outdoor camp kitchens - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-28-2007, 10:10 AM   #1

Trailer: '77 Triple E Surfside
With the majority of people on this forum camping in 13 to 17 foot Fiberglass RV's I was wondering if anyone owns and uses or has tried using an outdoor camp kitchen.

If seen several available such as the Coleman Exponent Outfitter Camp Kitchen, the GSI Outdoors Camp Gourmet Kitchen, the Lewis & Clark Folding Camp Kitchen or the Texsport Compact Camp Kitchen.

I'd love to hear people's reviews of these products if anyone has one of them.

Thanks
Attached Images

Old 08-28-2007, 11:21 AM   #2

Trailer: 1982 13 ft Scamp
I like the Cabela's Camper Kitchen because it has two canvas, zippered pantries. Comes in really handy!

Old 08-28-2007, 11:53 AM   #3

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Back in my early days of camping I built a camp kitchen. As the years rolled by it became more of a hassle than an asset. I discovered that what I really enjoyed about camping was NOT unpacking, setting up equipment then taking down and repacking, etc., etc. The enjoyment comes for being out without the hassles. The trailer simplifies that process a lot. Therefore for cooking outside, if there isn't a table to put the Coleman Fold-N-Go stove on, the roll up table comes out. The more simple things are the more time to enjoy nature and less time spent packing and unpacking.

Why complicate life with more stuff?

Also consider simple food that requires minimum cooking and more time to admire the flowers, watch a bird, watch the wind in the grass or read a book.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:01 PM   #4

Trailer: Eggless at the moment
Just bought the Lewis and Clark from Sam's. Will let you know after this weekend.

Bonnie
Old 08-28-2007, 12:11 PM   #5

Trailer: 1974 Ventura
The shower/toilet stall in Cabela's looks like a handy thing to have. It's pretty awkward travelling with a friend and hauling out the porti potti facing each other. Privacy in your own turlet would be be a bonus, anyone have one ? I would think though that some of the more glitzy, private places might looking unkindly on one being set up.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:56 PM   #6

Glad to see some responses.

If there are others out there that own an outdoor camp kitchen table type unit, please chime in and share your experiences and perhaps images and or Pro's and Con's to these units.

Thanks Byron too for your input. I totally agree that keeping things simple etc. can lead to to needed a product like this, but just thinking to my last camping trip with my wife and our dog and how we manage to fill our one picnic table up pretty fast with our coleman stove, wash basin, drying type rack/container, paper towels, utensils and of course leaving some place to eat etc.

I personally think there is merit to a product as such, especially since we don't carry any table with us, instead on relying on the picnic tables at the parks we camp at.

All good stuff though, Keep the replies coming.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:28 PM   #7

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
he shower/toilet stall in Cabela's looks like a handy thing to have. It's pretty awkward travelling with a friend and hauling out the porti potti facing each other. Privacy in your own turlet would be be a bonus, anyone have one ? I would think though that some of the more glitzy, private places might looking unkindly on one being set up.
Don't worry about it Bonnie... for the most part the "glitzy, private places" won't let an RV in without it being "fully self-contained" ... that means even Porta Potties (inside the trailer) more than likely aren't allowed.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 03:29 PM   #8

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Glad to see some responses.

Thanks Byron too for your input. I totally agree that keeping things simple etc. can lead to to needed a product like this, but just thinking to my last camping trip with my wife and our dog and how we manage to fill our one picnic table up pretty fast with our coleman stove, wash basin, drying type rack/container, paper towels, utensils and of course leaving some place to eat etc.

I personally think there is merit to a product as such, especially since we don't carry any table with us, instead on relying on the picnic tables at the parks we camp at.

All good stuff though, Keep the replies coming.
My point is keeping it simple is not to duplicate very much, 2 stoves is about it. One in the trailer one for outside that is small and compact. The other thing is more than one function for as much stuff as possible. Clothes is one area where this is easily done. That extra pair of pants can be accomplished with a pair of long johns and a pair of shorts. Less space, less weight.

It's a frame of mind. Some people enjoy packing up, hauling stuff out, and putting it away, which is fine if that's what you like to do. I eat to camp, some camp to eat. If you think you'd enjoy a camp kitchen and hauling it around, go for it. If not consider re-evaluating your stuff and methods. Which every enjoy your camping.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:31 PM   #9

Name: Pete
Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Tennessee
I thought about it many times but we just put up a screen room and use the campsite table inside. We also have a table we bring just in case.
We got it from Sam's club a few years ago and it folds into a sack the size of a chair.

But I still look at them with interest.
As for the "snooty" places we just pass them by.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:53 PM   #10

Name: Barbara
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
We bought one this year and found it to be very handy. It comes in it's own zippered bag and sets up in a couple of minutes. I made a vinyl cover to wrap around the outside. We really like it.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:58 PM   #11

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
.......model T hot-rodder buddys we travel with have just bought one for use with their woulden Tear Drop trailer. They seem to like it, like it ALOT!!!!
Old 08-28-2007, 07:46 PM   #12

Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
I have the previous version of the Cabelas camp kitchen, no sink, no hanging bags and it works great, but I don't take it if I'm going for less than a week, it's easy to set up and take down, about 2 minutes each way, it just takes up room and weight allowance, that I need for other junk.
My portable coleman and barbecue setup just as easy on the picnic table at the site, and I still plumb them into my trailer tanks.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:55 PM   #13

Trailer: Bigfoot
Eric,

We use a folding camp table with a grilling rack from Camping World. The metal part folds and attaches to the main table with velcro straps. It is light weight and multifunctional.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/in...m=21263:src=FPC

Nita
Old 08-28-2007, 09:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Eric,

We use a folding camp table with a grilling rack from Camping World. The metal part folds and attaches to the main table with velcro straps. It is light weight and multifunctional.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/in...m=21263:src=FPC

Nita
Thanks Nina, that unit looks pretty good.