Outside Dishwashing & Kitchens - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-03-2010, 08:40 AM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Rear Bed
During our last outing the campground host noticed the 5 gallon water jug sitting on our picnic table and made this comment. Instead of placing it directly on the table he suggested placing it on top of a milk crate with the open end facing outward and using a wash pan underneath. Now, why didn't I think of that? So now I'm wondering if there are any other tricks or setups that have escaped my imagination. I was thinking about getting one of those kitchen setups that has a surface for the stove, rack for utensils, etc. How well do they work? Not able to go camping this holiday weekend so might as well think about it.

Old 07-03-2010, 03:10 PM   #2

Trailer: 73 Boler
Quote:
During our last outing the campground host noticed the 5 gallon water jug sitting on our picnic table and made this comment. Instead of placing it directly on the table he suggested placing it on top of a milk crate with the open end facing outward and using a wash pan underneath. Now, why didn't I think of that? So now I'm wondering if there are any other tricks or setups that have escaped my imagination. I was thinking about getting one of those kitchen setups that has a surface for the stove, rack for utensils, etc. How well do they work? Not able to go camping this holiday weekend so might as well think about it.

We had a friend who purchased one of the instant kitchens. Used it once and now it is doing a great job collecting dust in her garage

Old 07-03-2010, 05:22 PM   #3

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Here's a collapsible sink... I have a smaller one for bicycle camping/touring...

Collapsible sink
Old 07-03-2010, 05:43 PM   #4

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Bil and his wife have one of those kitchen set up's. Lot nicer than some peoples kitchen , but I wouldn't drag that thing camping for love nor money. It's huge! I suppose if you were doing an extended trip it might be worth it. But for weekend get away, it wouldn't be something I would want to deal with.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:36 PM   #5

Name: N/A
Trailer: 1985 AND 1988 Casita Patriot Deluxe 13'ers. 10 eggs shy of a carton!
Oregon
Registry
I've seen some pretty cool home-made kitchen boxes. I think a lot of scout troops build them for their own use.

My car-camping setup

2- Buckets or Rubbermaid Bins for wash/rinse basins, storage (note, I usually just wipe down most stuff and re-wipe with vinegar, esp. when water is scarce). Buckets are great for storing lanterns. Pad them with table cloths/tarps/whatever.
1-Oversized strainer for straining gray water. Scrap window screen or old netting also works.
1-Roll-up camp table, folding table or wire shelving piece with improvised legs.
1-Luxury item ---> Coleman propane instant hot water heater for showers and kitchen. Of course, black buckets or black shower bags are also handy.
1- Sterilite Drawers for camp plates/bowls/cups/flatware/soap kits etc, though to be honest I find that they can be space-wasters ....balance that out with being able to see into drawers, and not having to unstack and re-stack bins all the time.
1-Camp stove. Honestly, most of the time a single-burner is just fine.
1-Baking soda
1-Vinegar. With these last two you can clean up anything without having to do much rinsing, and also help relieve bug stings.

When I bring along a 10x10 pop-up, or just run a tarp off my truck's roof rack, I'll string nylon cord or cargo netting and use keychain-sized carabiners to hold utensils and lighting in place. Lengths of PVC on cord make great paper roll holders.

It all comes down to what's easiest for you, and how you define "convenience".
Old 07-03-2010, 11:38 PM   #6

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
The milk crate idea is great because that same crate can be used to store items in until you get to the campsite. It can be used in a pinch as a step stool. If set on its side, you can store inside it and also on top. You can zip tie several together and use for closet shelving (I love things that have multiple uses! ) A milk crate takes up barely any room, can usually be gotten for free or nominal cost, does not need assembly, nor does it need any additional coverings or carrying cases. How great is that ?!!

I try to think this way about anythign that I bring into my camper. Just how much time do I want to spend setting up and taking down and how much extra stuff do I want to bring with me?
Old 07-04-2010, 01:20 AM   #7

Name: N/A
Trailer: 1985 AND 1988 Casita Patriot Deluxe 13'ers. 10 eggs shy of a carton!
Oregon
Registry
Thule apparently makes something for the outside of RVs. Just found a used one on Craigslist, with accessories:

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/rvs/1823905344.html
Old 07-04-2010, 06:58 AM   #8

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... For 3 years we've had an outside shower and never used it as such.
Hot and cold running water with a spray head/shut off. and taps.
Move the table there with a dishpan I feel so stupid.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
O_er_night_Escape.jpg  
Old 07-04-2010, 09:24 AM   #9

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Rear Bed
Quote:
We had a friend who purchased one of the instant kitchens. Used it once and now it is doing a great job collecting dust in her garage
Is this what she had? I thought of something similar before. Having another surface or two for the grill and preparing food would be nice. Seems like all of the outside stuff like the grill, lanterns, water jug, etc. gravitates to the picnic table leaving little room leftover. The few situations where a picnic table was not provided made the situation worse. Maybe a plain folding table will do with enough room for a grill, food prep. and the water jug over milk crate trick. I bought one of those propane trees that will allow us to put a lantern on top and light the area and also fuel the grill.

The collapsible sink is a good idea but I don't think we need to save that much space. An ordinary dishpan will probably suffice and like Pam states, it can serve double duty to store items in transit.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:55 AM   #10

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
Steve, we use one of these

It all folds down to 32"L x 11"W x 4-1/4"H for travelling. (we just toss it under the bed)

Living in a boler with the bed permanently set up and liking to cook was nearly impossible. I cannot make the meals that I want to make on less than 12" of countertop. There isn't always a picnic table and as already stated, it is a collection point for everything else so often has little room left.

We set up the "kitchen" under a 10x10 first up tent. Our coleman is on the lower table. We have some aluminum roll-top table surface for that space too) The spice tray is a permanent fixture on the top table. Our utensils hang from the uprights as well as paper towels. The wash basin sits on the ground under the whole affair until needed and holds the detergent and pot scrubbers. The coleman attaches to a propane tree and the lantern and bbq are also connected to it behind the kitchen and outside the shelter.

Along with more counter space, it leaves us with room to spare in the trailer (2 adults and 2 large dogs tend to bump into each other enough without avoiding the chef of the moment) and it gives me a morning spot to both make and enjoy my coffee without waking everyone else.

I like my camp kitchen.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:17 AM   #11

Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Mpls,Minnesota
Registry
Sometimes I take this camping

Name:   090517_07_1aALH.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  5.6 KB
Bought at walgreens for $19.99 .
VERY sturdy and has adjustable legs, also folds in half.