the Mr Heater. We use an electric heater when power is available, and have used a Buddy heater other times, but not while we are sleeping.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:50 PM   #13

Name: Nick
Trailer: OutdoorsRV
Texas
Congratulation Dan & Sue. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I just joined the Scamp camp today and bought a 19' Deluxe ready to go. I pick it up on 3/28 as I head west for the spring/summer.
Rvicsvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:10 PM   #14

Trailer: 2003 13 ft Scamp
Yes, welcome to the Scamp world and congrats on your new Scamp! We picked up our new 13' from Backus back in January and really anxious to use it. Our first outing will be to Grand Marais to volunteer at North House Folk School.
russelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:33 PM   #15

Minnesota
John Warren - Hey John... if you would like to stop by on your way to Spam City, drop me a message at DAN at SUNSETLANDING dot COM. We could compare rigs.

Thomas G - Yeah... I got the word about the Fantastic rain cover about a day after I had installed the MaxxAir 2. Oh well, if I don’t like the M2 I can always get the other one. It’s only money. HAH!

Mary and Bob - Thanks for the reminder. We do know about the CO thing and are very cautious. I did install a CO detector but we tend to sleep cold anyway. I think Sue and I are descended from penguins.

Nick - Enjoy your 19 footer. It really is a nice unit. We seriously considered the 19 FW but I just can’t give up my pickup topper... too handy. That’s where we keep our recumbents.

RussellD (Lee) - Have fun at the Folk School. Grand Marais is one of our favorite places on this planet. We try to get there at least twice a year. Visited the wooden boat show last year. What a fabulous exhibit! The new Mexican restaurant is pretty good. And the municipal campground was way better than we expected. We usually stay at one of the Minnesota state parks on the North Shore.

To All - the curtain tie-backs are in place. I used 3M Command picture hanger thingies and light tan half-inch flat cording from the fabric shop. Works great and matches the Scamp curtains.

Got one of the MaxxAir window vents installed on the curb side dinette window. Quite a project but the next one will be much easier now that I have one under the belt.

Had to buy a new 2 inch drop ball mount. My old 3.5 inch mount was just too low.

That’s all for now.

Dan and Susan
Old 03-16-2012, 06:46 PM   #16

Name: Nick
Trailer: OutdoorsRV
Texas
Hey Dan - know what you mean about giving up the truck bed. I seriously debated a 16fter but since I'll most be living full time in it I decided the 5er was a better fit. I'll do something to reclaim some of that lost storage space.

Nick
Rvicsvol is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
all-electric, layout number 7, scamp