Outback 13 versus Escape 13 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2009, 05:35 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Anyone own an Outback here (team trillium)? Looking at this or the 13 escape. Anyone know the differences between the two?

Sean Macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:25 PM   #2

Plain and simple---Get the Escape, you won't be sorry.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Plain and simple---Get the Escape, you won't be sorry.

Why get the escape over the Outback?

Old 08-17-2009, 06:47 PM   #4

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Hi Sean,

There are a lot of people who love the Escape trailers on this forum. Escape is a larger company so they may also be able to provide better support and references then Outback. That being said, there have been no complaints that I can remember about the Outback OR the Escape.

There are 3 companies now using the old 1970's Trillium Fiberglass Mold. Outback out of Calgary, Escape out of Chilliwack, and Trillium RV out of Nevada. Escape makes the mold's for Trillium RV company who then finish it in the USA

The big difference between the Escape and the Outback is the cabinets. Outback uses the original 70's design of all fiberglass cabinets inside (as does Trillium RV). Escape uses plywood cabinets. Most of the finishing equipment (applicances, wheels etc..) are all from similar companies with similar warranties.

Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Why get the escape over the Outback?
I have owned a Outback and a Escape. The workman ship in the Escape is much better.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:06 PM   #6

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I don't have any experience with the new companies, but one thing I really like about the original Trilliums (from the 70's) is all the jalousie windows. Plenty of air and ventilation, rain or shine, and even if you go out hiking (no debating "Should we leave the windows open? Do you think it might rain?").

It may very well be that Escape and Outback can put in jalousie windows; but it looks like the Trillium RV made in the US comes with radiused jalousie windows. (I have heard that Escape is very open to working with owners to customize trailers.)

Maybe a small detail, but it jumped out at me since I considered the windows to be one of the distinguishing features of the original Trilliums.

Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:11 PM   #7

Side tracking - I also like the jalousie windows and would not trade them BUT a.) they do let in dust on gravel roads and b.) everyone once in awhile I stick up my head and get a good size dent in it. Thankfully a previous owner ground down the corners and put on some putty =)
Old 08-17-2009, 07:50 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Surprisingly we don't have that many members with Outbacks The most currently active is theresa p. I bet she'd be approachable if you choose to ask her about the pros and cons about her trailer.

Since you live in Vancouver, it might be worth a trip to Chilliwack to see the build quality of the Escapes in person and to talk to Reace and Tammy. Buying a trailer is no small asset and you'll want to make sure you've chosen the best trailer for you.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:54 PM   #9

one thing that always stuck out in my memory was a member here called team trillium and received rude customer service over the phone and took their business elsewhere. That was a potential 13 grand customer.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:42 PM   #10

Quote:
one thing that always stuck out in my memory was a member here called team trillium and received rude customer service over the phone and took their business elsewhere. That was a potential 13 grand customer.
And I know that person-----And a few others.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:18 PM   #11

Well if you are in Vancouver and are looking at 13' Trillium style trailes maybe you should check out the 15' Escape are coming out with (based on the Trillium 4500 mold) in November. Still should be a reasonable weight. It's what I would get if I could justify the price - looking for a Trillium 4500 myself right now.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:50 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
While the idea behind jalousie windows is good regarding rain protection while open a bit, with sliders you can get dual glazed units. For me, that is much more important.

I have not see an Outback in person so can't comment on the comparison with Escape, but I can say I am very pleased with my Escape.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:05 AM   #13

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... I really shouldn't comment here as I'm biased. What I've heard about Outbacks unfriendly attitude would send me running!!! Escape is far more customer friendly and every owner will tell you that. Escapes attitude is "Have it your way" and it's the little things that count!!! The Trill. owner didn't know he could get a 110v recepticle on the outside of his unit!!!
We spent a wonderfull visit with TheresaP and her family, and friends, and their trailer is quite nice...but they purchased it from a dealer in N.B. and didn't deal with Outback in Calgary. They were very impressed with our Escape 5.0.
We were able to see both an '09 Escape 13'er. and an '09 Trillium 13'er. and talk at length with both owners, at Bolerama. Their units were still hot from the molds!!! Both of these shells are made by Escape but my choice is still the oak interior of the Escape. My 2 cents worth
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
__09_Trillium_by_Escape.jpg   cutest13__er.jpg  

Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:37 AM   #14

So when people are talking about the customers having bad experiences, I'm hearing "Team Trillium" and "Outback." So is this the Trillium in the USA (Trillium RV) or is this Outback?

(Note that I am not in the market for one.)
Old 08-18-2009, 07:11 AM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Team Trillium (Outback) is a Canadian company (Alberta). Trillium RV, the "original" Trillium is a US company (Carson City, NV).
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:52 AM   #16

There was a discussion in another thread about problems with Team Trilliums (Outback) customer service and in that thread there were both people who had problems and others who were very pleased with their service. That said I have heard no complaints about Escape's customer service.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:18 PM   #17

Thanks, Donna. The part I didn't have in my head was that Team Trillium and Outback were the same. Now I know.

Raya
Old 08-18-2009, 12:38 PM   #18

so what about trillium RV from the US...anyone have a new one of those??

Sean.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:08 PM   #19

yes, we have a few happy customers from trillium RV USA in this forum. Others will chime in if I'm wrong, but I think escape makes all the the fiberglass shells for that company.

Edit: can anyone share if Trillium RV USA is a one man operation? I can't get a feel for the size of the company from their website. Is the company run from a commercial building or the owners private residence? Thanks
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:58 PM   #20

Quote:
yes, we have a few happy customers from trillium RV USA in this forum. Others will chime in if I'm wrong, but I think escape makes all the the fiberglass shells for that company.

Edit: can anyone share if Trillium RV USA is a one man operation? I can't get a feel for the size of the company from their website. Is the company run from a commercial building or the owners private residence? Thanks

ya I'd like to know the same thing. I can't get a feel for their "company" either.

Tags
escape