Our Scamp is totaled - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-04-2014, 09:15 AM   #41

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Thought Ken made it clear he was sitting at a stop light when rear ended not moving.

Some may be surprised at how much damage can cost to repair at a shop.
My 91 Bigfoot was broken into in March via a window at first glance window lock broken, screen cut open, blind torn from the wall, then I noticed the wall was soft the window had been left open after the break in allowing water in to the wall.
The shop had to remove the stove, sink, and other things to replace the wall section. Insurance estimate 1700.00 work is being done now.
Had a quick look at the repair in progress Saturday and they managed a fairly close match on the wall panel.
Trailer is all original and in mint condition worth top dollar so other shops have told me.

Dan
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:10 PM   #42

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
Ouch! Poor scampers. Glad you are okay but you must be so frustrated. Sorry.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:54 PM   #43

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken in Pa View Post
frame is bent, shell is crushed, all cabinets on curb side are pushed forward and cracked, back window broken out.
The bumper on the trailer is obviously bent. Is there more damage to the frame? The shell can be repaired. The cupboards replaced. I would like a closer look, but I think this is repairable. Not by me mind you, I have plenty of repairs of my own to do.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:34 PM   #44

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
Looking at the pics I have seen worse than that repaired.. Yes anything is replaceable, but your health and life are more important than material things.

Good luck with the insurance claim. Hope all works out well.

None of us ever wants to go through this but life happens.

I agree with what everyone else said about high mount brake lights. I am going to put one on the back of my Boler now for sure.

Rick

Quote:
Thanks for the concern. We did not get hurt in the accident thanks.
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:29 PM   #45

Name: will
Trailer: 16' Scamp
Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
I just realized this is Ken and Pat that we met at Fish Creek. Sorry for your loss. Just more to deal with and good there was no injury. This must be a bad year for fiberglass campers as a Uhaul owner had their trailer rear ended. Theirs is probably fixable but no one yet wants to retrieve it from Wyoming to attempt the repair. We alternate between the teardrop and the Uhaul.
Where in Wyoming is this? PM me , I might be able to help.

Will
Wyowill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:59 AM   #46

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Hi Ken,
I feel sad for you and am very sorry to hear about your Scamp accident. Just to echo Floyd's post about Scamp factory...I bought a Scamp that had been in an accident, and was repaired at the factory. I have pictures to prove it...ripped up in front pretty bad.
All that's left of my accident are stress cracks now, which Scamp told me can pop up after a repair has been made. Better to have the shell completely tear than flex. I have long ones on the roof, radius cracks by windows, behind wheel well and around door. I have used the Captain Tolley's on those, and so far, no leaks. Never did leak anyway.
I'm not sure which route you're going to take with the trailer, but I did want to offer you some hope. My warmest wishes to you.

Wendy
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:26 AM   #47

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Makes me sick. So sorry. Hope the insurance doesn't jerk you around.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:28 PM   #48

Name: Sandy
Trailer: Dolphin 15 ft
Ottawa, ON
Registry
Heartbreaking! Glad everyone is ok. Maybe the other driver was texting or on the phone? Maybe that would help your case.....
SeansmomSandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:01 AM   #49

Name: Chester
Trailer: Scamp
New York
Quote:
Cathi. We are not ordering our new Scamp till late winter. I am not traveling to Backus with snow on the ground. If we ordered now it would be late Oct. for pickup. This will give us time to think of any changes we might make. Also no check yet.
Ken
Hi Ken, i hope you have your check from insurance.I just bought a Scamp that had been in an accident and looking at pictures i think i bought yours. Will post some pictures tomorrow.
Slavcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 04:39 AM   #50

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slavcha View Post
Hi Ken, i hope you have your check from insurance.I just bought a Scamp that had been in an accident and looking at pictures i think i bought yours. Will post some pictures tomorrow.

Ken,
Interesting situation. If Slavcha is correct and the insurance company has sold him your trailer before paying you, it might be interesting to inform the insurance company that you are thinking about repairing the trailer yourself and see if they squirm!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 09-13-2014, 05:46 AM   #51

Name: Janice & Rick
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Nova Scotia
Registry
Very frightening. So glad nobody was hurt. This is the first time I have not carried insurance on a travel trailer - thinking maybe perhaps I should now. I find drivers on the road are so much more impatient now . . . . or maybe it's just me. . . . nope - others complaining too.

Again - glad you are all well !!
JRTrillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 06:20 AM   #52

Nova Scotia
Registry
Hello Ken, I noticed you carried two bikes on the back of your Scamp. I would like to do that as well with my Trillium 1300. Was actually advised not to as it would cause sway. How did you find it with the bikes? Would you recommend it?
Old 09-13-2014, 06:44 AM   #53

Name: Ken
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 16' deluxe 2008 FJ Cruiser
Pennsylvania
Just wanted to let everyone know we have been paid. Our insurance agent said she was surprised how well we did. Her idea not mine. the Scamp is gone I keep thinking I should have bought it back but I have enough problems.
Slaucha If there are 3 small white square about 1" hooks in the shower above the door for a shower curtain its a good chance its ours. Also a extra 110 plug behind your calf when sitting at the side dinet.
Bike rack. The trailer didn't sway with the bikes on but I also used a Andersen wd/sway control.
Ken & Pat
Ken in Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 06:48 AM   #54

Pennsylvania
Insurance. I carry it. I let the insurance co. pay me then let them fight to get there money back. They have more muscle than me.
Ken
Old 09-13-2014, 09:13 AM   #55

Nova Scotia
Registry
Glad you were compensated, Ken. And, thanks for the bike/insurance advice.

On the bright side - I hope you find exactly what you are looking for in your new home on wheels.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:42 AM   #56

New York
Glad to hear Ken that you got paid and that the insurance worked out well for you From the paperwork that I got with it, it was the state farm that sold it. Here are some pics that I took today. I believe that it is the same one as it has the 3 hooks that you mentioned in the shower, it has missing front dinett cushions. My plan is to get it fixed by spring time.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:18 AM   #57

Pennsylvania
Slaucha yup that was ours. I wish you good luck in fixing the trailer. Everything worked well for us. I had blue tape on most everything wrong explaining. I was told the frame was bent. also check the floor mounts on the back floor. The rear dinnet is wider in the back than the front. Rip out the shelves I built in the front closet I am sure a child could do better. We loved that trailer and hope you will too. We will be ordering our new one this month.
Ken and Pat
Old 09-14-2014, 02:54 PM   #58

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
It would be interesting to hear how much you had to pay State Farm for this fixer-upper.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 09:15 PM   #59

New York
$7000 plus i have to pay $200 inspection fee after i get it fixed.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:19 PM   #60

New York
Thanks Ken. Good luck on new trailer.

Tags
scamp