Our Scamp is totaled - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2014, 10:29 AM   #21

Trailer: 24 ft 5th Wheel Shadow Cruiser
Get a new one and fall in love with it,,,don,t let the Ins.Co low ball the pay off...Ron
Ron Humerickhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:49 AM   #22

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
What an awful experience! So glad to hear no one was hurt. Like others have said...fall in love with your next Scamp.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:57 PM   #23

Name: David
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
Sorry to hear this sad news.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
DaMScampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 02:08 PM   #24

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Ken, I hope you are looking forward to your brand new Scamp and will have it soon. What a shame and a lot of trouble but perhaps you will like the next one even better.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 02:11 PM   #25

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
Bummer!

Glad you were not hurt!

Spanke
Old 08-03-2014, 03:52 PM   #26

Name: Ken
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 16' deluxe 2008 FJ Cruiser
Pennsylvania
Cathi. We are not ordering our new Scamp till late winter. I am not traveling to Backus with snow on the ground. If we ordered now it would be late Oct. for pickup. This will give us time to think of any changes we might make. Also no check yet.
Ken
Ken in Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 03:57 PM   #27

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
So very sorry for your loss, glad you are Okay, that's the important thing. Hope you can get a new one.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:04 PM   #28

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken in Pa View Post
Cathi. We are not ordering our new Scamp till late winter. I am not traveling to Backus with snow on the ground. If we ordered now it would be late Oct. for pickup. This will give us time to think of any changes we might make. Also no check yet.
Ken
You definitely want the check in hand first, yes. So that is very unfortunate that you will be without a trailer for quite a while. On the other hand, I guess you can buy anything you want if you should be interested in a different model or trailer.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:26 PM   #29

Name: Ken
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 16' deluxe 2008 FJ Cruiser
Pennsylvania
We have a teardrop that we are using. Its hard going back to no bathroom.
Ken in Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:50 PM   #30

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
Pennsylvania
totaled scamp

Ken,
I'm sorry this happened and its very good no one was hurt. Still its a big pita.
I suggest you order the Scamp now and have the insurance company or the company that owned the truck that hit you, pay for delivery to your door. New bikes, bike rack and the cost of any mods you have done to your camper should also be part of the settlement. And until its delivered, they should pay for you to rent a travel trailer for your use until the Scamp is delivered. If they whine, ask them if they think you should get a lawyer.
Steve
starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:22 PM   #31

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
That sounds like an excellent idea. Don't give up too quickly.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:46 PM   #32

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
First, I'm just happy to hear that no one was hurt, but gosh, what a shame. I hope the process for getting a new Scamp goes smoothly for you and that you'll soon be out traveling again.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:01 PM   #33

Trailer: Casita
Registry
This brings to mind something that I intend to try to do. Add a third break light. It is a proven researched fact that it reduces and rate of rear end collisions. Here are some web sites. History of Flashing Third Brake Light - Safe Braking Technology
http://http://www.apa.org/research/action/brake.aspx
I think we should as a group ask the camper manufacturers to do this as part of their build. One thing I am going to do is put my receiver hitch light in the receiver of my camper when. I will have to add some wiring to give it power.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:07 PM   #34

Trailer: Casita
Registry
If it is going to get junked by the insurance company ask where it's going to go. Likely some salvage company. Post the info here. Over the years I have seen quite a few people looking for parts posting requests. It's a way we can help each other and some good coming from this.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:45 PM   #35

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I just realized this is Ken and Pat that we met at Fish Creek. Sorry for your loss. Just more to deal with and good there was no injury. This must be a bad year for fiberglass campers as a Uhaul owner had their trailer rear ended. Theirs is probably fixable but no one yet wants to retrieve it from Wyoming to attempt the repair. We alternate between the teardrop and the Uhaul.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:28 PM   #36

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
...Materials can be replaced , you and your companions are OK is most important. My suggestion thru your photos is : Due to your trailer's tail lights are too small, with the rear bicycles hanging there, some one could point out as of your faults, some sorts of blocking rear end signals in case of accident...Just look at my photos, my modification for extended rack is clearly stayed away from tail lights. It has rear receiver to insert bike rack but I NEVER USE IT ON THE ROAD. In fact, all of my bikes are stored INSIDE the Trillium ( maximum 5 bicycles at one time)...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG493.jpg   IMG580.jpg  

Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:14 AM   #37

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I mounted an extra set of lights on our rear bike rack for better visibility from behind.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:09 AM   #38

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken in Pa View Post
A little buffing compound and wax good as new huh, LOL
Ken
Hi: Ken in Pa... At least you've kept your sense of humour!!! I'm glad my wife insisted we get the extra set of lights on "Escape Hatch II".
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
004.JPG  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:44 AM   #39

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I feel for you.
We had a driverless car roll into the side of our trailer a few weeks back. A few hours passed before the police finally authorized a tow truck to separate the two. Only then did we realize the corner of the car that we thought had penetrated our trailer had been knocked off by the hyrdo pole it hit a few feet before.

During that time all I could imagine was Phil4500's write off a few years earlier. Turns out all we had was a few smudges in the gel coat and stickers. Most of that was from the tow truck jerk.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:42 AM   #40

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot
Newfoundland & Labrador
I had to take a day to think about this. We lost a Trillium about 20 years ago. It got loose and rolled. Heartbreaking is one word that comes to mind. Shock, that lasts a while is another. Thankfully, no personal injuries and material things can be replaced.
On the practical side of things, if you can buy back the damaged trailer after the settlement, there is a treasure trove of items [and I don't mean monetarily] that can be recycled to the RV community. Perhaps this is just the glimmer of a silver lining in all this. Good luck with it and please keep us posted. Scouter Dave

Tags
scamp