Our Year for Fall Foliage Colors - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-13-2017, 11:03 AM   #1

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
Our Year for Fall Foliage Colors

Would appreciate any info on how to hit the color changes in the Northeast. Tried 4 years ago by taking a cruise out of NY and missed it It is a long way from Dallas and we would even consider something closer in the MI, MN, area also. Seems hard to plan it at the best times. We have driven across to the Carolinas but nothing farther north. It was spectacular to us and can't imagine anything better, but... it must be the call of the wild. From looking online, there seems to be plenty of campgrounds but it looks as if a lot of them close in early to mid October. A guy I met last year, that used to live in MI., said that I needed to start watching for the night temperatures to get in the 38 degree range.
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:09 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
While there are a number of websites that report the color change timing, I like The Foliage Network. They provide current as well as historic data, and cover the Northeast, Southeast & Midwest.

You are right about campgrounds closing. I've found many Adirondack campgrounds closed during the peak color times, some as early as Labor Day.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:13 AM   #3

Texas
Thanks Jon. I will check it out. Maybe you have some suggestions for NY. Thanks, dm
Old 09-14-2017, 10:02 AM   #4

Name: Kathy
Trailer: Scamp '19
Maine
Foliage in Maine

Generally it peaks here around the second week in October. Unfortunately, our local state park closes October 1. Some others stay open through October 16.

From the State Park website:
Beginning Monday, September 11, 2017, all campsites are first-come/first-serve. You can continue to camp through Columbus Day Week (October 16, 2017) at most parks but we recommend that you call the park to verify official closing dates.

Reservations: State Parks and Public Lands: Maine ACF

I prefer the week before the "peak" when the trees are more mixed. Also, consider the county fairs, and the Fryeburg Fair. Fryeburg Fair > Home

Enjoy!
Kathy Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:31 PM   #5

Name: jon
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' SD
Illinois
We are in the Adirondacks now at Fish Creek Pond. Colors are spectacular. Last year at the same time we missed it but hit it right on this year. Just like telling a good joke, timing is everything. Good luck!
Jon
jon carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 05:00 PM   #6

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Fall Color Finder: Minnesota State Parks and Trails: Minnesota DNR

We always spend the last week of September at the Grand Marais, MN municipal campground and take drives up in the woods from there.

If you head that way ask me where to go....Lutsen gondola ride for one, and Oberg "mountain" 2 mile hiking loop for another.

Our weather can be great or awful. Normally the maples are past peak by Oct 1 and the weather turns cold, windy, and wet. There is about a three day period that is perfect. Last two years were abnormal. It was not ever perfect those two years.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 05:21 PM   #7

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
https://www.visitcookcounty.com/adve...scenic-drives/

If this link works we drive # 3 and 4. Mt Oberg hike is our annual treat. In our 70's now so not sure how many more years we can do that hike. Now I will be checking out some of the other drives on this list. They are mostly dirt roads up in the woods.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 05:48 PM   #8

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Here in Western MA it's just stating, right around Columbus day is peak +/-. As mentioned, many public CG's close after Labor day, almost all of what's left close right after Columbus Day. You'll have better luck with commercial parks, many of which will be booked for leaf peep season.
Old 09-14-2017, 06:52 PM   #9

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
As a native San Franciscan and having lived in Boston for six years I grew to appreciate what is meant by the glorious colors of fall in the East coast. I have not experienced anything near as lovely here in California.

Since you have received responses from some people on the forum who live in the East I suggest you use them as your contacts for "leaf reports". It's too bad that your cruise did not hit the "leaf show" the year you went. It's tough to predict mother nature. We too, want to return East during fall foliage time but predictions can be dicey. We hope to go to Canada during the peak one day.

Because you'll be driving your trailer from Texas it can be difficult to time it right. As for campsites, take a look at www.HarvestHosts.com to peek at the farms, vintners and special attractions that may host you as an RV camper for FREE! There are sites all across the nation and their annual fee is nominal. We have used their services many times and cannot stop raving about our experiences.

Good luck and give us all a report!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 04:33 AM   #10

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
As said a lot of campgrounds will close the Columbus day weekend, which is early this year but here in Western Main and eastern NH the leaves are starting to change now but Peak is still a few weeks off.
Wal*Mart lets you park your camper in North Conway for a few night but it's not camping.
Send me a personal message...I may be able to help you, because I have worked at several campgrounds in the past 12 years and may have connections.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 03:12 PM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
NY colours NOW !

We just returned (Sept 17th) from a five day run to circle Lake Ontario. We were utterly amazed at the colour change already in the Adirondacks all the way up Highway 30 from Johnstown to the north boundary. Not peak change; but, well on the way ! (Buffalo to Johnstown was only fair for colour change, and Ontario has just started.)
Old 09-18-2017, 04:10 PM   #12
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
What makes the north different in terms of color are the maples. Sugar maples give yellow and orange and the reds come from the soft or red maple trees. Anywhere that produces maple syrup will have the trees. Here in central Vermont the colors are just beginning. I would guess things will peak in about two weeks. Accommodations are difficult to find this time of year. Like others have said, many campgrounds close Labor day and most motels are booked months in advance.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 04:37 PM   #13

Texas
I am afraid we will not be making it this year. We can not get away until the first or second week of Oct. and it is clear across the world from Dallas. Several have said there was already color in the Adirondacks. We may have to rethink our plans and try down around the Carolinas. I appreciate everyone's feedback.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:19 PM   #14

W. Mass
Denver is a 1000 miles closer to you then Vermont. The bright yellows of the Aspens are worth seeing.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:24 PM   #15

Texas
You are absolutely correct about the Aspens. We have done that. I went to Western State of Colorado one summer many years ago and every since, Colorado has been our get away place. Gunnison is one of favorite towns. We were both teachers and since we had to take additional classes to stay current, we couldn't see spending the hot summers in Tx. Thanks for the suggestion. It has been 4 summers since we have been back.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:56 AM   #16

Name: Stan
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull #63
Virginia
In Colorado you not only have the Aspens, but you have the Elk rutt in mid October. Something to see, 2 bull elk banging heads, then running around trying to keep their cows rounded up.

Stan
Stan and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 05:01 PM   #17

Texas
Thanks Stan. We have been there in Oct. but have never encountered a rut. Have seen small herds but I guess the timing wasn't right. Sounds like a great experience.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:33 PM   #18

W. Mass
RMNP was a good place for the Elk.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:39 PM   #19

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Well, next year if there's time, try to be in northern MN or the upper peninsula of MI around the 3rd week of September, and then meander slowly southward with the color change. Usually that 3rd week is peak for the UP, 4th week for northern lower MI, and 1st week of October for the middle/southern part of the state. Of course, it can vary somewhat with weather from year to year, but usually not too far off.

I've never been to norther Missouri for color, but some say it's decent. And usually their peak is around Oct. 20.

Around NE OK, our fall foliage is mostly plain-jane brown with an occasional bit of yellow or red... nothing to shout about.

I have seen plenty of ruts in my lifetime... all in the mud.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:47 PM   #20

Name: Tony
Trailer: Casita
New York
Foliage is late so far. I'm in the Champlain Valley on the NY side and we're still 2 weeks away from real color. We just got back from a week in Acadia NP, drove Rt. 2 back through Maine, northern NH and Vermont and its the same there, nothing close to peak. Honestly, I think anytime up to mid October would provide good leaf peeping. It may ,or may not, have gone past at the highest elevations but the valleys will hold on much longer.
Adirondack Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fall